Wonderful name for server attampting to deliver me unsolicited "content"

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve B, May 6, 2006.

  1. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    Courtesy of the NZ Herald:

    Attempt to access a story hangs up on the message:

    "Transferring data from bs.serving-sys.com"

    I did not ask to be served with BS, and apparently the site in
    question (which traceroutes to "eyeblaster.sjz.navisite.com"
    [216.10.124.145]) can't even competently serve (or blast my eyes with)
    the BS that the Herald and its advertiser has apparently paid them
    for.

    At least I saw the story I wanted. What really hacks me off is when
    the display of the REAL content (the stuff I'm trying to see) gets
    hung up on a similar message and I'm faced with a blank page until
    they fix the BS server and I'm delivered my quota of bovine fecal
    matter.

    The Herald also has an occasional propensity to deliver multiple
    copies of its adverts, on their own in new browser pages - as many as
    a dozen of them - when I leave a Herald page sitting for a while - in
    Firefox, but I can't imagine MSIE does any better.

    Is this why we "need" broadband?

    Steve B.
    Steve B, May 6, 2006

  2. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    On Sun, 07 May 2006 07:08:39 +1200, Steve B
    <> wrote:

    >Courtesy of the NZ Herald:
    >
    >Attempt to access a story hangs up on the message:
    >
    >"Transferring data from bs.serving-sys.com"
    >
    >I did not ask to be served with BS, and apparently the site in
    >question (which traceroutes to "eyeblaster.sjz.navisite.com"
    >[216.10.124.145]) can't even competently serve (or blast my eyes with)
    >the BS that the Herald and its advertiser has apparently paid them
    >for.

    No, not advertising BS.

    "BS.Serving-Sys
    Category
    Tracking Cookie : Any cookie that is shared among two or more
    web pages for the purpose of tracking a user's surfing history."
    from Computer Associates' spyware dictionary.

    So it appears it's serving up "BS" (or at least information of
    marginal usefulness) from me to the Herald. As to whether it actually
    managed to do so or is malfunctioning, I've no idea.

    Privacy? What privacy?

    Steve B
    Steve B, May 7, 2006

  3. Steve B

    Rev. 9 11 Guest

    On , , Sun, 07 May 2006 07:08:39 +1200, Wonderful name for server
    attampting to deliver me unsolicited "content", Steve B
    <> wrote:

    >Courtesy of the NZ Herald:
    >
    >Attempt to access a story hangs up on the message:
    >
    >"Transferring data from bs.serving-sys.com"
    >
    >I did not ask to be served with BS, and apparently the site in
    >question (which traceroutes to "eyeblaster.sjz.navisite.com"
    >[216.10.124.145]) can't even competently serve (or blast my eyes with)
    >the BS that the Herald and its advertiser has apparently paid them
    >for.

    How much are you paying NZ Herald for the service?

    ---
    Rev. 9 11, May 7, 2006
  4. Steve B

    Geoff@home Guest

    Maybe it's attampting to download you a spelling-checker ?

    geoff
    Geoff@home, May 7, 2006