Woeful LAN Performance under Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jim Henriksen, Jan 21, 2010.

  1. I have a small wireless LAN at home. I'm running XP-32 on a desktop
    machine and Windows 7-64 (Home Premium Edition) on a laptop. Here's
    what I'm trying to do:

    1. From the laptop, I use the Explorer to bring up a directory tree
    (across the LAN) on the desktop machine.

    2. I select 2-3 files I'd like to transfer from the desktop machine to
    the laptop. The files are 1-2 MB in size.

    3. I right click on the group of selected files. At this point,
    there's a long pause and a flurry of activity on the wireless LAN. It
    appears as though Win 7 is reading all the selected files.

    4. I then click "Copy."

    5. Using the Explorer, I select a directory on the laptop machine,
    right click, and click "Paste" in the dialog that appears.

    6. There's another long pause as Win 7 appears to be reading the
    selected files again. The dialog that appears on the screen indicates
    that files are being "discovered."

    7. Finally, the copy begins, and Win 7 appears to be reading the files
    for a third time, which is s-l-o-w.

    8. If I'm overwriting existing copies of the transferred files, the
    progress bar for the copy operation turns red, and about 15 seconds
    later, a prompt appears, asking me whether I want to overwrite the
    existing copies, etc.

    All together, selecting and copying 2-3 files whose sizes are on the
    order of 1-2 MB takes several minutes, which is pretty wretched.

    Did MS really do such a lousy job of implementing mixed operating system
    networking, or am I missing an option or two that can speed things up?

    TIA.

    Jim Henriksen, Jan 21, 2010

  2. Jim Henriksen

    Jerry Guest

    Another place to look for help is the Win7 forum (there is no Win7
    newsgroup) at:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

    Jerry, Jan 21, 2010

  3. Jim Henriksen, Jan 21, 2010
  4. Jim Henriksen

    Kue2 Guest

    Kue2, Jan 22, 2010
  5. Jim Henriksen

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    > I have a small wireless LAN at home. I'm running XP-32 on a desktop
    > machine and Windows 7-64 (Home Premium Edition) on a laptop. Here's what
    > I'm trying to do:
    >
    > 1. From the laptop, I use the Explorer to bring up a directory tree
    > (across the LAN) on the desktop machine.
    >
    > 2. I select 2-3 files I'd like to transfer from the desktop machine to
    > the laptop. The files are 1-2 MB in size.
    >
    > 3. I right click on the group of selected files. At this point, there's
    > a long pause and a flurry of activity on the wireless LAN. It appears as
    > though Win 7 is reading all the selected files.
    >
    > 4. I then click "Copy."
    >
    > 5. Using the Explorer, I select a directory on the laptop machine, right
    > click, and click "Paste" in the dialog that appears.
    >
    > 6. There's another long pause as Win 7 appears to be reading the selected
    > files again. The dialog that appears on the screen indicates that files
    > are being "discovered."
    >
    > 7. Finally, the copy begins, and Win 7 appears to be reading the files
    > for a third time, which is s-l-o-w.
    >
    > 8. If I'm overwriting existing copies of the transferred files, the
    > progress bar for the copy operation turns red, and about 15 seconds later,
    > a prompt appears, asking me whether I want to overwrite the existing
    > copies, etc.
    >
    > All together, selecting and copying 2-3 files whose sizes are on the order
    > of 1-2 MB takes several minutes, which is pretty wretched.
    >
    > Did MS really do such a lousy job of implementing mixed operating system
    > networking, or am I missing an option or two that can speed things up?

    Vista and Winn 7 introduced some networking "optimizations" which may not
    always inter-operate nicely. Performance improves when all components
    (switches, routers, other computers) support those enhancements. Performance
    drops badly if something doesn't support the enhancements.

    This link doesn't really explain much, but does include commands you can try
    to disable the "enhancements" in Win7:
    http://blogs.technet.com/networking...imney-offload-on-viewing-network-traffic.aspx

    You can search on some of the terms in that article for more explanations.

    Paul Shapiro, Jan 22, 2010
  6. Jim Henriksen, Jan 22, 2010
  7. Dear Paul:

    Thanks for the tip. I'm reluctant to try changing things when I don't
    know what they are, e.g., chimneys, etc.

    What I'm trying to do is extremely vanilla. It shouldn't be this difficult.

    Jim Henriksen, Jan 22, 2010
  8. None the less, Paul has pointed you in the right direction. You need to
    either disable the advanced features introduced in the Vista/Server2k8
    TCP/IP networking stack, or upgrade your downlevel machines to at least
    Vista.

    In _some_ cases, upgrading your network card drivers to the latest version
    available directly from the OEM will help, since the built in drivers aren't
    always fully optimized. I'd start by trying that. But if that doesn't help,
    then disabling advanced networking features is called for until you can
    upgrade your XP machine(s) to Vista/Win7.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 22, 2010
  9. Jim Henriksen

    XS11E Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote:

    > Another place to look for help is the Win7 forum (there is no Win7
    > newsgroup)

    There IS a Windows7 newsgroup, it's alt.windows7.general which isn't
    available on all servers but AIOE carries it among others...

    http://news.aioe.org/

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jan 22, 2010
  10. Dear Charlie and other responders:

    I tried fiddling around with throttling back the TCPIP advanced
    features, per the suggestions offered above in this thread. While there
    may (?) have been some improvement in transfer speeds, the basic problem
    persists. In other words, Windows 7 is doing the same crappy things,
    but only marginally faster, if faster at all.

    All the difficulties I reported in my original post continue.

    When it takes 2-3 minutes to transfer three files comprising a total of
    4-5 MB, something is dreadfully wrong. When it takes 15-20 seconds for
    a dialog box to pop up after the progress bar turns red, something is
    dreadfully wrong. When files are read three times to accomplish a
    simple file copy, something is dreadfully wrong. When Windows takes 45
    seconds to "discover" files, something is dreadfully wrong. What is
    there to discover? I've already told Windows which files to transfer.

    My Windows 7 machine has a preloaded copy of Norton Antivirus. (I'll be
    switching to Avast fairly soon.) Disabling NAV doesn't help, either.

    What I'm trying to do is not rocket science. Having to "upgrade my
    *downlevel* machines" is unacceptable. Transferring files between XP
    and Windows 7 machines is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. What am I
    missing?

    Jim Henriksen, Jan 25, 2010
  11. Jim Henriksen

    Tom Lake Guest

    > My Windows 7 machine has a preloaded copy of Norton Antivirus. (I'll be
    > switching to Avast fairly soon.) Disabling NAV doesn't help, either.

    Disabling it won't help. You have to uninstall it or it still gets in the
    way.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Jan 25, 2010
  12. And uninstalling NAV will not clean everything off your computer. I
    discovered this a few years ago when I kept having certain problems
    after I uninstalled NAV. I had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall
    Windows to get rid of the NAV virus!

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 25, 2010