    to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
    problems and I believe this could be another problem.

    Thanks

    Lookout, Nov 8, 2007

  2. Lookout wrote:
    > Win XP SP2
    > Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
    > don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
    > may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
    > out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
    > that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
    > to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
    > problems and I believe this could be another problem.

    ZoneAlarm

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 8, 2007

  3. Lookout

    Andromeda Guest

    guess the only way (that i know anway) to check is run a netstat when your
    not playing this file and noting how many ports are open (established) and
    then running a netstat when the .wmv file is playing

    Andromeda, Nov 8, 2007
  4. Lookout

    Andromeda Guest

    yep zone alarm tends to block everything

    what programme have you downloaded by the way?

    Andromeda, Nov 8, 2007
  5. Lookout

    pcbuilder98 Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > Win XP SP2
    > Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
    > don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
    > may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
    > out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
    > that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
    > to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
    > problems and I believe this could be another problem.
    >
    > Thanks

    CurrPorts will tell you in real time what ports are open and what sites they
    are talking to:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
    Can also close ports (temporially) too. No install. Just run the
    executiable.
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 8, 2007
  6. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 11:05:00 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Lookout wrote:
    >> Win XP SP2
    >> Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
    >> don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
    >> may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
    >> out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
    >> that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
    >> to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
    >> problems and I believe this could be another problem.

    >ZoneAlarm

    I don't have ZoneAlarm installed.
    And the only change was that one program and I can't see a video
    program BLOCKING a port.

    Lookout, Nov 8, 2007
  7. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:40:53 -0600, "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com>
    wrote:

    >"Lookout" <> wrote in message
    >> Win XP SP2
    >> Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
    >> don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
    >> may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
    >> out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
    >> that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
    >> to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
    >> problems and I believe this could be another problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >CurrPorts will tell you in real time what ports are open and what sites they
    >are talking to:
    >http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
    >Can also close ports (temporially) too. No install. Just run the
    >executiable.

    Thanks. If I've reading this correctly trying to run one of the WMVs
    doesn't seem to open or try to open a port. I guess that means this
    isn't the problem. These are WMVs that others can open with no
    problem. WMP Classic says it can't render file. WMV is associated with
    WMP also.
    Strange..I wonder what that other program did.

    Thanks

    Lookout, Nov 8, 2007
  8. Lookout

    Guest

    Lookout <> wrote:

    >Win XP SP2
    >Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
    >don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
    >may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
    >out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
    >that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
    >to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
    >problems and I believe this could be another problem.

    Tcpview will show what program is access the net
    www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/TcpView.mspx
    It's part of my security (I use zone alarm)

    Also give VLC a try it will play almost anything.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

    I'm not a big fan of WMP so my WMV files play with irfanview
    Ones Irfanview can't play VLC will do the trick :)
    http://www.irfanview.com/ (with plugins)

    --

    Remember the Dell Dude?
    He's now waiting tables at Tortilla Flats

    , Nov 8, 2007
  9. Lookout

    ded Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks. If I've reading this correctly trying to run one of the WMVs
    > doesn't seem to open or try to open a port. I guess that means this
    > isn't the problem. These are WMVs that others can open with no
    > problem. WMP Classic says it can't render file. WMV is associated with
    > WMP also.
    > Strange..I wonder what that other program did.
    >
    > Thanks

    So there was an error message, start here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234019/en-us

    ded, Nov 8, 2007
  10. Lookout

    dadiOH Guest

    Lookout wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 11:05:00 -0500, Rôgêr <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Lookout wrote:
    >>> Win XP SP2
    >>> Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
    >>> don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe
    >>> they may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How
    >>> can I find out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is
    >>> there a program that will alert me when a port is being opened or
    >>> at least attempting to open? I recently installed a new program
    >>> with has caused other problems and I believe this could be
    >>> another problem.

    >> ZoneAlarm

    > I don't have ZoneAlarm installed.

    So why did you ask...

    "Is there a program that will alert me when a port is being opened or
    at least attempting to open?"

    if you didn't want an answer?

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Nov 8, 2007
  11. Lookout

    who'sthat Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:48:34 GMT, "dadiOH" <>
    wrote:

    >Lookout wrote:
    >> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 11:05:00 -0500, Rôgêr <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> ZoneAlarm

    >> I don't have ZoneAlarm installed.

    >So why did you ask...
    >
    >"Is there a program that will alert me when a port is being opened or
    >at least attempting to open?"
    >
    >if you didn't want an answer?

    Sorry...I thought you meant that ZoneAlarm might be blocking it.

    who'sthat, Nov 8, 2007
  12. Lookout

    who'sthat Guest

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:44:20 -0000, "ded" <>
    wrote:

    >"Lookout" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Thanks. If I've reading this correctly trying to run one of the WMVs
    >> doesn't seem to open or try to open a port. I guess that means this
    >> isn't the problem. These are WMVs that others can open with no
    >> problem. WMP Classic says it can't render file. WMV is associated with
    >> WMP also.
    >> Strange..I wonder what that other program did.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >So there was an error message, start here:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234019/en-us

    The message is:
    Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For
    additional assistance, click Web Help

    I've reinstalled WMP and Direct X
    I've even installed VLC just out of curiosity. With that they either
    won't play or the picture is scrambled as is the audio.

    who'sthat, Nov 8, 2007
  13. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    Lookout, Nov 8, 2007
  14. Lookout

    pcbuilder98 Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:40:53 -0600, "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > >> Win XP SP2
    > >> Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
    > >> don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
    > >> may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
    > >> out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a program
    > >> that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least attempting
    > >> to open? I recently installed a new program with has caused other
    > >> problems and I believe this could be another problem.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

    > >CurrPorts will tell you in real time what ports are open and what sites

    they
    > >are talking to:
    > >http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
    > >Can also close ports (temporially) too. No install. Just run the
    > >executiable.

    > Thanks. If I've reading this correctly trying to run one of the WMVs
    > doesn't seem to open or try to open a port. I guess that means this
    > isn't the problem. These are WMVs that others can open with no
    > problem. WMP Classic says it can't render file. WMV is associated with
    > WMP also.
    > Strange..I wonder what that other program did.
    >
    > Thanks

    Are these files on your HD. Did they previously work correctly and now they
    don't? What other program are you talking about?
    --
    pcbuilder98

    pcbuilder98, Nov 8, 2007
  15. Lookout

    who'sthat Guest

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:50:02 -0600, "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com>
    wrote:

    >"Lookout" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:40:53 -0600, "pcbuilder98" <pcbuilder98@_.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Lookout" <> wrote in message

    >> >CurrPorts will tell you in real time what ports are open and what sites

    >they
    >> >are talking to:
    >> >http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
    >> >Can also close ports (temporially) too. No install. Just run the
    >> >executiable.

    >> Thanks. If I've reading this correctly trying to run one of the WMVs
    >> doesn't seem to open or try to open a port. I guess that means this
    >> isn't the problem. These are WMVs that others can open with no
    >> problem. WMP Classic says it can't render file. WMV is associated with
    >> WMP also.
    >> Strange..I wonder what that other program did.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >Are these files on your HD. Did they previously work correctly and now they
    >don't? What other program are you talking about?

    Yes, on my HD. Just downloaded but others can view them with WMP and
    VLC.
    The other program is a video converter. It reassigned all video and
    audio extensions to open with it until I changed the settings.

    who'sthat, Nov 8, 2007
  16. Lookout

    Guest

    Mcsetutorial. info is your gateway to the best
    sites on the Internet for microsoft
    certification tutorial! looking for Computers,
    Domain Names,or Education? Browse our
    recomended resources of just try the
    Mcsetutorial.info search.
    http://mcsetutorial.info/

    , Nov 8, 2007

  20. Lookout

    chuckcar Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:31:51 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> Lookout <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Win XP SP2
    >>>Many.WMV files won't play suddenly. They are NOT DRM files...they
    >>>don't make you connect to a site to view them however I believe they
    >>>may be trying to at least hit the net for some reason. How can I find
    >>>out if a port is being hit when one of these plays? Is there a
    >>>program that will alert me when a port is being opened or at least
    >>>attempting to open? I recently installed a new program with has
    >>>caused other problems and I believe this could be another problem.

    Any decent firewall program will do that. Outpost is another. It has one
    bug though - when your using DSL it will detect an IP being given as a
    connection attempt.

    > The message is:
    > Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For
    > additional assistance, click Web Help
    >
    > I've reinstalled WMP and Direct X
    > I've even installed VLC just out of curiosity. With that they either
    > won't play or the picture is scrambled as is the audio.

    Sounds like it's one of two things: 1) a corrupted file (most likly) or
    2) corrupted codec. You might try uninstalling/reinstalling the codec
    package(s) for what shows up when you do properties when you have it
    open in WMP.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 8, 2007