    in Mozilla 1.6 I get computer language. I have Windows media player 9
    installed. Any Ideas?

    Himm
    Himm, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Himm

    Soz Guest

    I get the same problem with .rar .xvb .xvbenc
    Have to use IE to download these as Mozilla opens them in the browser as
    text.
    If i right click and select save link target as , it saves the page the
    file is on EG; downloads.php

    In article <glBUb.4017$>, himm67
    @adelphia.net says...

    Soz, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Himm

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Soz wrote:

    > I get the same problem with .rar .xvb .xvbenc
    > Have to use IE to download these as Mozilla opens them in the browser as
    > text.
    > If i right click and select save link target as , it saves the page the
    > file is on EG; downloads.php
    >
    > In article <glBUb.4017$>, himm67
    > @adelphia.net says...
    >
    >>I can open a web page with the extension .wmv in Internet Explorer, but
    >>in Mozilla 1.6 I get computer language. I have Windows media player 9
    >>installed. Any Ideas?
    >>
    >>Himm

    In these cases the problem is that the web server is mis-configured and
    is sending those files as text/plain instead of the correct MIME type.
    Mozilla is correctly reading thet MIME type as sent by the server and
    displaying the file contents in a browser window. Mozilla is working
    correctly, it is compliant with W3C standards. Send an email to the web
    master and let them know that their server is mis-configured.

    FYI, IE /may/ handle this issue by guessing at the file type by
    examining the file extension. However, this is not correct and it may
    be a security issue.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Feb 7, 2004
  4. Himm

    Soz Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Soz wrote:
    >
    > > I get the same problem with .rar .xvb .xvbenc
    > > Have to use IE to download these as Mozilla opens them in the browser as
    > > text.
    > > If i right click and select save link target as , it saves the page the
    > > file is on EG; downloads.php
    > >
    > > In article <glBUb.4017$>, himm67
    > > @adelphia.net says...
    > >
    > >>I can open a web page with the extension .wmv in Internet Explorer, but
    > >>in Mozilla 1.6 I get computer language. I have Windows media player 9
    > >>installed. Any Ideas?
    > >>
    > >>Himm
    > >>

    > In these cases the problem is that the web server is mis-configured and
    > is sending those files as text/plain instead of the correct MIME type.
    > Mozilla is correctly reading thet MIME type as sent by the server and
    > displaying the file contents in a browser window. Mozilla is working
    > correctly, it is compliant with W3C standards. Send an email to the web
    > master and let them know that their server is mis-configured.
    >
    > FYI, IE /may/ handle this issue by guessing at the file type by
    > examining the file extension. However, this is not correct and it may
    > be a security issue.

    One would thing it more a security issue with Mozzila automaticaly

    With IE at least it gives you an option asking what you want to to with
    the file, this would seem more secure.

    Seems IE is doing things the right way by determining the file extension
    whereas Mozilla simply obeys what the server says, this would seem less
    secure.

    I guess theres a reason over 90% use IE - IT WORKS albeit I still
    prefer Mozilla even though it still has a few of these minor quirks.

    Guess i'll just have to switch over to IE to download some of these
    files that Mozilla chokes on.
    Soz, Feb 7, 2004
  5. Himm

    Soz Guest

    Found a simply workaround.
    When the page loads up the .xvb .xvbenc etc Just click file > save as
    and it will save the actual file.

    I can put away IE again :)

    In article <>, says...

    Soz, Feb 7, 2004
  6. Soz wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>Soz wrote:
    >>

    >>>I get the same problem with .rar .xvb .xvbenc
    >>>Have to use IE to download these as Mozilla opens them in the browser as
    >>>text.
    >>>If i right click and select save link target as , it saves the page the
    >>>file is on EG; downloads.php
    >>>
    >>>In article <glBUb.4017$>, himm67
    >>>@adelphia.net says...

    >>In these cases the problem is that the web server is mis-configured and
    >>is sending those files as text/plain instead of the correct MIME type.
    >>Mozilla is correctly reading thet MIME type as sent by the server and
    >>displaying the file contents in a browser window. Mozilla is working
    >>correctly, it is compliant with W3C standards. Send an email to the web
    >>master and let them know that their server is mis-configured.
    >>
    >>FYI, IE /may/ handle this issue by guessing at the file type by
    >>examining the file extension. However, this is not correct and it may
    >>be a security issue.
    >>

    > One would thing it more a security issue with Mozzila automaticaly
    >
    > With IE at least it gives you an option asking what you want to to with
    > the file, this would seem more secure.
    >
    > Seems IE is doing things the right way by determining the file extension
    > whereas Mozilla simply obeys what the server says, this would seem less
    > secure.
    >
    > I guess theres a reason over 90% use IE - IT WORKS albeit I still
    > prefer Mozilla even though it still has a few of these minor quirks.
    >
    > Guess i'll just have to switch over to IE to download some of these
    > files that Mozilla chokes on.

    Lord, IE's behavior is a security nightmare! If its an exe file, it
    will execute, and what ever will be foited upon your system.
    This bug has been fixed, and will be in the 1.7 release. Users will be
    offered a download, and open with default program. As always, Moz will
    not execute exectable files.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 7, 2004
  7. Himm

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 2/6/04 7:56 PM, Soz typed wildly with reckless abandon:

    > Guess i'll just have to switch over to IE to download some of these
    > files that Mozilla chokes on.

    Or when coming across a file like that, just goto "file -> save page as"

    --
    All my life I said I wanted to be someone...I can see now that I should
    have been more specific.
    A Hess, Feb 7, 2004
  8. Himm

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 2/6/04 8:38 PM, Soz typed wildly with reckless abandon:

    > Found a simply workaround.
    > When the page loads up the .xvb .xvbenc etc Just click file > save as
    > and it will save the actual file.
    >
    > I can put away IE again :)

    ha ha, I didn't read this post before I replied to your other post... oh
    well, carry on. Aron

    --
    Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand. -
    Confucius
    A Hess, Feb 7, 2004
  9. Himm

    Soz Guest

    In article <Np%Ub.191867$6y6.3708093@bgtnsc05-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...

    > Lord, IE's behavior is a security nightmare! If its an exe file, it
    > will execute, and what ever will be foited upon your system.
    > This bug has been fixed, and will be in the 1.7 release. Users will be
    > offered a download, and open with default program. As always, Moz will
    > not execute exectable files.
    >
    > Lee

    The last time i downloaded an exe with IE it poped up a box asking what
    i wanted to do with it. It did NOT excute the file.

    Good to hear that the problem will be fixed with 1.7 It will be nice to
    be offered the option on what to do with files.
    Soz, Feb 7, 2004
  10. Himm

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Soz wrote:
    > In article <Np%Ub.191867$6y6.3708093@bgtnsc05-
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...
    >

    >>Lord, IE's behavior is a security nightmare! If its an exe file, it
    >>will execute, and what ever will be foited upon your system.
    >>This bug has been fixed, and will be in the 1.7 release. Users will be
    >>offered a download, and open with default program. As always, Moz will
    >>not execute exectable files.
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>

    > The last time i downloaded an exe with IE it poped up a box asking what
    > i wanted to do with it. It did NOT excute the file.
    >
    > Good to hear that the problem will be fixed with 1.7 It will be nice to
    > be offered the option on what to do with files.

    It's well documented, no argument, IE can expose a user to executable
    code either through Direct X or other means. Mozilla will not execute,
    will not run an executable file via a link, a right-click, or any other
    known method. Period.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Feb 8, 2004
  11. Himm

    Soz Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Soz wrote:
    > > In article <Np%Ub.191867$6y6.3708093@bgtnsc05-
    > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...
    > >

    > >>Lord, IE's behavior is a security nightmare! If its an exe file, it
    > >>will execute, and what ever will be foited upon your system.
    > >>This bug has been fixed, and will be in the 1.7 release. Users will be
    > >>offered a download, and open with default program. As always, Moz will
    > >>not execute exectable files.
    > >>
    > >>Lee
    > >>

    > > The last time i downloaded an exe with IE it poped up a box asking what
    > > i wanted to do with it. It did NOT excute the file.
    > >
    > > Good to hear that the problem will be fixed with 1.7 It will be nice to
    > > be offered the option on what to do with files.

    > It's well documented, no argument, IE can expose a user to executable
    > code either through Direct X or other means. Mozilla will not execute,
    > will not run an executable file via a link, a right-click, or any other
    > known method. Period.

    There no doubt Mozilla is more secure, I just wish it worked a little
    better.
    Anyone that has a liile computer savy can set IE to be just a secure as
    mozilla and still get the benefits of being able to download files.

    BTW i believe you meant ActiveX which you can get as a plugin for
    mozilla.
    Soz, Feb 8, 2004