    and then re-applied. Have got all appropriate codec packs from MS and re
    installed, all to no avail.

    What next?
    SNOman, Nov 14, 2006

  2. SNOman

    Chris Lim Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > Wondering what the simplest way to fix this is.
    >
    > Windows XP Pro sp2. All wmv file sthat I play via ANY media player
    > (windows Media classic, WMP9, WMP10, WInamp etc etc) have the video
    > distorted/corrupted. All other video file types are fine. Seems that it
    > must be a codec thing but how do I fix it? Have completely unistalled
    > all version of windows media player right back to the default install
    > and then re-applied. Have got all appropriate codec packs from MS and re
    > installed, all to no avail.
    >
    > What next?

    Have you tried VLC Player? I believe it doesn't use any external codecs
    so if it is a codec problem then it might be okay.
    Chris Lim, Nov 14, 2006

  3. SNOman

    Diogenes Guest

    SNOman wrote:
    > Wondering what the simplest way to fix this is.
    >
    > Windows XP Pro sp2. All wmv file sthat I play via ANY media player
    > (windows Media classic, WMP9, WMP10, WInamp etc etc) have the video
    > distorted/corrupted. All other video file types are fine. Seems that it
    > must be a codec thing but how do I fix it? Have completely unistalled
    > all version of windows media player right back to the default install
    > and then re-applied. Have got all appropriate codec packs from MS and re
    > installed, all to no avail.
    >
    > What next?

    Re-instal latest video card driver?

    Good luck!
    Diogenes, Nov 14, 2006
  4. SNOman

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:51:46 +1300, SNOman <spam_sux@sod_off.com>
    wrote:

    >Wondering what the simplest way to fix this is.
    >
    >Windows XP Pro sp2. All wmv file sthat I play via ANY media player
    >(windows Media classic, WMP9, WMP10, WInamp etc etc) have the video
    >distorted/corrupted. All other video file types are fine. Seems that it
    >must be a codec thing but how do I fix it? Have completely unistalled
    >all version of windows media player right back to the default install
    >and then re-applied. Have got all appropriate codec packs from MS and re
    >installed, all to no avail.
    >
    >What next?

    If it is a codec thing surely WMP will download the latest WMV codec.
    Are you sure the file isn't DRM locked?
    GraB, Nov 14, 2006
  5. SNOman

    Dave Taylor Guest

    SNOman <spam_sux@sod_off.com> wrote in news:ejb7dg$pgu$:

    > What next?

    Repair or parallel install if a play of the file on a different machine
    works fine.
    Codecs are one sure fire way to hose windows easily because they go in
    easy, come out very hard, and can conflict.
    Try Gspot to see what it wants.:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 14, 2006
  6. SNOman

    SNOman Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > SNOman wrote:
    >> Wondering what the simplest way to fix this is.
    >>
    >> Windows XP Pro sp2. All wmv file sthat I play via ANY media player
    >> (windows Media classic, WMP9, WMP10, WInamp etc etc) have the video
    >> distorted/corrupted. All other video file types are fine. Seems that it
    >> must be a codec thing but how do I fix it? Have completely unistalled
    >> all version of windows media player right back to the default install
    >> and then re-applied. Have got all appropriate codec packs from MS and re
    >> installed, all to no avail.
    >>
    >> What next?

    > Have you tried VLC Player? I believe it doesn't use any external codecs
    > so if it is a codec problem then it might be okay.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Downloaded and installed. Interesting results. Opened wmv file. VLC
    opened 3 additional windows. The wmv file was playing in each correctly
    at what appeared to be different quality settings. However the original
    player window showed the corrupted playback that I get in WMP
    SNOman, Nov 14, 2006