    video (e.g. an AVI file) in WMP 10 please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Feb 27, 2006

  2. "Terry Pinnell" wrote...
    > I've asked this in the WMP newsgroups but had no answer.
    > Anyone know whether it is possible to capture a frame
    > screenshot while playing a video (e.g. an AVI file) in
    > WMP 10 please?

    Likely none of them has ever heard of that feature, and
    neither have I. I'd bet that functionality does not exist.
    That function isn't technically within the charter of a
    "player".

    Richard Crowley, Feb 27, 2006

  3. "Richard Crowley" <> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" wrote...
    >> I've asked this in the WMP newsgroups but had no answer.
    >> Anyone know whether it is possible to capture a frame
    >> screenshot while playing a video (e.g. an AVI file) in
    >> WMP 10 please?

    >Likely none of them has ever heard of that feature, and
    >neither have I. I'd bet that functionality does not exist.
    >That function isn't technically within the charter of a
    >"player".

    The following are just four players that come to mind, and they all
    have that basic feature:

    - PowerDVD
    - IrfanView
    - Nero ShowTime
    - VLC Media Player

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Feb 27, 2006
  4. Terry Pinnell

    MikeLeeB Guest

    ..
    I just tried something real quick and it worked. Cue up your frame,
    for WMP select View, Full Screen, wait a few seconds for the player
    toolbars to retract, hit your PrtScnSysRq (Print Screen) button to the
    upper right of your keyboad, hit your Esc key, hit Start in your bottom
    toolbar, select (All) Programs, Accessories, Paint, Edit, Paste, File,
    and Save.

    MikeLeeB

    MikeLeeB, Feb 27, 2006
  5. "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    > "Richard Crowley" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Terry Pinnell" wrote...
    >>> I've asked this in the WMP newsgroups but had no answer.
    >>> Anyone know whether it is possible to capture a frame
    >>> screenshot while playing a video (e.g. an AVI file) in
    >>> WMP 10 please?

    >>Likely none of them has ever heard of that feature, and
    >>neither have I. I'd bet that functionality does not exist.
    >>That function isn't technically within the charter of a
    >>"player".

    > The following are just four players that come to mind, and they all
    > have that basic feature:
    >
    > - PowerDVD
    > - IrfanView
    > - Nero ShowTime
    > - VLC Media Player

    None of those are published by a high-profile company with
    a huge stake in DRM.

    Richard Crowley, Feb 27, 2006
  6. "MikeLeeB" <> wrote:

    >.
    >I just tried something real quick and it worked. Cue up your frame,
    >for WMP select View, Full Screen, wait a few seconds for the player
    >toolbars to retract, hit your PrtScnSysRq (Print Screen) button to the
    >upper right of your keyboad, hit your Esc key, hit Start in your bottom
    >toolbar, select (All) Programs, Accessories, Paint, Edit, Paste, File,
    >and Save.

    Thanks, that does the trick!

    I was surprised it worked. I should have tried that myself but I
    assumed it would fail just as all my previous attempts to use a
    standard capture technique had failed in the past with video. Players
    like PowerDVD and Nero ShowTime etc all produce an 'empty' result.
    Must be something special about WMP 10. I can't be sure, but I don't
    think WMP 9 could do that.

    BTW, I sometimes find that after using (Alt+Enter) to get full screen,
    the blue panels fail to disappear. Happily though, the capture doesn't
    actually need to be full screen. Also, any capture utility works too.
    And most allow capturing a specific window, so that avoids having to
    crop as is the case with Print Scrn. I used Snagit.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Feb 27, 2006
  7. Terry Pinnell

    David Z Guest

    Try disabling hardware acceleration for video in windows first.

    David Z, Feb 28, 2006
  8. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    Terry:

    If you hold down the ALT key and then press print screen, you will only
    capture the active window. At least that works on this side of the Big
    Pond ;-)

    Mike

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > "MikeLeeB" <> wrote:
    >
    > >.
    > >I just tried something real quick and it worked. Cue up your frame,
    > >for WMP select View, Full Screen, wait a few seconds for the player
    > >toolbars to retract, hit your PrtScnSysRq (Print Screen) button to the
    > >upper right of your keyboad, hit your Esc key, hit Start in your bottom
    > >toolbar, select (All) Programs, Accessories, Paint, Edit, Paste, File,
    > >and Save.

    > Thanks, that does the trick!
    >
    > I was surprised it worked. I should have tried that myself but I
    > assumed it would fail just as all my previous attempts to use a
    > standard capture technique had failed in the past with video. Players
    > like PowerDVD and Nero ShowTime etc all produce an 'empty' result.
    > Must be something special about WMP 10. I can't be sure, but I don't
    > think WMP 9 could do that.
    >
    > BTW, I sometimes find that after using (Alt+Enter) to get full screen,
    > the blue panels fail to disappear. Happily though, the capture doesn't
    > actually need to be full screen. Also, any capture utility works too.
    > And most allow capturing a specific window, so that avoids having to
    > crop as is the case with Print Scrn. I used Snagit.
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    , Mar 1, 2006
  9. wrote:

    >Terry:
    >
    >If you hold down the ALT key and then press print screen, you will only
    >capture the active window. At least that works on this side of the Big
    >Pond ;-)
    >
    >Mike
    >
    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> "MikeLeeB" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >.
    >> >I just tried something real quick and it worked. Cue up your frame,
    >> >for WMP select View, Full Screen, wait a few seconds for the player
    >> >toolbars to retract, hit your PrtScnSysRq (Print Screen) button to the
    >> >upper right of your keyboad, hit your Esc key, hit Start in your bottom
    >> >toolbar, select (All) Programs, Accessories, Paint, Edit, Paste, File,
    >> >and Save.

    >> Thanks, that does the trick!
    >>
    >> I was surprised it worked. I should have tried that myself but I
    >> assumed it would fail just as all my previous attempts to use a
    >> standard capture technique had failed in the past with video. Players
    >> like PowerDVD and Nero ShowTime etc all produce an 'empty' result.
    >> Must be something special about WMP 10. I can't be sure, but I don't
    >> think WMP 9 could do that.
    >>
    >> BTW, I sometimes find that after using (Alt+Enter) to get full screen,
    >> the blue panels fail to disappear. Happily though, the capture doesn't
    >> actually need to be full screen. Also, any capture utility works too.
    >> And most allow capturing a specific window, so that avoids having to
    >> crop as is the case with Print Scrn. I used Snagit.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Yes, Alt+Prnt Scrn works this side too, although Snagit is more
    flexible for complex windows with several sections.

    HOWEVER, today I can no longer get WMP 10 to capture any video frames
    regardless of what method is used!

    IOW, my test 2 days ago, which was the basis of my pleased but
    surprised reply to Mike, must have been a quirk. It has reverted to
    the behaviour I was previously familiar with. And that's not just WMP;
    it's universal for all 'standard' capture tools. You get a sort of
    transparent result.

    It's really bizarre that I should have got a result before. I'm
    wondering if it's perhaps connected with David Z's suggestion about
    hardware acceleration? I always have that set to max as I don't like
    the idea of limiting my PC's performance. But maybe there happened to
    be so much other CPU activity occurring at the time I tried that test
    that it had the same effect as reducing hardware acceleration? And
    that somehow allows a 'standard' capture tool to capture video?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 1, 2006
  10. Terry Pinnell

    Stan Brown Guest

    Wed, 01 Mar 2006 07:48:55 +0000 from Terry Pinnell
    <>:
    > HOWEVER, today I can no longer get WMP 10 to capture any video frames
    > regardless of what method is used!
    >
    > ... You get a sort of transparent result.
    >
    > ... I'm wondering if it's perhaps connected with David Z's
    > suggestion about hardware acceleration?

    The odds are excellent that it is.

    I do screen captures in PowerDVD, and the help file warns
    specifically about hardware acceleration as a problem for them.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Mar 1, 2006
  11. Hi Terry,

    I've tried Nero ShowTime and it has such a 'capture frame' feature. WMP
    10 is too basic to have something like that I think.

    Best Regards,
    Gary Hendricks

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Find hundreds of FREE tips on digital video.
    Subscribe to my newsletter, Desktop-Video-News:
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/newsletter
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gary Hendricks, Mar 4, 2006
  12. "Gary Hendricks" <> wrote:

    >Hi Terry,
    >
    >I've tried Nero ShowTime and it has such a 'capture frame' feature. WMP
    >10 is too basic to have something like that I think.

    Thanks Gary. Yes, see also my reply to Richard, pointing out several
    other common players that have a frame capture facility. Those I use
    are:
    - PowerDVD
    - IrfanView
    - Nero ShowTime
    - VLC Media Player

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 5, 2006
  13. Terry Pinnell

    \R&B\ Guest

    > I've asked this in the WMP newsgroups but had no answer. Anyone know
    > whether it is possible to capture a frame screenshot while playing a
    > video (e.g. an AVI file) in WMP 10 please?
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Go to TechSmith.com and buy Camtasia Studio (if you're wanting to capture
    video) or Snag-It (if you're wanting to capture still images).

    You'll have to disable Windows' hardware acceleration within any media
    player (WMP or any other) to capture the video being played through it with
    either of these software apps, although the same is true with competing apps
    as well. But disabling Windoze hardware accelerations is an easy enough
    thing to do, then just enable it again when you're through "recording."

    Randy

    \R&B\, Mar 5, 2006
  14. Terry Pinnell

    Biz Guest

    VirtualDubMod which is freeware, also has a frame capture feature....

    Biz, Mar 6, 2006
  15. "Biz" <> wrote:

    >VirtualDubMod which is freeware, also has a frame capture feature....

    Excellent program.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 6, 2006