wmi providers and cscript.exe

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Anthony LaMark, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. Hi All,

    Background:

    My company provides solutions that utilize WMI Event Providers we wrote and
    also a library of WSH scripts (written primarily in JScript but also uses
    some VBScript via WSF technology) that utilize COM objects we also wrote.
    The WMI Event Providers and the COM objects are written in C++.

    Goal:

    We want to move to 64-bit Windows.

    Questions:

    1. Does WMIPRVSE.EXE run in 64-bit mode?
    2. If yes to question 1, then can I safely assume I can port the wmi event
    providers to 64-bit?
    3. Does CSCRIPT.EXE run in 64-bit mode?
    4. If yes to question 3, then can I safely assume I can port the COM
    objects used in our scripts library to 64-bit?

    Any other thoughts regarding the above topics would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank in advance,
    Tony

    Anthony LaMark, Jan 25, 2006

  2. There are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of both of these programs on x64
    Edition.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 26, 2006

  3. Hi Charlie,

    Great and thanks for such a quick response. Can you recommend some urls
    that would give me details on how to utilize/invoke 64-bit cscript and WMI?
    For example, is there a #pragma in the WMI MOF and is there a flag I can
    pass to cscript.

    Thanks again!

    Anthony LaMark, Jan 26, 2006
  4. Not off the top of my head. Google MSDN for it. On the cscript, it's easy.
    You'll always get the 64-bit one, since it's first in your path, unless you
    explicitly invoke the full path to the 32-bit one by calling
    %windir%\SysWOW64\cscript.exe.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64