    think they need to be in avi format for the dvd player to play them as
    files. My dvd player doesn't seem to support windows wmf format.
    TIA

    John, Jun 14, 2004

  2. John

    Collector_NZ Guest

    John said the following on 14/06/2004 15:52:

    > Anyone know of a website with information and links to encoders, for
    > converting .wmf files into a format that can be played on a dvd player. I
    > think they need to be in avi format for the dvd player to play them as
    > files. My dvd player doesn't seem to support windows wmf format.
    > TIA

    Go to doom9.org and read up there

    Collector_NZ, Jun 14, 2004

  3. John

    zog Guest

    As other poster has said go to doom9.

    The short answer is that your DVD player will play .vob files and .mpg
    files. The .vob files are what are on the DVD. Converting to .avi is not
    without merit. This is because there is a truely fabulous .avi codec called
    divx. This format produces better quality than an .mpg at twice the size.
    The downside - there's always a downside, isnt there :( - is that .avi's
    wont play on your DVD player. But they do play on your PC and the resulting
    CD is indistinguishable from the DVD. So, if you have heard this 'nonsense'
    about converting DVDs to CD .... well its all true, I have done it. But
    doom9 is the place to start. I have a collection of 'backup' DVDs. Some on
    ..mpg and some on DVD. The mpg solution (you make a SVCD disc - or span two
    discs) is ok and works well. I did Pirates of the Carribean on my 2nd
    computer, PIII 667 - it took 3 CDs and 22 hours!. Then I did it on my first
    computer (Athlon 1800) with Clone DVD 2 on to DVD and it took 45 minutes.
    So --- lots of variables and options, buts its all great fun. BTW went to
    Stationery Warehouse and bought 25 (um yes that is twenty-five) DVDs on a
    spindle for $75. That will keep my hard disk spinning for a while.
    I have tried half a dozen DVD software authoring tools. For ease of use you
    cannot go past clone DVD2.

    zog, Jun 14, 2004
  4. On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:52:19 +1200, "John" <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone know of a website with information and links to encoders, for
    >converting .wmf files into a format that can be played on a dvd player. I
    >think they need to be in avi format for the dvd player to play them as
    >files. My dvd player doesn't seem to support windows wmf format.
    >TIA

    Isn't WMF Windows Metafile? Aka ClipArt pictures?

    Or do you mean WMV (Windows Media Video) ?

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jun 14, 2004
  5. John

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "zog" wrote

    > Then I did it on my first
    > computer (Athlon 1800) with Clone DVD 2 on to DVD and it took 45 minutes.

    Do you need to use any other application/program with Clone DVD (2 or 2.2 or
    2.5) to create a copy on a DVD of another DVD?

    I am struggling thru this minefield at the mo.
    There seems to be several options to any desired function.

    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Jun 14, 2004
  6. John

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "zog" <> wrote in message
    > As other poster has said go to doom9.
    >
    > The short answer is that your DVD player will play .vob files and .mpg
    > files. The .vob files are what are on the DVD. Converting to .avi is not
    > without merit. This is because there is a truely fabulous .avi codec

    called
    > divx. This format produces better quality than an .mpg at twice the size.
    > The downside - there's always a downside, isnt there :( - is that .avi's
    > wont play on your DVD player. But they do play on your PC and the

    resulting
    > CD is indistinguishable from the DVD. So, if you have heard this

    'nonsense'
    > about converting DVDs to CD .... well its all true, I have done it. But
    > doom9 is the place to start. I have a collection of 'backup' DVDs. Some

    on
    > .mpg and some on DVD. The mpg solution (you make a SVCD disc - or span

    two
    > discs) is ok and works well. I did Pirates of the Carribean on my 2nd
    > computer, PIII 667 - it took 3 CDs and 22 hours!. Then I did it on my

    first
    > computer (Athlon 1800) with Clone DVD 2 on to DVD and it took 45 minutes.

    You must be using low grade options in the settings to do it in only 45
    minutes. The few I've done average slightly longer than the film. Used to
    be just under the length of a film but another improvement in the settings
    adds slightly more time.

    Nothing matches the original DVDs, but you can get quite acceptable results
    for all that. Harvey Norman had 10 pack DVDR for $20.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 14, 2004
  7. John

    TH1 Guest

    wrote:

    >Anyone know of a website with information and links to encoders, for
    >converting .wmf files into a format that can be played on a dvd player. I
    >think they need to be in avi format for the dvd player to play them as
    >files. My dvd player doesn't seem to support windows wmf format.
    >TIA

    Take a look at:

    http://www.videohelp.com

    I presume you actually want to convert WMV file, not WMF files. If
    so, you first need to make sure you can play the files on your PC. If
    you can not, you need to install the latest Windows Media Player
    program from Microsoft. Once you have the files playing, then the
    program TMPGEnc will convert them to MPEG and your DVD burner program
    will be able to produce a DVD for you.

    TMPGEnc (free version, MPEG-1 only):
    http://www.tmpgenc.net

    TMPGEnc Plus (trial or pay version, creates MPEG-2 for best DVD
    compatibility):
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com

    TH1, Jun 14, 2004
  8. John

    zog Guest

    Sometimes you need AnyDVD. This is only if it is a protected DVD. AnyDVD
    is will remove all copy protections and all region restrictions.

    Yes it is a bit of a minefield - but no more so that learning to drive.
    Complicated to start but easy once you have done it a few times.

    zog, Jun 14, 2004
  9. John

    Richard Guest

    zog wrote:

    > Sometimes you need AnyDVD. This is only if it is a protected DVD. AnyDVD
    > is will remove all copy protections and all region restrictions.
    >
    > Yes it is a bit of a minefield - but no more so that learning to drive.
    > Complicated to start but easy once you have done it a few times.

    And unfortunatly, people still distribute really badly done DVD rips.

    I have loads where people have decided to change the framerate up to 30FPS,
    because they thought that was a good thing to do, or else not de-interlaced it
    if its a DVD sourced from video rather then film. All the fringing on anything
    moving means that the codec puts all the bits into that, and even a 2 disc rip
    done like that looks worse then VCD in most cases.

    Then theres the ones with wrong aspects etc because someone thought it was a
    good idea to scale the movie to 640x480 instead of cropping off the black areas.
    Its a nightmare finding the perfect rip...

    Richard, Jun 14, 2004
  10. "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> claimed:
    > Harvey Norman had 10 pack DVDR for $20.

    any user experience? quality?

    I ask 'cos I've had two failures in 2 weeks
    with Harvey Norman labelled cdr for Red Book audio
    No, I didn't buy 'em, the client offered them...

    J.Random Luser, Jun 14, 2004
  11. John

    C_Lyon Guest

    :
    : The short answer is that your DVD player will play .vob files and .mpg
    : files.

    MPG files play on his DVD player ? hahaha
    I don't think so, not ALL players can read *.mpg.
    Nero6 does a great job at converting different file types to DVD, VCD or
    SVCD.

    C_Lyon, Jun 15, 2004
  12. John

    C_Lyon Guest

    Ohh forgot to mention that I bought a spindle of 50 disk's, Princo DVD-R 4x,
    for $aus38 last week. Hell I feel like buying a container full and taking
    them to NZ to make a fortune, lol ;-)

    C_Lyon, Jun 15, 2004
  13. John

    zog Guest

    The base behind the SVCD format is mpeg. Have a look at an SVCD prior to
    your next post.

    zog, Jun 15, 2004
  14. John

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "J.Random Luser" <> wrote in message
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> claimed:
    > > Harvey Norman had 10 pack DVDR for $20.

    > any user experience? quality?
    >
    > I ask 'cos I've had two failures in 2 weeks
    > with Harvey Norman labelled cdr for Red Book audio
    > No, I didn't buy 'em, the client offered them...

    Wouldn't know how good they are.
    For those that want to burn DVDs it could be worth trying a pack before
    getting carried away on them. 2 dollars a disc doesn't seem bad.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 15, 2004
  15. John

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "C_Lyon" <> wrote in message
    > "zog" <> wrote in message
    > : As other poster has said go to doom9.
    > :
    > : The short answer is that your DVD player will play .vob files and .mpg
    > : files.
    >
    > MPG files play on his DVD player ? hahaha
    > I don't think so, not ALL players can read *.mpg.
    > Nero6 does a great job at converting different file types to DVD, VCD or
    > SVCD.

    Previous Nero version wasn't up to too much for for encoding from DivX
    files. Power Producer is top rate.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 15, 2004
  16. John

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "zog" <> wrote in message
    > The base behind the SVCD format is mpeg. Have a look at an SVCD prior to
    > your next post.

    Not all players play SVCD - a Sanyo model being one of them going by some
    posts. And players that aren't CDR compatible are almost completely
    stuffed.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 15, 2004
  17. John

    C_Lyon Guest

    "zog" <> wrote in message
    : The base behind the SVCD format is mpeg. Have a look at an SVCD prior to
    : your next post.
    :
    :
    : "C_Lyon" <> wrote in message
    : news:40ce3d01$0$21098$...
    : > "zog" <> wrote in message
    : > news:UDazc.2065$...
    : > : As other poster has said go to doom9.
    : > :
    : > : The short answer is that your DVD player will play .vob files and .mpg
    : > : files.
    : >
    : > MPG files play on his DVD player ? hahaha
    : > I don't think so, not ALL players can read *.mpg.
    : > Nero6 does a great job at converting different file types to DVD, VCD or
    : > SVCD.

    I'm not trying to argue Zog, just helping those here understand in what's
    being said.
    How many DVD players can play multi file format CD's / DVD's ?
    The original poster, John, mentioned that he would like to convert his *.wmf
    to DVD. I'm assuming he meant *.wmv to DVD. Your next post went on to
    mention *.avi and divx and spanning them accross CD's. Sure, that's fine to
    say all of that, that you've mentioned, but the main concern here is to do
    with DVD and how would he go about doing such a task in converting his files
    to a DVD Disk. Now what John needs to do is read up about 'DVD Authoring
    Tools'. I've tried several authoring tools, such as TMPGEnc and Ulead Movie
    Factory, but my favorite is Nero Vision Express 2.

    C_Lyon, Jun 15, 2004
  18. John

    C_Lyon Guest

    :
    : "C_Lyon" <> wrote in message
    : news:40ce3d01$0$21098$...
    : > "zog" <> wrote in message
    : > news:UDazc.2065$...
    : > : As other poster has said go to doom9.
    : > :
    : > : The short answer is that your DVD player will play .vob files and .mpg
    : > : files.
    : >
    : > MPG files play on his DVD player ? hahaha
    : > I don't think so, not ALL players can read *.mpg.
    : > Nero6 does a great job at converting different file types to DVD, VCD or
    : > SVCD.
    :
    : Previous Nero version wasn't up to too much for for encoding from DivX
    : files. Power Producer is top rate.
    :
    : E. Scrooge

    I agree, 'previous' versions of Nero were crap.
    I'm gonna go suss out Power Producer ;-)

    C_Lyon, Jun 15, 2004
  19. John

    geoffm Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:42:13 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >Previous Nero version wasn't up to too much for for encoding from DivX
    >files. Power Producer is top rate.

    Is the currrent (ver 6) Nero any good with converting Divx ->
    anything?
    I looked at Power Producer, and will have to down load the trial -
    bloody big though.
    Geoff

    geoffm, Jun 15, 2004
  20. John

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "geoffm" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:42:13 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    > >Previous Nero version wasn't up to too much for for encoding from DivX
    > >files. Power Producer is top rate.

    > Is the currrent (ver 6) Nero any good with converting Divx ->
    > anything?
    > I looked at Power Producer, and will have to down load the trial -
    > bloody big though.
    > Geoff

    Power Producer (a previous version) was completely free on PC User CD about
    6 months ago. Well worth getting and using. The video is clean and the
    audio sync doesn't get stuffed as long as you edit with with Power Producer
    (it then encodes and burns the CD).
    Don't know about Nero 6. I hardly use the previous Nero unless it's to copy
    a CD. The previous Nero would stutter DivX to VCD when playing back the VCD
    after about 15 minutes, the quality wasn't great at any time.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 15, 2004