WMDC 6.1, Office Ultimate, Vista UIltimate(64 bit), Windows Mobile

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by tahirs, Nov 17, 2007.

  1. tahirs

    tahirs Guest

    I have a Quad core system, 4gb memory running Vista Ultimate and Office
    Ultimate. A HTC S710 running Windows Mobile 6. I just loaded WMDC earlier
    today from the Microsoft web site and have major performance problems with
    it. So far it's taken 2+ hours for a full sync of my contacts....never mind
    calendar etc.
    Previous on Win XP Pro with Office Ultimate and the latest version of
    ACtiveSync a full, clean update would take around 30 minutes (on a much older
    PC).
    I must say I am very disappointed with the synchronisation between mobile
    and Office on Vista - performance sucks. Looking at Task Manager, nothing of
    any significance is running - WMDC is there grabbing around 70MB memory, but
    not much CPU time.
    Al Updates are installed. Is this the normal terrible performance wor WMDC,
    or is something broken? ActiveSync was limited, but certainly very efficient
    and performed well.

    Thanks
    Tahir
    tahirs, Nov 17, 2007

  2. tahirs

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Two questions come to my mind:
    1.- Are you using an USB 2.0 port for sync?
    2.- What items are you syncing? Maybe you have checked some unnecessary
    items beyond the usual ones (contacts, etc.).
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 17, 2007

  3. tahirs

    tahirs Guest

    RE: WMDC 6.1, Office Ultimate, Vista UIltimate(64 bit), Windows Mo

    Yes - using USB 2.0 and syncing contacts(approx 1500), tasks (zero), calendar
    (past two months), files (zero there also). Not doing email as I have a
    separate POP account that I download to Outlook on my PC. If I sync it I end
    up with mail.com POP download via GPRS and a separate Outlook download from
    the PC sync.

    Still syncing away - probably about 3 hours now......

    tahirs, Nov 17, 2007
  4. tahirs

    KevinD Guest

    Re: WMDC 6.1, Office Ultimate, Vista UIltimate(64 bit), Windows Mo

    Hello,

    We have a very similar setup. I am running:

    1. Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit.
    2. AT&T tilt phone which is an HTC Windows Mobile 6 phone.
    3. Office 2007 Business Edition.

    I found that my firewall was not properly configured for the phone to sync.
    I use Window Live One Care and had to manually open several ports for it to
    work with my phone and WMDC. It turns out not to be the same settings as
    Active Sync as the Firewall was automatically configured to deal with that.

    Now my PC will sync with the phone in just over a minute. I sync about 500
    contacts and hundreds of media files (music, TV, etc.) to the memory card in
    the device.

    Assuming you are running a software firewall I would check to make sure it
    is not the problem, if there is a knowledge base you can access for that
    product you might get some help with making changes to it's configuration.
    If you are running OneCare I can send you the manual settings needed to make
    it work.

    KevinD, Nov 18, 2007
  5. tahirs

    tahirs Guest

    Re: WMDC 6.1, Office Ultimate, Vista UIltimate(64 bit), Windows Mo

    Thanks Kevin - it did finally complete. When I came back to it this morning
    it was all synced - took about 10 hours..... Sync's since then have been
    fast i.e. with a couple of changes.
    I dread it if I ever need to delete teh Partnership and start again.

    I'm using Norton 360 for firewall, so will take a look on tehir support web
    site for any tips relating to Vista or WMDC.

    Regards
    Tahir

    tahirs, Nov 18, 2007
  6. tahirs

    Greg Guest

    Re: WMDC 6.1, Office Ultimate, Vista UIltimate(64 bit), Windows Mo

    I am currently making a backup of the 68GB of data files on Quad 5130
    6GB, Ultimate x64, and taking 12 hours.

    Earlier I made a clone of C partition in 40 minutes, which . In both
    cases, Norton Ghost 12 using a couple new 500GB WD drives.

    Seems like compression is eating up 25% cpu resources during this. And I
    still need/want to create a recovery DVD.

    I didn't like NIS 2007 but after getting tired of AVG Suite, Norton has
    done a good job on NIS 2008. I just didn't want or realize if Norton 360
    was for me (a la carte seemed the way to go) but Acronis TI 11 didn't
    work, but DataBackupPC (Prosoft) was my other choice for backups. I had
    a corrupt file and Ghost would just sit there (half an hour w/o
    movement) and not proceed and no idea why, until I noticed twice same
    file and worked after deleting. (and I've scanned the drive for errors
    and bad blocks).

    I'm sure future backups will go quickly as well. My biggest concern was,
    will I need to do this again? and if files are modified during the 12
    hours. Seems like it could cause a problem if something is added/deleted
    or modified.

    Greg, Nov 18, 2007