    or do we have to logon into the AP itself?

    Help is really appreciated. Thanks.

    Andy

    Andy Doe, Aug 18, 2009

  2. Andy Doe wrote:
    > Hi There,
    >
    > Is it possible to configure an LWAPP controlled AP directly from the
    > Wireless-LAN-Controller-Box /WLC (4402)? The AP is already registered to the
    > WLC but we need
    > to change the APs IP & GW Address. Can this be done right from the WLC Box
    > or do we have to logon into the AP itself?

    Don't have controller handy, but IIRC it should be under Configure->AP.
    It can assign a static IP address to AP.

    Though I'm not sure why would you want to do that.

    Regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Aug 18, 2009

  3. Andy Doe

    Uli Link Guest

    Andy Doe schrieb:
    > Hi There,
    >
    > Is it possible to configure an LWAPP controlled AP directly from the
    > Wireless-LAN-Controller-Box /WLC (4402)? The AP is already registered to the
    > WLC but we need
    > to change the APs IP & GW Address. Can this be done right from the WLC Box
    > or do we have to logon into the AP itself?

    Usually the AP's IP address and gateway is configured via a DHCP server
    which also assigns the management interface' address of the WLC.

    --
    ULi

    Uli Link, Aug 18, 2009
  4. Andy Doe

    Thrill5 Guest

    "Andrey Tarasov" <> wrote in message
    > Andy Doe wrote:
    >> Hi There,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to configure an LWAPP controlled AP directly from the
    >> Wireless-LAN-Controller-Box /WLC (4402)? The AP is already registered to
    >> the WLC but we need
    >> to change the APs IP & GW Address. Can this be done right from the WLC
    >> Box or do we have to logon into the AP itself?

    > Don't have controller handy, but IIRC it should be under Configure->AP. It
    > can assign a static IP address to AP.
    >
    > Though I'm not sure why would you want to do that.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Andrey.

    If you change the IP to static, and then move the AP to a different subnet
    it will no longer work. You can't configure an LWAPP AP from a console, so
    you will have to move it back to the original subnet and then change the AP
    back to DHCP on the WLC.

    The entire point of using a WLC is so you don't have to configure anything
    on the AP's. The WLC doesn't care what the AP's IP address is (it keeps
    track of it via it's MAC address) and the IP assigned to the AP has nothing
    to do with the IP's on the wireless network. If you want to ensure that the
    AP always has the same IP, configure it as a "static dhcp" on the DHCP
    server.

    Thrill5, Aug 19, 2009
  5. Andy Doe

    theapplebee

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Messages:
    67
    Location:
    USA
    In my experience, assigning IP address on each APs doesn't mean anything.
    Just make sure which WLC is primary and which is backup if you have two WLC

    - cisconet.com -

    theapplebee, Sep 8, 2009