    I was looking at the 1130 a/b/g access points. Some feedback would be
    greatly appreciated.

    David
    dnuckle, Jan 19, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    dnuckle <> wrote:
    >I was wondering if there is a general rule for how many access points
    >to use per number of users that will be on a network. I am looking at
    >an area that can easily be covered by 1 to 2 access points. My concern
    >is that 2 access points won't handle the necessary bandwidth for up to
    >150 users.

    http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0302/ppt/joel.pdf
    has an interesting case study.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/hah_apdg/dg10ic.htm
    has some interesting measurements (that do not directly answer
    your question.)
    Walter Roberson, Jan 19, 2007

  3. Depends on the size of the area you intend to cover, the cut-through
    and potential interference of the walls, objects, and even persons in
    the designated service area.
    With b/g you can co-locate up to three APs using non-overlapping
    channels for throughput aggregation. You can get even more
    non-overlapping channels if your clients can be constrained to 802.11a.
    You will want to spend some time designing your network so that even if
    you have an ideal number of users per access point, and that you have a
    good strategy for managing your traffic flow. From what I understand,
    APs are essentially shared medium like a hub, and congestion can be a
    severe problem, especially if your clients are not carefully managed
    and your limited number of APs have to fall back to b-only operation,
    etc.
    I've always used 1 AP per 40 users as a rule of thumb, but my site
    surveys rarely if ever correlated to that measure. On the other hand
    my networks have been generally over-built but I would rather spend
    little extra and never have to listen to anyone report connectivity
    problems that could not be solved at the client engineering level.

    mark

    Mark Gallagher, Jan 19, 2007
  4. www.BradReese.Com, Jan 19, 2007