WLAN novice with connection problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9yZw==?=, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. I wish to connect my desktop PC and my new notebook wirelessly such that I
    can exchange files between the two machines and access the Internet from my
    laptop through my PC which is hooked up to my ISP via a DSL connection.

    My PC (late model 3 GHz Pentium 4) runs XP Home and is equipped with a PRISM
    802.11g WLAN adapter.

    My notebook (1.73 GHz Centrino) runs XP Professional and is fitted with an
    Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG WLAN adapter.

    I have the latest drivers installed for both WLAN adapters and both adapters
    can be configured through Windows.

    My first questions is: Can I connect the two machines given the available
    hard- and software or am I already missing something here (such as a router)?

    Even though I managed to successfully run the Wireless Connection Wizard and
    create a wireless network on both machines, I can’t get them to connect or
    even find each other (“no wireless networks found in range†– even though the
    machines are sitting on top of each other).

    In fact, I can’t seem to activate the WLAN adapters (where is that “wireless
    switch†on my computer that I am supposed to switch on), yet they are both
    reported functioning properly (as “enabled†and “working properlyâ€) in the
    device manager.

    Any idea anybody what is going on here – even if it is just my ignorance?
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9yZw==?=, Jun 7, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9yZw==?=

    GTS Guest

    It would be preferable to buy a wireless router. However you should be able
    to do what you're trying. Firstly, both wireless cards need to be set to
    ad-hoc (rather than infrastructure) for the PC to PC wireless network
    connection. To share the Internet access, you need set up Internet
    Connection Sharing on the desktop.

    GTS, Jun 7, 2005