WLAN n/wk works - sort of ..

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Silvabod, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Novice at wireless networking, so rather chuffed to get one working, but,
    it's not working quite as expected.

    Cable modem "always on", Wireless router "always on", and "master" PC has
    USB ports still "live"(powered) when switched off (so USB2 WLAN card also
    always powered).

    When I boot the PC, the following happens -

    1/A few seconds from "desktop" appearance, the Wireless Connection icon
    reports 54.0 Mbps, Status connected, Signal strength Excellent.

    2/Mailwasher (startup item) then reports "session failure" and I then get a
    "Wireless Network not connected". Choosing the "repair" option SOMETIMES
    works, otherwise I have to manually "detect wireless network", which gets it
    up and running with no further user action needed.

    3/ Other "start-up" apps (for example, immediate check for/download of
    update virus definitions) which, for lack of immediate internet connection,
    fail.

    Since the network was created via the Wizard, I'm assuming that all settings
    are OK (esp as the "detect/repair" routines always succeed) but I'm sure
    that the network should always be there and working without this farrago.

    Can anyone suggest something to make the network start-up stable? When it's
    running, it's fine, no probs/glitches/cutouts, once it's working.
    Silvabod, Oct 30, 2005

  2. Silvabod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Silvabod wrote:
    > Novice at wireless networking, so rather chuffed to get one working,
    > but, it's not working quite as expected.

    Novice at asking for help too. Any reason you don't feel like stating what
    KIND (brand, model, etc.) of hardware you are working with?

    like an idiot.
    Toolman Tim, Oct 30, 2005

  3. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Sorry, thought it was a generic network setup question. (Naive of me, said I
    was a novice at networks!)

    Don't know exactly which hardware specs you want/need. - so here goes.
    PC is Targa Athlon 3400+, Gigabyte 64 bit mbd, 1GB RAM, running XPHome (32
    bit OS).
    PC just a month old, completely virus-free and system optimised
    (double-checked via www.pcpitstop.com , it passed all tests 100%, and no
    "caveats" or upgrade suggestions.

    Wireless Router has only "FCC ID MQ4WR254 802.11b/g " on the label (brand
    new).
    WLAN card is Targa (also 802.11b/g compliant, if that's the correct word).
    When running, the network reports speeds between 18 and 54Mbps (currently
    48) and "excellent" signal strength.

    Cable modem is about 8 years old, never been a problem on direct connection
    to pc LAN cards. Is currently wired into wireless modem, as per setup
    instns. It's a Terayon TJ210.

    Enough for you to offer help, or do you need more?

    PS - there's also a fine line between the fisherman and the fish ...

    PPS - If you are not familiar with Targa - they're German-made top quality
    spec pc's, using top quality components. Check out the Targa site! This is
    my second Targa - the first is still running fine, 4 years on and no pc
    breakdown.

    Silvabod, Oct 30, 2005
  4. Silvabod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    The Targa equipment should be fine - I don't see that causing any
    complications. I would be very suspicious of the off-brand router. This is
    the web site I think is associated with it:

    http://www.abocom.com.tw/product_detail.php?id=322

    Perhaps you can look through their support and see if they have published
    anything on similar issues, or even look at their downloads for firmware
    updates.

    (I've experienced most of my wireless problems with the routers, even if
    they are name brand parts, rather than with the computer or NIC.)

    T.T.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 30, 2005
  5. Silvabod

    Silvabod Guest

    Tim, yes, that's the one, Aboco WR254, per the picture and spec. (thanks for
    finding it). It is quite new product (July '05)

    Can't find any downloadable drivers or firmware revisions, only the pdf
    manual (which we have on CD, wherever that is. It's actually my daughter's
    kit, she bought the wireless router purely to facilitate "piggybacking" her
    pc onto my internet connection).
    Didn't see anything in the FAQ's that related to this Q, and both setup and
    descriptive pdf files were pretty basic - half of the setup stuiff I didn't
    understand (it's all technical jargon, beyond me, and no "help" screen) so I
    accepted the defaults.
    Result is an insecure (unprotected) unnamed network.

    As I understand it, the only danger is an outsider being able to use my ISP
    connection for free. I live in a little village, in a semi-detached house -
    I KNOW that none of my immediate neighbours have pc's (nearest one that has
    a pc is out of range, and hasn't got wireless capability anyway), so, no
    prob there.

    Both my pc's are FULLY secure and firewalled, with more-than-average
    protection, religiously swept/kept up-to-date.
    Sometime soon, I'll be investigating "how to" secure the network, but first
    I'd like the immediate (i.e., posted) problem solved - essentially, network
    stability at boot.

    Silvabod, Oct 31, 2005
  6. Silvabod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Silvabod wrote:
    > Tim, yes, that's the one, Aboco WR254, per the picture and spec.
    > (thanks for finding it). It is quite new product (July '05)
    >
    > Can't find any downloadable drivers or firmware revisions, only the
    > pdf manual (which we have on CD, wherever that is. It's actually my
    > daughter's kit, she bought the wireless router purely to facilitate
    > "piggybacking" her pc onto my internet connection).
    > Didn't see anything in the FAQ's that related to this Q, and both
    > setup and descriptive pdf files were pretty basic - half of the setup
    > stuiff I didn't understand (it's all technical jargon, beyond me, and
    > no "help" screen) so I accepted the defaults.
    > Result is an insecure (unprotected) unnamed network.
    >
    > As I understand it, the only danger is an outsider being able to use
    > my ISP connection for free. I live in a little village, in a
    > semi-detached house - I KNOW that none of my immediate neighbours
    > have pc's (nearest one that has a pc is out of range, and hasn't got
    > wireless capability anyway), so, no prob there.
    >
    > Both my pc's are FULLY secure and firewalled, with more-than-average
    > protection, religiously swept/kept up-to-date.
    > Sometime soon, I'll be investigating "how to" secure the network, but
    > first I'd like the immediate (i.e., posted) problem solved -
    > essentially, network stability at boot.
    >
    > <snip>

    Actually, there are other security issues. It's quite possible for someone
    to snatch data transmissions right out of the air - not just steal bandwidth
    to connect to your ISP. Getting ahold of transmitted packets could provide
    them with data from online shopping, online banking, etc. You need to get
    the system running encryption ASAP if anyone shops or banks online. (Yes,
    they have to be close enough to connect to your router, but drive-bys could
    happen.)

    As for the connections not working on reboot, that is a bit odd. Typically
    when I had router problems, it was connected on startup, but would quit or
    go intermittent. So I don't really have a valid suggestion except if it's
    possible, exchange it and see if a replacement works better for you.
    Toolman Tim, Oct 31, 2005