    which is currently enabled.

    From whom is the key provided?

    Is only the key or the Authentication and Encryption method provided as well?

    Why does the connect not work? Keep in mind that the hardware and general win drivers itself are ok
    because I successfully connect through the Intel WLAN tool.

    Al
    Alan Hobley, Feb 26, 2009

  2. Hi
    The LogOn of the Wireless has to be set according to the needs of the
    source.
    What ever it is set to right now probably does not match the Wireless source
    and need to be changed to match it.
    I can not tell you more since you did not provided and info about what and
    how you suppose to connect to.
    In general.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
    it is Off)
    MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
    easily Spoofed).
    -------------------
    The three above are Not considered safe.
    Safe Starts here at WPA.
    -------------------
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
    to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Setting Wireless Security - <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html>
    <http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 26, 2009

  3. Alan Hobley

    neil Guest

    Perhaps the key is not provided automatically and you need to enter your
    key. When security do you use WEP or WPA.
    Neil

    neil, Feb 26, 2009
  4. (Alan Hobley) wrote in

    > I can connect to a wireless lan accesspoint successfully by using
    > the proprietary Intel ProSet WLAN Utility.
    >
    > When I shutdown this Intel Utility and use the built-in WinXP WLAN
    > tool then I cannot connect.
    >
    > moreover I found in the WLAN setup dialog a checkbox labelled
    > "The key is provided for me automatically"
    > which is currently enabled.
    >
    > From whom is the key provided?
    >
    > Is only the key or the Authentication and Encryption method
    > provided as well?
    >
    > Why does the connect not work? Keep in mind that the hardware and
    > general win drivers itself are ok because I successfully connect
    > through the Intel WLAN tool.

    A lot of details are missing.

    In general, the Intel's WLAN software supports more encryption and
    security methods than does the Windows tool. What version of XP do
    you have? WinXP SP2 does not support WPA2 without a hotfix. SP3
    will support WPA2. What kind of encryption is configured in your
    router? Is this a home network or a business enterprise installation?
    Some enterprise level encryption requires that you authenticate to a
    central server which then enables access to the network.

    HTH,
    John
    John Wunderlich, Feb 27, 2009