WLAN dropping out on big file transfer

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Herbert Nagler, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. usually my WLAN chuggs along nicely all day on the internet and short file
    transfers are no problem with about 10 Mbps.

    However, if I transfer a bigger directory, it will drop out after about 2
    minutes "Can't copy this file, as there is no connection" (or similar).

    What can I do to have a constant transfer without the connection dropping
    out? Is it a matter of throttling the router's max transfer rate, or can I
    try changing the thresholds, and which ones, by how much ?
    I'm transferring data from the wired PC to the wireless PC via router.
    ------
    My equipment:
    2 desktops (1 wired, 1 wireless), one modem/router,
    running wireless infrastructure mode.

    Details:
    PC 1 (wired) showing 100 Mbps connection in the taskbar icon.

    Modem/router (wired&wireless, 54 Mbps) with the following settings:
    max Tx rate: auto
    Beacon interval: 100
    RTS threshold: 2346
    Frag threshold: 2346
    DTIM: 1
    preamble: short
    Antenna TX : Full

    PC 2 (wireless .11g set on WPA-PSK), Tx enabled: 48 Mbps.
    The reception strength of this wireless unit shows up around 48-50 percent
    on average (steady). Some brickwalls are in the way.

    Thank you for any help
    H.N.

    Herbert Nagler, Sep 23, 2005