    Kirk Bayne
    alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
    <http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>
    K. B., Oct 23, 2008

  2. K. B.

    whosbest54 Guest

    In article <>,
    hotmail.com@lis2lis2 says...

    >It seems to me DTS soundtracks aren't being used very often
    >on new regular DVD releases (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom
    >of the Crystal Skull for example, even with the involvement
    >of Steven Spielberg, a DTS investor), why?

    For many years I have rarely, if ever, seen a DTS track on a Hollywood
    movie DVD. Concert DVDs are another story.

    Why? The following come to mind:

    - Additional bytes used on the DVD that can be used for video, including
    features.

    - Not all DVD players will play DTS soundtracks.

    - Cost of licensing the DTS track, if necessary.

    - Lack of any acceptable, scientific A/B double blind tests to show that
    a DTS 5.1 sounds better than a DD 5.1 track for typical content. On many
    systems, a listener would be hard pressed to hear the difference where
    the mix is identical, except the DTS track is often louder.

    whosbest54

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html
    whosbest54, Oct 23, 2008

  3. K. B.

    zoltan47 Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:45:15 GMT, K. B. <hotmail.com@lis2lis2> wrote:

    >It seems to me DTS soundtracks aren't being used very often
    >on new regular DVD releases (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom
    >of the Crystal Skull for example, even with the involvement
    >of Steven Spielberg, a DTS investor), why?
    >
    >Kirk Bayne
    >alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
    ><http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>

    DTS support from Warner and Paramount has been minimal at best. The
    only Warner DTS DVDs I can recall at the moment were the Lethal Weapon
    Director's Cut DVDs, and for Paramount it was the Jack Ryan (e.g.,
    Hunt for Red October) discs. There may have been more, but as I said
    that's all I can recall right now.

    Has Sony/Columbia every released a DTS disc? I can't think of any
    right now.
    zoltan47, Oct 23, 2008
  4. K. B.

    Robo-man Guest

    "whosbest54" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > hotmail.com@lis2lis2 says...

    Plus, I don't think that 'George Lucas' has ever had a 'DTS' track on any of
    his DVD releases. You have to remember that old 'George' is behind the times
    technology wise now (see THX certified DVD movies).

    ***I now avoid DVDs that are 'THX' certified like the plague.***

    > - Lack of any acceptable, scientific A/B double blind tests to show that
    > a DTS 5.1 sounds better than a DD 5.1 track for typical content. On many
    > systems, a listener would be hard pressed to hear the difference where
    > the mix is identical, except the DTS track is often louder.

    I really have to disagree with that.

    I have an *inexpensive* surround system that runs through my stereo
    receiver, and the difference between the two is night and day with 'DTS'
    sounding a whole lot better.
    Robo-man, Oct 23, 2008
  5. K. B.

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    Robo-man wrote:
    > "whosbest54" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> hotmail.com@lis2lis2 says...

    > Plus, I don't think that 'George Lucas' has ever had a 'DTS' track on any of
    > his DVD releases. You have to remember that old 'George' is behind the times
    > technology wise now (see THX certified DVD movies).
    >
    > ***I now avoid DVDs that are 'THX' certified like the plague.***
    >
    >> - Lack of any acceptable, scientific A/B double blind tests to show that
    >> a DTS 5.1 sounds better than a DD 5.1 track for typical content. On many
    >> systems, a listener would be hard pressed to hear the difference where
    >> the mix is identical, except the DTS track is often louder.

    > I really have to disagree with that.
    >
    > I have an *inexpensive* surround system that runs through my stereo
    > receiver, and the difference between the two is night and day with 'DTS'
    > sounding a whole lot better.

    I have a decent sound system and the D-Day battle scene in the DTS
    version of Saving Private Ryan is absolutely incredible.
    BlueBuyYoo, Oct 23, 2008