  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Why don't the camera companies just sell directly now?

    RichA, May 17, 2013

  2. RichA

    Jeff Guest

    RichA <> wrote in news:4e8d57a2-5cfd-47cf-be6c-
    :

    > Why don't the camera companies just sell directly now?

    A lot of people (internationally) do not have internet access. The camera
    companies would suddenly be concerned with abiding by the laws of 200
    countries regarding taxes, warranties and such. It is simpler for them to
    just make the cameras and sell them to a distributor incorporated in each
    country and let them handle the legalities.

    Jeff, May 17, 2013

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 16, 11:43 pm, Jeff <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote in news:4e8d57a2-5cfd-47cf-be6c-
    > :
    >
    > > Why don't the camera companies just sell directly now?

    > A lot of people (internationally) do not have internet access.  The camera
    > companies would suddenly be concerned with abiding by the laws of 200
    > countries regarding taxes, warranties and such.  It is simpler for themto
    > just make the cameras and sell them to a distributor incorporated in each
    > country and let them handle the legalities.

    Well, Ebay seems to be doing that with it's international shipping
    program, at least to an extent.

    RichA, May 17, 2013
  4. RichA

    DanP Guest

    On Friday, May 17, 2013 3:36:42 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
    > Why don't the camera companies just sell directly now?

    If they did all their retailers would stop selling their cameras.
    And they would have to set up a call center to deal with customers.

    I have bought my Canon 500D in a high street shop paying a small premium. I could had got it cheaper on the net but I wanted to hold it and take some sample pictures. I could have done that and order it online from somewhere else but that would be wrong.

    People who know what they want would buy online. High street shops reach out to impulse buyers as well.

    DanP

    DanP, May 17, 2013
  5. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Friday, May 17, 2013 10:12:59 AM UTC+1, DanP wrote:
    > On Friday, May 17, 2013 3:36:42 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
    >
    > > Why don't the camera companies just sell directly now?

    > If they did all their retailers would stop selling their cameras.

    No they'd still be able to sell them.

    > And they would have to set up a call center to deal with customers.

    So.....

    > I have bought my Canon 500D in a high street shop paying a small premium. I could had got it cheaper on the net but I wanted to hold it and take some sample pictures. I could have done that and order it online from somewhere else but that would be wrong.

    I agree.

    > People who know what they want would buy online. High street shops reach out to impulse buyers as well.

    So.....

    There's a company called Apple that have Apple stores and sell to the public who they let people wander in and play with their products and you can buy those products at other outlets too, even online at amazon if you wish.
    It's said that those stores are the most profitable per square/metre of any retailer and one of the wealthest componies currently trading.
    The problem is that the camera companies along with most others are tryionmg to make quick short term profits rather than higher longer term ones.

    Whisky-dave, May 17, 2013
  6. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 16 May 2013 19:36:42 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : Why don't the camera companies just sell directly now?

    Don't they? I'm pretty sure Canon does (although I guess they rarely give
    significant discounts). But surely this isn't the first time we've considered
    this question (online vs brick and mortar). As an experienced photographer and
    long-time newsgroup contributor, don't you find it a bit embarrassing to be
    asking a troll's question?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 17, 2013
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 17, 4:55 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 May 2013 19:36:42 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > : Why don't the camera companies just sell directly now?
    >
    > Don't they? I'm pretty sure Canon does (although I guess they rarely give
    > significant discounts). But surely this isn't the first time we've considered
    > this question (online vs brick and mortar). As an experienced photographer and
    > long-time newsgroup contributor, don't you find it a bit embarrassing to be
    > asking a troll's question?
    >
    > Bob

    From 1965 to 1977, Celestron in California was the largest maker of
    good telescopes for the consumer market. They did about $60M a year
    in sales. All sales were done by them directly. By 1979, a dealer
    network was set-up and there were substantial discounts from them.
    Now, with camera and telescope stores going down the tubes in record
    numbers, the mfg is selling direct, there are no more discounts and
    most larger products are drop-shipped by them even if ordered at a
    store. Cameras are headed the same way. Camera stores are dying
    off. Trying to maintain anything but "big box" store distributors is
    probably a waste of time.

    RichA, May 17, 2013