Wista Field DX45

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Aug 30, 2013.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Blog:
    <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Wista_Field_Dx45?lang=en>

    I've just won a large format camera on Ebay. This will be my first
    foray into large format photography. I've dabbled with medium format
    [1] for a while and always wanted to try out large format. The camera
    wasn't expensive (about $600), but the photo paper is a bit more
    expensive, about $8-$15 per photo, so I'll have to be a bit more
    economical with the shots than usual.

    Then there's developing, there really is only one shop in town that
    still develops analog film, and I haven't checked with them if they
    can develop photo papers.

    The camera I got doesn't come with a lens though, so I'll have to get
    one. I just don't know which one to get. I need to do some research
    here.

    I've also ordered the book "The Camera" by the legend Ansel Adams for
    reference and information about both techniques and equipment.

    And I've also seen many use large format cameras and their bellows
    with a modern DSLR as a makeshift digital back. You put the DSLR on a
    tripod behind the Wista Field, without a lens, and you use live view
    to focus using the bellows.

    I'm looking forward to try it out!

    1: <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Bilderna_Framkallade>

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Aug 30, 2013

  2. Ï "Sandman" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > Blog:
    > <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Wista_Field_Dx45?lang=en>
    >

    > I've just won a large format camera on Ebay. This will be my first
    > foray into large format photography. I've dabbled with medium format
    > [1] for a while and always wanted to try out large format. The camera
    > wasn't expensive (about $600), but the photo paper is a bit more
    > expensive, about $8-$15 per photo, so I'll have to be a bit more
    > economical with the shots than usual.
    >
    > Then there's developing, there really is only one shop in town that
    > still develops analog film, and I haven't checked with them if they
    > can develop photo papers.
    >
    > The camera I got doesn't come with a lens though, so I'll have to get
    > one. I just don't know which one to get. I need to do some research
    > here.
    >
    > I've also ordered the book "The Camera" by the legend Ansel Adams for
    > reference and information about both techniques and equipment.
    >
    > And I've also seen many use large format cameras and their bellows
    > with a modern DSLR as a makeshift digital back. You put the DSLR on a
    > tripod behind the Wista Field, without a lens, and you use live view
    > to focus using the bellows.
    >
    > I'm looking forward to try it out!
    >

    > 1: <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Bilderna_Framkallade>

    Hey Jonas,
    good to hear you pursue your hobby/profession. I'm not that much into
    photography anymore, because I found hifi interests me more (and I have very
    little talent for photography, too). I bought yesterday a Denon DRW-695 tape
    deck in mint condition, but that's another story.
    When you say photo paper you mean sheet film? These need special pro labs to
    develop, especially the E-6 ones (slide film). What's the film size your LF
    camera is taking? The last lab that processed slide film in my city
    (Iraklion has 180,000 inhabitants)went out of business a couple of years
    ago, ditto for the shop in my 'hood that had chemicals, B/W papers, films
    etc. so everything has to come from Athens (or mailed to them to process).
    Hope you have a good time with your LF camera, I think there are even
    scanning digital backs for them. I had a Nikon FM-2 and a soviet TLR medium
    format camera, numerous Zenits and now a digital compact, more is overkill
    for me.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitris
    hordad AT otenet DOT gr

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Aug 30, 2013

  3. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <kvq0ov$c3o$>,
    "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote:

    > Hey Jonas,
    >
    > When you say photo paper you mean sheet film?

    Yes, of course, that's what it's called. I just couldn't come up with a
    better translation :)

    > These need special pro labs to
    > develop, especially the E-6 ones (slide film). What's the film size your LF
    > camera is taking?

    It's a 4x5 camera (hence the name), but I'll wait until it arrives until
    I order any film, to make sure everything necessary is invluded.

    > The last lab that processed slide film in my city
    > (Iraklion has 180,000 inhabitants)went out of business a couple of years
    > ago, ditto for the shop in my 'hood that had chemicals, B/W papers, films
    > etc. so everything has to come from Athens (or mailed to them to process).

    Yeah, I know there are some mailing services here in Sweden as well.

    > Hope you have a good time with your LF camera, I think there are even
    > scanning digital backs for them

    Yeah, there are. But they are crazy expensive. If you think sheet film
    is expensive, then a digital scanning back is going to hurt. Paying $600
    for the camer and then $18,000 for the scanning back? Nah :)

    Plus, scanning backs are a lot slower than sheet paper, and is thus best
    used for landscape or things like museum archival. The Super8K does 384
    megapixels in between 100 and 2,000 seconds, depending on a number of
    parameters. The smallest (4000E, 56 megapixel) captures a full size
    image in as quick as 22 seconds :)

    Depending on the parameters, sheet photography can be slow as well of
    course, but not 2,000 seconds slow :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Aug 30, 2013
  4. Sandman

    charles Guest

    On 30 Aug 2013 05:19:00 GMT, Sandman <> wrote:

    >Blog:
    ><http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Wista_Field_Dx45?lang=en>
    >

    >I've just won a large format camera on Ebay. This will be my first
    >foray into large format photography. I've dabbled with medium format
    >[1] for a while and always wanted to try out large format. The camera
    >wasn't expensive (about $600), but the photo paper is a bit more
    >expensive, about $8-$15 per photo, so I'll have to be a bit more
    >economical with the shots than usual.
    >
    >Then there's developing, there really is only one shop in town that
    >still develops analog film, and I haven't checked with them if they
    >can develop photo papers.
    >
    >The camera I got doesn't come with a lens though, so I'll have to get
    >one. I just don't know which one to get. I need to do some research
    >here.
    >
    >I've also ordered the book "The Camera" by the legend Ansel Adams for
    >reference and information about both techniques and equipment.
    >
    >And I've also seen many use large format cameras and their bellows
    >with a modern DSLR as a makeshift digital back. You put the DSLR on a
    >tripod behind the Wista Field, without a lens, and you use live view
    >to focus using the bellows.
    >
    >I'm looking forward to try it out!
    >

    >1: <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Bilderna_Framkallade>

    Does it come with film holders? If not, you'll need some of them. And
    a dark place to load them . Film used to come in a box of 10 sheets,
    so five film holders would be a good number. Is Wisda common there?
    It used to be rare in the US, when I ordered a lens mounted I had to
    tell them some other camera lens board, and I can't remember what it
    was. Years work wonders on memory.

    charles, Aug 30, 2013
  5. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    charles <> wrote:

    > ><http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Wista_Field_Dx45?lang=en>

    > Does it come with film holders? If not, you'll need some of them.

    I couldn't say. Mostly because I'm not knowledgable about what all the
    parts of these cameras are called and look like. The images show a
    glass-like plate on the back. Looks like frosted glass so I'm assuming
    this is the equivalent of a viewfinder, and the film goes in front of
    this when you're ready to to take the picture.

    As you can tell, I am a total newbie when it comes to large format, but
    I'm eager to learn!

    > And a dark place to load them . Film used to come in a box of 10
    > sheets, so five film holders would be a good number.

    Yes, sheet film comes in 10-pack here as well. I'm looking at the Kodak
    Portra since I've been very satisfied with it when it comes to 120-film.

    > Is Wisda common there? It used to be rare in the US, when I ordered a
    > lens mounted I had to tell them some other camera lens board, and I
    > can't remember what it was. Years work wonders on memory.

    I couldn't say. I've seen some on sale here from time to time. This one
    is from Japan though.

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Aug 30, 2013
  6. Sandman

    charles Guest

    On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 20:06:53 +0200, Sandman <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > charles <> wrote:
    >
    >> ><http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Wista_Field_Dx45?lang=en>

    >> Does it come with film holders? If not, you'll need some of them.

    >I couldn't say. Mostly because I'm not knowledgable about what all the
    >parts of these cameras are called and look like. The images show a
    >glass-like plate on the back. Looks like frosted glass so I'm assuming
    >this is the equivalent of a viewfinder, and the film goes in front of
    >this when you're ready to to take the picture.
    >
    >As you can tell, I am a total newbie when it comes to large format, but
    >I'm eager to learn!
    >
    >> And a dark place to load them . Film used to come in a box of 10
    >> sheets, so five film holders would be a good number.

    >Yes, sheet film comes in 10-pack here as well. I'm looking at the Kodak
    >Portra since I've been very satisfied with it when it comes to 120-film.
    >
    >> Is Wisda common there? It used to be rare in the US, when I ordered a
    >> lens mounted I had to tell them some other camera lens board, and I
    >> can't remember what it was. Years work wonders on memory.

    >I couldn't say. I've seen some on sale here from time to time. This one
    >is from Japan though.

    I thought of a way to refresh my memory, I got out the camera and
    looked. One of my lensboards is labled Linhof, so that must be the
    other kind that works.

    charles, Aug 30, 2013
  7. Sandman

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <kvq0ov$c3o$>, says...

    > Ï "Sandman" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > > Blog:
    > > <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Wista_Field_Dx45?lang=en>
    > >

    > > I've just won a large format camera on Ebay. This will be my first
    > > foray into large format photography. I've dabbled with medium format
    > > [1] for a while and always wanted to try out large format. The camera
    > > wasn't expensive (about $600), but the photo paper is a bit more
    > > expensive, about $8-$15 per photo, so I'll have to be a bit more
    > > economical with the shots than usual.
    > >
    > > Then there's developing, there really is only one shop in town that
    > > still develops analog film, and I haven't checked with them if they
    > > can develop photo papers.
    > >
    > > The camera I got doesn't come with a lens though, so I'll have to get
    > > one. I just don't know which one to get. I need to do some research
    > > here.
    > >
    > > I've also ordered the book "The Camera" by the legend Ansel Adams for
    > > reference and information about both techniques and equipment.
    > >
    > > And I've also seen many use large format cameras and their bellows
    > > with a modern DSLR as a makeshift digital back. You put the DSLR on a
    > > tripod behind the Wista Field, without a lens, and you use live view
    > > to focus using the bellows.
    > >
    > > I'm looking forward to try it out!
    > >

    > > 1: <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Bilderna_Framkallade>
    > >

    > Hey Jonas,
    > good to hear you pursue your hobby/profession. I'm not that much into
    > photography anymore, because I found hifi interests me more (and I have very
    > little talent for photography, too). I bought yesterday a Denon DRW-695 tape
    > deck in mint condition, but that's another story.
    > When you say photo paper you mean sheet film? These need special pro labs to
    > develop, especially the E-6 ones (slide film).

    E-6 need a pro lab?!?!?!?!?!?

    If you're paying somebody to do it, yes, but my mother could do E-6.
    Kodak doesn't seem to be selling the single-use kit anymore--there's a
    company called "Arista" that has one for $22.95 that people seem to be
    using without any difficulty.

    J. Clarke, Aug 30, 2013
  8. Sandman

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > In article <kvq0ov$c3o$>, says...
    > >
    > > Ï "Sandman" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > > > Blog:
    > > > <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Wista_Field_Dx45?lang=en>
    > > >

    > > > I've just won a large format camera on Ebay. This will be my first
    > > > foray into large format photography. I've dabbled with medium format
    > > > [1] for a while and always wanted to try out large format. The camera
    > > > wasn't expensive (about $600), but the photo paper is a bit more
    > > > expensive, about $8-$15 per photo, so I'll have to be a bit more
    > > > economical with the shots than usual.
    > > >
    > > > Then there's developing, there really is only one shop in town that
    > > > still develops analog film, and I haven't checked with them if they
    > > > can develop photo papers.
    > > >
    > > > The camera I got doesn't come with a lens though, so I'll have to get
    > > > one. I just don't know which one to get. I need to do some research
    > > > here.
    > > >
    > > > I've also ordered the book "The Camera" by the legend Ansel Adams for
    > > > reference and information about both techniques and equipment.
    > > >
    > > > And I've also seen many use large format cameras and their bellows
    > > > with a modern DSLR as a makeshift digital back. You put the DSLR on a
    > > > tripod behind the Wista Field, without a lens, and you use live view
    > > > to focus using the bellows.
    > > >
    > > > I'm looking forward to try it out!
    > > >

    > > > 1: <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Bilderna_Framkallade>
    > > >

    > > Hey Jonas,
    > > good to hear you pursue your hobby/profession. I'm not that much into
    > > photography anymore, because I found hifi interests me more (and I have very
    > > little talent for photography, too). I bought yesterday a Denon DRW-695 tape
    > > deck in mint condition, but that's another story.
    > > When you say photo paper you mean sheet film? These need special pro labs to
    > > develop, especially the E-6 ones (slide film).

    > E-6 need a pro lab?!?!?!?!?!?
    >
    > If you're paying somebody to do it, yes, but my mother could do E-6.
    > Kodak doesn't seem to be selling the single-use kit anymore--there's a
    > company called "Arista" that has one for $22.95 that people seem to be
    > using without any difficulty.

    I just realized that that could be interpreted as a facetious comment.
    I'm serious about my mother--she went out to the Pacific after WWII to
    be with my Dad, and there wasn't any way to get film processed in some
    of the places they lived--if there had been before the war there wasn't
    after--so she learned E-6 in order to process what my Dad shot. Note
    that neither of them was a professional photographer--he was a Naval
    officer and she was a secretary.

    J. Clarke, Aug 30, 2013
  9. Sandman

    charles Guest

    On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:21:53 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 20:06:53 +0200, Sandman <> wrote:

    >>> Does it come with film holders? If not, you'll need some of them.

    >>I couldn't say. Mostly because I'm not knowledgable about what all the
    >>parts of these cameras are called and look like. The images show a
    >>glass-like plate on the back. Looks like frosted glass so I'm assuming
    >>this is the equivalent of a viewfinder, and the film goes in front of
    >>this when you're ready to to take the picture.

    >The ground glass comes out and the film/plate goes in.

    Not on mine, the ground glass is pushed back when the film holder is
    inserted.

    charles, Aug 31, 2013
  10. Sandman

    charles Guest

    On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 15:26:18 +1200, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 13:54:39 +1200, Eric Stevens
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 17:40:12 -0700, charles <> wrote:

    >>>Not on mine, the ground glass is pushed back when the film holder is
    >>>inserted.

    >>I realised I had made an error almost as soon as I had posted it.
    >>
    >>I should have said 'the ground glass comes out of position and the
    >>film/plate goes in'.

    >Further clarification:
    >
    >On some, the ground glass is fitted in the same way as a film/plate
    >holder. In these cases the ground glass has to be completely removed
    >and and then the film/plate holder is fitted in its place. On othrs,
    >the ground glass is held against the back of the camera by a spring
    >mechanism and, when it is to be fitted, the film/plate holder can be
    >slid between the camera body and the ground glass.

    The spring loaded glass is the way mine worked, There was also a
    Polaroid film thing that could be slid in there, stretched the springs
    a lot. It was the closest I ever got to a Polaroid picture I thought
    was worth the trouble. That thing must still be around the house
    somewhere, I don't think I ever got rid of it.

    Robert Coe, Aug 31, 2013
  12. Sandman

    charles Guest

    On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 23:41:29 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 08:06:20 -0700, charles <> wrote:
    >: On 30 Aug 2013 05:19:00 GMT, Sandman <> wrote:
    >:
    >: >Blog:
    >: ><http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Wista_Field_Dx45?lang=en>
    >: >
    >: >
    >: >I've just won a large format camera on Ebay. This will be my first
    >: >foray into large format photography. I've dabbled with medium format
    >: >[1] for a while and always wanted to try out large format. The camera
    >: >wasn't expensive (about $600), but the photo paper is a bit more
    >: >expensive, about $8-$15 per photo, so I'll have to be a bit more
    >: >economical with the shots than usual.
    >: >
    >: >Then there's developing, there really is only one shop in town that
    >: >still develops analog film, and I haven't checked with them if they
    >: >can develop photo papers.
    >: >
    >: >The camera I got doesn't come with a lens though, so I'll have to get
    >: >one. I just don't know which one to get. I need to do some research
    >: >here.
    >: >
    >: >I've also ordered the book "The Camera" by the legend Ansel Adams for
    >: >reference and information about both techniques and equipment.
    >: >
    >: >And I've also seen many use large format cameras and their bellows
    >: >with a modern DSLR as a makeshift digital back. You put the DSLR on a
    >: >tripod behind the Wista Field, without a lens, and you use live view
    >: >to focus using the bellows.
    >: >
    >: >I'm looking forward to try it out!
    >: >
    >: >
    >: >
    >: >1: <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Bilderna_Framkallade>
    >: >
    >: >
    >: Does it come with film holders? If not, you'll need some of them. And
    >: a dark place to load them . Film used to come in a box of 10 sheets,
    >: so five film holders would be a good number. Is Wisda common there?
    >: It used to be rare in the US, when I ordered a lens mounted I had to
    >: tell them some other camera lens board, and I can't remember what it
    >: was. Years work wonders on memory.
    >
    >Linhof?
    >
    >Bob

    Yes, that's correct.

    charles, Aug 31, 2013
  13. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    charles <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 20:06:53 +0200, Sandman <> wrote:

    > >> Does it come with film holders? If not, you'll need some of them.

    > >I couldn't say. Mostly because I'm not knowledgable about what all the
    > >parts of these cameras are called and look like. The images show a
    > >glass-like plate on the back. Looks like frosted glass so I'm assuming
    > >this is the equivalent of a viewfinder, and the film goes in front of
    > >this when you're ready to to take the picture.
    > >
    > >As you can tell, I am a total newbie when it comes to large format, but
    > >I'm eager to learn!
    > >
    > >> And a dark place to load them . Film used to come in a box of 10
    > >> sheets, so five film holders would be a good number.

    > >Yes, sheet film comes in 10-pack here as well. I'm looking at the Kodak
    > >Portra since I've been very satisfied with it when it comes to 120-film.
    > >
    > >> Is Wisda common there? It used to be rare in the US, when I ordered a
    > >> lens mounted I had to tell them some other camera lens board, and I
    > >> can't remember what it was. Years work wonders on memory.

    > >I couldn't say. I've seen some on sale here from time to time. This one
    > >is from Japan though.

    > I thought of a way to refresh my memory, I got out the camera and
    > looked. One of my lensboards is labled Linhof, so that must be the
    > other kind that works.

    Ah, good to know, thanks!

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Aug 31, 2013
  14. ? "J. Clarke" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > In article <kvq0ov$c3o$>, says...
    >>
    >> Ï "Sandman" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    >> > Blog:
    >> > <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Wista_Field_Dx45?lang=en>
    >> >

    >> > I've just won a large format camera on Ebay. This will be my first
    >> > foray into large format photography. I've dabbled with medium format
    >> > [1] for a while and always wanted to try out large format. The camera
    >> > wasn't expensive (about $600), but the photo paper is a bit more
    >> > expensive, about $8-$15 per photo, so I'll have to be a bit more
    >> > economical with the shots than usual.
    >> >
    >> > Then there's developing, there really is only one shop in town that
    >> > still develops analog film, and I haven't checked with them if they
    >> > can develop photo papers.
    >> >
    >> > The camera I got doesn't come with a lens though, so I'll have to get
    >> > one. I just don't know which one to get. I need to do some research
    >> > here.
    >> >
    >> > I've also ordered the book "The Camera" by the legend Ansel Adams for
    >> > reference and information about both techniques and equipment.
    >> >
    >> > And I've also seen many use large format cameras and their bellows
    >> > with a modern DSLR as a makeshift digital back. You put the DSLR on a
    >> > tripod behind the Wista Field, without a lens, and you use live view
    >> > to focus using the bellows.
    >> >
    >> > I'm looking forward to try it out!
    >> >

    >> > 1: <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Bilderna_Framkallade>
    >> >

    >> Hey Jonas,
    >> good to hear you pursue your hobby/profession. I'm not that much into
    >> photography anymore, because I found hifi interests me more (and I have
    >> very
    >> little talent for photography, too). I bought yesterday a Denon DRW-695
    >> tape
    >> deck in mint condition, but that's another story.
    >> When you say photo paper you mean sheet film? These need special pro labs
    >> develop, especially the E-6 ones (slide film).

    > E-6 need a pro lab?!?!?!?!?!?
    >
    > If you're paying somebody to do it, yes, but my mother could do E-6.
    > Kodak doesn't seem to be selling the single-use kit anymore--there's a
    > company called "Arista" that has one for $22.95 that people seem to be
    > using without any difficulty.

    I did also E-6, RA-4 and Ilfochrome in my film days, I also bought bulk
    film. Kodak used to call it Hobby-Pak (no, that's not a typo, it was spelled
    with a k)which I bought from the shop in my'hood, in my film days. You need
    a digital thermometer, tank and a constant temp bath, goes without saying.
    Yeah, that's correct, because normal C-41 (run of the mill) lab processors
    selotape a plastic leader to the leader of the film, and the machine pulls
    the plastic leader and the film follows. This can't be done with sheet film,
    and the E-6 machine that the lab here used to have had a changing bag so he
    could load any film he wanted. (including 120 and 220).

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitris
    hordad AT otenet DOT gr

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Aug 31, 2013
  15. ? "J. Clarke" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> In article <kvq0ov$c3o$>, says...
    >> >
    >> > Ï "Sandman" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    >> > Hey Jonas,
    >> > good to hear you pursue your hobby/profession. I'm not that much into
    >> > photography anymore, because I found hifi interests me more (and I have
    >> > very
    >> > little talent for photography, too). I bought yesterday a Denon DRW-695
    >> > tape
    >> > deck in mint condition, but that's another story.
    >> > When you say photo paper you mean sheet film? These need special pro
    >> > labs to
    >> > develop, especially the E-6 ones (slide film).

    >> E-6 need a pro lab?!?!?!?!?!?
    >>
    >> If you're paying somebody to do it, yes, but my mother could do E-6.
    >> Kodak doesn't seem to be selling the single-use kit anymore--there's a
    >> company called "Arista" that has one for $22.95 that people seem to be
    >> using without any difficulty.

    > I just realized that that could be interpreted as a facetious comment.
    > I'm serious about my mother--she went out to the Pacific after WWII to
    > be with my Dad, and there wasn't any way to get film processed in some
    > of the places they lived--if there had been before the war there wasn't
    > after--so she learned E-6 in order to process what my Dad shot. Note
    > that neither of them was a professional photographer--he was a Naval
    > officer and she was a secretary.

    Ditto for me, when I was in Kozani all slide films had either to be sent to
    Athens=or you had to take the bus to Thessaloniki to have it processed
    there. But my friend who had a wholesale photo shop brought he E-6 chemicals
    for me so I put exposed films in the freezer and when I gathered enough for
    a run I processed them. That was in the mid '90s, in the height of the film
    days. I also did B&W slides (!) with a special Kodak kit.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitris
    hordad AT otenet DOT gr

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Aug 31, 2013