Wirless internet on laptop , Accesspoints

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daniel, May 16, 2006.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Hi,

    I did some research on wireless networking but I still have two
    questions about AccessPoints

    Im fairly familiar with networking but never did anything with
    wireless, I need to make the network wireless at two of my friends.

    Situation 1:

    There is already an existing network there with modem -> router -> 3
    computers. (Wired) If im correct I can just buy a AccessPoint or
    wireless router for this (not sure what's best.) and plug it into my
    existing router. He wants to be able to have internet on his laptop
    anywhere in the house. My first Router is on second floor.

    Situation 2:

    At this house isn't an internet connection yet , they just moved here
    etc. So should I buy modem -> Accesspoint -> Laptop or something like
    Wireless modem or so?

    Any suggestions?

    TIA

    Daniel, May 16, 2006

  2. Daniel

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I did some research on wireless networking but I still have two
    > questions about AccessPoints
    >
    > Im fairly familiar with networking but never did anything with
    > wireless, I need to make the network wireless at two of my friends.
    >
    > Situation 1:
    >
    > There is already an existing network there with modem -> router -> 3
    > computers. (Wired) If im correct I can just buy a AccessPoint or
    > wireless router for this (not sure what's best.) and plug it into my
    > existing router. He wants to be able to have internet on his laptop
    > anywhere in the house. My first Router is on second floor.

    What you want is WAP (Wireless Access Point) and plug it into a LAN port
    on the router. WAP is a bridging device that allows the wireless
    computers to share the existing network provided by the wire router. It
    bridges the two networks wire and wireless together and computers wired
    or wireless can share the WAN/Internet and LAN to share resources.

    > Situation 2:
    >
    > At this house isn't an internet connection yet , they just moved here
    > etc. So should I buy modem -> Accesspoint -> Laptop or something like
    > Wireless modem or so?

    If there is already a network that's using a router through a wire
    connection to a modem, then all that's needed is the WAP and a laptop
    with a wireless NIC in it.

    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wireless/a/aa112203_2.htm

    Hopefully, the existing router has a syslog where you can use something
    like Wallwatcher or Kwiw Syslog Daemon (both free) to watch traffic to
    from the router as someone can join the network using DHCP or static IP
    on the wireless side and use the network.

    In addition, you should have the O/S on the machines properly secured or
    harden to attack and using a personal FW only allowing traffic between
    your wire and wireless machines possibly using static IP(s) on the
    router, as someone can join the network on the wireless and be all over
    the top of the computers wired or wireless.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    You should get a (G) version WAP that's using WPA.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 16, 2006

  3. Daniel

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-16, Daniel <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I did some research on wireless networking but I still have two
    > questions about AccessPoints
    >
    > Im fairly familiar with networking but never did anything with
    > wireless, I need to make the network wireless at two of my friends.
    >
    > Situation 1:
    >
    > There is already an existing network there with modem -> router -> 3
    > computers. (Wired) If im correct I can just buy a AccessPoint or
    > wireless router for this (not sure what's best.) and plug it into my
    > existing router. He wants to be able to have internet on his laptop
    > anywhere in the house. My first Router is on second floor.

    A 'wireless access point' could certainly be added to the existing router.

    > Situation 2:
    >
    > At this house isn't an internet connection yet , they just moved here
    > etc. So should I buy modem -> Accesspoint -> Laptop or something like
    > Wireless modem or so?

    I would recommend getting a single 'box' that combines 'modem', firewall,
    and wireless router. It should have a wired ethernet connection as well,
    for making the initial wireless configuration and for any machines that do
    not need a wireless connection.

    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA

    It may be wise to upgrade Situation 1 to using a combined
    modem/firewall/router as well. The security implications of having a
    wireless network are easiest to deal with that way.

    Wireless routers and wireless access points have a limited range, and can
    easily be blocked by brick or stone walls or a concrete floor.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 16, 2006
  4. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Thanks for the advice and links both :).

    > Wireless routers and wireless access points have a limited range, and can
    > easily be blocked by brick or stone walls or a concrete floor.

    But it should be possible right? He just wants to be able to use
    internet on his laptop on first floor aswell and I can't move the first
    router with wired cables.

    Daniel, May 17, 2006
  5. Daniel

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-17, Daniel <> wrote:
    > Thanks for the advice and links both :).
    >
    >> Wireless routers and wireless access points have a limited range, and can
    >> easily be blocked by brick or stone walls or a concrete floor.

    > But it should be possible right? He just wants to be able to use
    > internet on his laptop on first floor aswell and I can't move the first
    > router with wired cables.

    Depends on the size and structure of the building, and on where you place
    the wireless 'base station' and on where you want to use the laptop.

    An alternative to 'wireless' is to use one of the systems that carries
    network signals over the mains electricity cables; you plug a 'box' into a
    power socket near the router, and another close to wherever you want
    access. This recent thread in another newsgroup may be of use
    <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.linux/browse_thread/thread/d8808e0446bd
    8ee1/4e9741440cd6768f?lnk=st&q=%22alternative+to+wireless%22&rnum=1&hl=en#4
    e9741440cd6768f> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?G3CB63F1D>.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 17, 2006