Wirless internet on laptop , Accesspoints

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Daniel, May 16, 2006.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Hi,

    I did some research on wireless networking but I still have two
    questions about AccessPoints

    Im fairly familiar with networking but never did anything with
    wireless, I need to make the network wireless at two of my friends.

    Situation 1:

    There is already an existing network there with modem -> router -> 3
    computers. (Wired) If im correct I can just buy a AccessPoint or
    wireless router for this (not sure what's best.) and plug it into my
    existing router. He wants to be able to have internet on his laptop
    anywhere in the house. My first Router is on second floor.

    Situation 2:

    At this house isn't an internet connection yet , they just moved here
    etc. So should I buy modem -> Accesspoint -> Laptop or something like
    Wireless modem or so?

    Any suggestions?

    TIA

    Daniel, May 16, 2006

  2. Daniel

    Panda Guest

    Hi daniel,

    Situation 1:

    It's better to buy an Access Point with built-in Router than buying an
    AP alone ( no big difference in prices).

    Remove the existing router and install the new AP with router instead,
    I prefer to go with MIMO Wireless to have wider coverage, more
    bandwidth and minimum dead spots , and always try to put your
    AP+Router in a central and open area in the house.

    www.networkingland.com/mimomain.htm

    Situation 2:

    As in first case I prefer to use one unit for all, you can find a three
    in one unit ( Modem, Router and AP), but check with your broadband
    service provider if they deliver their line with any modems or just the
    line alone.

    www.networkingland.com/wifimain.htm

    Naim

    Panda, May 16, 2006

  3. Daniel

    Malke Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    Comments inline:

    > Situation 1:
    >
    > There is already an existing network there with modem -> router -> 3
    > computers. (Wired) If im correct I can just buy a AccessPoint or
    > wireless router for this (not sure what's best.) and plug it into my
    > existing router. He wants to be able to have internet on his laptop
    > anywhere in the house. My first Router is on second floor.

    The main differences between a router and an access point is 1) the
    router will have some amount of ethernet ports for wired computers
    along with the wireless function and the access point doesn't; 2) the
    router acts as a DHCP server and passes out private IP addresses to all
    the computers on the lan and the access point doesn't.

    In Situation 1, you want to just add the WAP. It will get plugged into
    one of the router's ethernet ports. A wireless router can act as a WAP
    if you turn off the DHCP function - the router mftr.'s website will
    have instructions. Obviously, it is less work to just use a WAP but
    sometimes wireless routers are cheaper than WAPs.

    > Situation 2:
    >
    > At this house isn't an internet connection yet , they just moved here
    > etc. So should I buy modem -> Accesspoint -> Laptop or something like
    > Wireless modem or so?

    In Situation 2, just buy a wireless router. Obviously, they will need a
    cable or dsl Internet connection first. The cable company will come and
    install the service and provide the cable modem. The dsl company will
    send them a kit with a dsl modem and cd (at least they do it that way
    here in California, USA). You need the cable or dsl set up before you
    add the router.

    Here are some links to help you:

    Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2 -

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, May 16, 2006
  4. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Thanks for the answers and links both, it doesn't make much difference
    then so if I can get a wireless router for about the same money I will
    just get that.

    I heard it could be a problem though because the first Router is on the
    second floor and he wants to be able to use the laptop on the first.

    Daniel, May 17, 2006
  5. Daniel

    Malke Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Thanks for the answers and links both, it doesn't make much difference
    > then so if I can get a wireless router for about the same money I will
    > just get that.
    >
    > I heard it could be a problem though because the first Router is on
    > the second floor and he wants to be able to use the laptop on the
    > first.

    Whether your client can get connectivity upstairs really depends on the
    construction of the house and interference from other wireless devices
    (cordless phones, microwaves, etc.). I'll give you a link for this
    subject, but just to give you an idea:

    1. I use a Linksys WAP connected to an 8-port Linksys router (not
    wireless). My house is 2500 sq. ft. laid out all on one floor - what is
    called a "California Ranch" built in 1972. The router/WAP is at one end
    of the house and I have no problem getting perfect wireless
    connectivity on my laptop at the other end of the house.

    2. I have a client who has a older 3-story home (certainly larger than
    mine) built probably in the 1920's. She was not able to get
    connectivity on the third floor using a regular Linksys wireless
    router, which is on the first floor. I suggested she replace the router
    with a Pre-N (also known as MIMO) wireless router and she tells me that
    has worked perfectly.

    3. I have a client who has an 11,000 sq. ft. house with lots of
    interference and heavy-duty construction. Regular routers only give her
    connectivity over a few rooms. I haven't tried a Pre-N since she wanted
    to live with what she had, but probably she would need a more elaborate
    setup to cover the entire house anyway.

    For a tech, the best solution is to have several different routers and
    WAPs on the shelf so you can bring them on-site. If one device doesn't
    work, you can quickly change it out for a different one.

    Malke

    Malke, May 17, 2006
  6. Daniel

    Pegleg Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 07:09:40 -0700, Malke <>
    wrote:

    >1. I use a Linksys WAP connected to an 8-port Linksys router (not
    >wireless). My house is 2500 sq. ft. laid out all on one floor - what is
    >called a "California Ranch" built in 1972. The router/WAP is at one end
    >of the house and I have no problem getting perfect wireless
    >connectivity on my laptop at the other end of the house.

    This sounds about like my house...(Ranch, 2000s.f. & 1974) I use a
    LinkSys BEFW11S4 (802.11b) connected to Comcast BroadBand. My office is
    at one end of the house. As soon as I go one hall way away into our
    family room (20 feet) signal strength goes down to 60%. Going out on
    our rear deck (thru one exterior wall, 20feet) or front patio (thru two
    interior & one exterior walls, 40 feet) my signal drops to 30% and
    almost nil respectfully.

    My router sits on a high shelf near the ceiling.

    Have a NetGear WGR614802.11g sitting here in a box which I am going to
    setup shortly. My primary hope is better signal strength to the patio &
    deck.

    I am really confused by contradicting info as to
    placement...high/against a wall/against a window/etc.

    Pegleg
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Support Our Troops,
    Question The Policy!

    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
    freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Sir Winston Churchill

    Pegleg, May 17, 2006