    Thanks.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 30, 2009

  2. On Sat, 30 May 2009 12:51:11 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Soooo.. How do I wire this to a molex so I can use it to power an external
    >drive?
    >
    >http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1235341166.jpg
    >
    >Is it adequate?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Startup power is more than that supply is rated for. Example: My old
    IDE ST3160023A requires 2.8 A on 12 V at startup.
    Stephen Worthington, May 30, 2009

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 May 2009 12:51:11 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Soooo.. How do I wire this to a molex so I can use it to power an
    >> external drive?
    >>
    >> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1235341166.jpg
    >>
    >> Is it adequate?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Startup power is more than that supply is rated for. Example: My old
    > IDE ST3160023A requires 2.8 A on 12 V at startup.

    Hmmm, yeah, you have a point. I have a powersupply that came with a
    (Chinese) USB - IDE adapter and it's *rated* as 2A on each voltage. It's 1/3
    the size/weight of the ZyXEL unit and I was hoping that, with ZyXEL having
    the repuation that they do, it would have 'headroom' enough. I don't really
    want to gamble a HDD / data on it though. Would it output more power on NZ
    mains as the ZyXEL unit is multi-voltage (100-240VAC 50/60Hz)? LOL, maybe
    not.

    Perhaps it might be useful for externally utilising a DVD drive? (I kept the
    damn PSU for years with the intent of one day finding a use for it!) The PSU
    is impressively large and heavy for it's rating, is vented top and bottom
    and has a switch and LED (solid for normal, flashing for no power draw).
    Seems a shame to wase it.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 30, 2009
  4. ~misfit~

    PeeCee Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Soooo.. How do I wire this to a molex so I can use it to power an external
    > drive?
    >
    > http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1235341166.jpg
    >
    > Is it adequate?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > "Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
    > he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo.

    Shaun

    Molex connections here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector

    Yellow = 12v positive
    Black = 0V
    Red = 5V positive.

    You should be able to ignore the -12V.

    I would think the current sufficient for modern drives.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, May 30, 2009
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Soooo.. How do I wire this to a molex so I can use it to power an
    >> external drive?
    >>
    >> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1235341166.jpg
    >>
    >> Is it adequate?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Shaun
    >
    > Molex connections here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector
    >
    > Yellow = 12v positive
    > Black = 0V
    > Red = 5V positive.

    Yup, thanks. I've wired a few things a bit differently to normal over the
    years (fans etc.).

    > You should be able to ignore the -12V.

    The main thing I wanted cleared up is that the two black wires on a molex, I
    just connect them to 'ground' on this PSU? Seems logical to me but I just
    wanted to be sure.

    > I would think the current sufficient for modern drives.

    Cheers, Yeah, I think so too. I've looked at some data sheets and graphs
    from Seagate last night and, although they say peak load of 2.8A on the 12V
    the graphs they've published show that the actual current peaked at around
    1.5A and stayed there for about six seconds on start up before dropping back
    to below 1A.

    http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1243724725.jpg

    That's for the 7200.7 family of drives and is likely typical of most from
    the last 10 years.

    2.8A is probably a worst-case scenario, with a margin for error built in by
    Seagate.

    Also, this ZyXEL PSU is rated at continuous 1.5A, I feel quite confident
    that it would handle 2.8A for a split-second if the drive were to actually
    pull that much.

    Thanks Paul,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 31, 2009
  6. ~misfit~

    PeeCee Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Soooo.. How do I wire this to a molex so I can use it to power an
    >>> external drive?
    >>>
    >>> http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1235341166.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Is it adequate?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Shaun
    >>
    >> Molex connections here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector
    >>
    >> Yellow = 12v positive
    >> Black = 0V
    >> Red = 5V positive.

    > Yup, thanks. I've wired a few things a bit differently to normal over the
    > years (fans etc.).
    >
    >> You should be able to ignore the -12V.

    > The main thing I wanted cleared up is that the two black wires on a molex,
    > I just connect them to 'ground' on this PSU? Seems logical to me but I
    > just wanted to be sure.

    snip

    Yep both black wires are at 0 Volts.
    If you examine the internals of a Power Supply you will see all the black
    wires are soldered to the same copper land on the the PCB.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, May 31, 2009
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> The main thing I wanted cleared up is that the two black wires on a
    >> molex, I just connect them to 'ground' on this PSU? Seems logical to
    >> me but I just wanted to be sure.

    > snip
    >
    > Yep both black wires are at 0 Volts.
    > If you examine the internals of a Power Supply you will see all the
    > black wires are soldered to the same copper land on the the PCB.

    Thanks Paul, that's what I thought but I just wanted someone to blame if it
    goes "Bang!" <g>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.