    groung left as normal.

    Thanks

    Nick

    Nottnick, Oct 24, 2005

  2. Nottnick

    kenny Guest

    Hello,

    If you compare this:
    http://images.tigerdirect.com/SKUimages/medium/C184-03174.jpg (mono)
    with this:
    http://www.dipol.com.pl/pict/e3321 .jpg

    you will see that actually the tip is common in the both the stereo and the
    mono.
    What makes the difference between the stereo and the mono is that the stereo
    jack
    has 2 rings in the place on one ring that the mono has.
    Either you get a mono jack and connect the cables to it,
    or you get a stereo jack and you connect (solder) the 2 rings together (from
    the inside of course with the wires).
    OR you get a stereo to mono adaptor... so the same cable can serve as a
    stereo or a mono,
    (with the extension). look here:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=930277&sku=C184-03174

    kenny www.computerboom.com

    Desire and expectation rolled into one.

    kenny, Oct 24, 2005

  3. Nottnick wrote:

    > Can anyone help as I want to get this right.
    >
    > I want to take the stereo signal from my pc and feed it into the mono
    > input on a mixing desk.
    >
    > Am I right in thinking that I need to solder both signal wires (ie
    > from tip and ring of output jack)) together to the tip of the input
    > mono jack. The groung left as normal.

    You risk distortion, if the pc output is low impedance (can drive
    headphones). Two resistors are necessary for decoupling. Their value
    depends upon the input impedance of your mixer, but usually some
    10kOhms should be fine.

    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Nottnick

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:40:25 +0000 (UTC), Nottnick wrote:

    >Can anyone help as I want to get this right.
    >
    >I want to take the stereo signal from my pc and feed it into the mono input
    >on a mixing desk.

    You don't mono is 1 channel and stereo is 2.

    Get a better mixing desk.

    Better yet, get some software on the PC to mix the audio into mono.

    >Am I right in thinking that I need to solder both signal wires (ie from tip
    >and ring of output jack)) together to the tip of the input mono jack. The
    >groung left as normal.

    No. Think about it a bit more.

    You may not believe this but there are lots of audio sites, cables ,
    cable diagrams software , most likely audio newgroups like
    rec.audio.tech, it's a common question.

    Try a search search engine.

    You will also find info for hacked cables, stereo to mono with a few
    resistors and quite a few ascii art diagrams.

    Me

    why?, Oct 24, 2005
  5. Nottnick

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Nottnick" <> wrote in

    > Can anyone help as I want to get this right.
    >
    > I want to take the stereo signal from my pc and feed it into the mono
    > input on a mixing desk.

    I would take the stereo PC signal to 2 mono inputs on the mixer and then
    convert to mono within the mixer, if mono's what you want.

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Oct 24, 2005
  6. Nottnick

    Brian Guest

    "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:40:25 +0000 (UTC), Nottnick wrote:
    >
    > >Can anyone help as I want to get this right.
    > >
    > >I want to take the stereo signal from my pc and feed it into the mono

    input
    > >on a mixing desk.

    > You don't mono is 1 channel and stereo is 2.
    >
    > Get a better mixing desk.
    >
    > Better yet, get some software on the PC to mix the audio into mono.
    >
    > >Am I right in thinking that I need to solder both signal wires (ie from

    tip
    > >and ring of output jack)) together to the tip of the input mono jack. The
    > >groung left as normal.

    > No. Think about it a bit more.
    >
    > You may not believe this but there are lots of audio sites, cables ,
    > cable diagrams software , most likely audio newgroups like
    > rec.audio.tech, it's a common question.
    >
    > Try a search search engine.
    >
    > You will also find info for hacked cables, stereo to mono with a few
    > resistors and quite a few ascii art diagrams.

    says the biggest google bitch around!

    Brian, Oct 24, 2005
  7. Howdy!

    "kenny" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > If you compare this:
    > http://images.tigerdirect.com/SKUimages/medium/C184-03174.jpg (mono)
    > with this:
    > http://www.dipol.com.pl/pict/e3321 .jpg
    >
    > you will see that actually the tip is common in the both the stereo and

    the
    > mono.

    Ahem. No, the BARREL is common. Tip is one signal, and if there's
    a ring or several rings, those are others. Stereo usually has tip, ring,
    barrel. Mono has tip and barrel.

    > What makes the difference between the stereo and the mono is that the

    stereo
    > jack
    > has 2 rings in the place on one ring that the mono has.

    Terminology - Mono has NO rings. Stereo has ONE ring.

    That "other ring"? Is called a barrel.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 25, 2005
  8. Nottnick

    Shel-hed Guest

    On 24 Oct 2005 20:51:05 GMT, "fred-bloggs" <> wrote:

    >"Nottnick" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Can anyone help as I want to get this right.
    >>
    >> I want to take the stereo signal from my pc and feed it into the mono
    >> input on a mixing desk.
    >>

    >I would take the stereo PC signal to 2 mono inputs on the mixer and then
    >convert to mono within the mixer, if mono's what you want.

    My thoughts exactly. I just saw a mixer for sale for $10!
    m.i.d. -
    Svb7f.50140$Io.14338@clgrps13

    Shel-hed, Oct 25, 2005
  9. Nottnick

    Nottnick Guest

    "Shel-hed" <> wrote in message
    > On 24 Oct 2005 20:51:05 GMT, "fred-bloggs" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Nottnick" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Can anyone help as I want to get this right.
    >>>
    >>> I want to take the stereo signal from my pc and feed it into the mono
    >>> input on a mixing desk.
    >>>

    >>I would take the stereo PC signal to 2 mono inputs on the mixer and then
    >>convert to mono within the mixer, if mono's what you want.

    > My thoughts exactly. I just saw a mixer for sale for $10!
    > m.i.d. -
    > Svb7f.50140$Io.14338@clgrps13

    Thanks everyone for all advice.

    It all makes sense.

    Nick

    Nottnick, Oct 25, 2005
  10. Nottnick

    tspecht

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Stereo Source to Mono Jack

    Nick,

    I've attached a wiring diagram for a simple solution to your problem. Simply connect one output (left or right) to pin 2 of the XLR jack, and the other output to pin 3. Don't connect anything to pin 1. If your cable is long, though, you might want to use a shielded 2-conductor cable, and connect the shield to pin 3 of the XLR jack ONLY on that end, NOT on the source end.

    If this doesn't work, let me know, I'll try to help.

    Good luck!

    Tim

    Attached Files:

    tspecht, Jan 26, 2011
  11. Nottnick

    nico

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Use 2 channels !

    For those who may read this post now...

    The idea of converting a stereo sound to mono one is exactly "mixing" (you mix, i.e. add, left and right to mono), and therefore a mixing desk is exactly the necessary stuff.

    Most professionnal mixing desk use mono channels (except DJ's mixing desks which try to simplify manipulation, using stereo channels). If you plan to mix stereo sound, you must usually use two channels of your professionnal mixing desk. One for left, one for right. It is a very standard need, and many cables are designed in such a way : making a stereo channel into two mono channels. For example http://www.soundlightuk.com/shop/product_images/i/670/cabl51-wf0__63539_zoom.jpg .

    Once your two channels enter in your mixing desk, you may decide to keep the stereo (you pan 100% to left 1st channel and 100% to right second channel), or you may go to mono by panning your two channels to middle...

    Of course you may sum left and rigth by simply soldering both on a same pin, before entering in your mixing desk, but you may obtain some strange behaviour because it may generate side effects in the source system...

    nico, Oct 31, 2011
  12. Nottnick

    roadrage1125

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Stereo Microphone 1/8 jack wired/connected for mono output

    Here's a Rube Goldberg situation:

    I have a small (lapel mic size) stereo microphone for a recording Sony Walkman. A great little microphone in its day. There is a 1/8" stereo 1/8" plug solidly set in the housing - there may be no way to get it out it without damaging the microphone.

    I want to put the microphone inside a Dobro resonator to get the metal cone sound. (Yes, it's been tried successfully, and I'm pursuing other options...)

    Then I want to run the output mono into a PA system - either XLR or TS 1/4" phone plug. I'd prefer a phone plug so I can use effects boxes.

    Tell me it's not hopeless...

    roadrage

    roadrage1125, Nov 12, 2011
  13. Nottnick

    nimd4

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2009
    Messages:
    20
    Location:
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Classic thread, nice!..:) Thank God those days are behind us!! =)

    nimd4, Nov 17, 2011
  14. Nottnick

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Over the years, I have been separating the left & rights of audio sources and using separate channels on various PA's to preserve the overall sound.
    I always thought that this was necessary due to the left / right signals having inherent 'opposition'. The alternative has been to lose one channel, which isn't a good option anyway.

    If, indeed, the 3.5mm stereo TRS plug to XLR works ok, then that resolves a few issues. I've just purchased a 3.5mm TRS to XLR convertor and will report back.

    Tspecht - Thanks for a diagram - the devil is in the detail!!
    I was wondering why pin 1 of the XLR is not used in the above diagram, and how the stereo signal becomes combined within the XLR of the mixer / sound gear. (and I am not doubting you - just interested in knowing!)

    , Feb 21, 2012