    RAH Guest

    Is the Wireless Zero Configuration utility available in any OS besides
    XP? Specifically, Win98 or Me?

    RAH, Sep 11, 2006

  2. "RAH" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is the Wireless Zero Configuration utility available in any OS besides
    > XP? Specifically, Win98 or Me?

    No... You would need to use the card manager software that the manufacturer
    of your wireless card supplies...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Sep 11, 2006

  3. RAH

    RAH Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:01:13 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
    <> wrote:

    >"RAH" <> wrote in message
    >> Is the Wireless Zero Configuration utility available in any OS besides
    >> XP? Specifically, Win98 or Me?

    >No... You would need to use the card manager software that the manufacturer
    >of your wireless card supplies...

    Thanks. My problem is in trying to get an old Sony Laptop with Me
    connected to my network. When I was 100% Linksys, I had no problems.
    However, when I switched my LinkSys wireless cable modem/router for a
    2Wire DSL wireless modem/router, with the same LinkSys 54g wireless
    adapters, nothing worked with the LinkSys software. I had to go to
    WZC on three of my computers, but the Sony refuses to connect at all
    (connects to router, but no Internet) and the fix for the other
    computers was to go to WZC. But with no WZC on the Sony, I guess I
    need to find some other chore for that one that doesn't require the
    wireless connection.

    Dick

    RAH, Sep 11, 2006
  4. RAH

    Guest

    On 11-Sep-2006, RAH <> wrote:

    > Thanks. My problem is in trying to get an old Sony Laptop with Me
    > connected to my network. When I was 100% Linksys, I had no problems.

    Look for a USB wireless adapter with W98/WinMe support.
    That said some wireless adapters don't hold a solid connection,
    I abandoned D-Link. A Chinese branded one, ZyDAS based
    drivers, rock solid, and with a reflector exceptional range.

    , Sep 12, 2006
  5. RAH wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:01:13 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"RAH" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is the Wireless Zero Configuration utility available in any OS
    >>> besides XP? Specifically, Win98 or Me?

    >>No... You would need to use the card manager software that the
    >>manufacturer of your wireless card supplies...

    > Thanks. My problem is in trying to get an old Sony Laptop with Me
    > connected to my network. When I was 100% Linksys, I had no problems.
    > However, when I switched my LinkSys wireless cable modem/router for a
    > 2Wire DSL wireless modem/router, with the same LinkSys 54g wireless
    > adapters, nothing worked with the LinkSys software.

    What else did you change when you moved from Linksys?

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Sep 12, 2006
  6. RAH

    RAH Guest

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:19:16 -0700, Axel Hammerschmidt
    <> wrote:

    >RAH wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:01:13 -0500, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"RAH" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>>No... You would need to use the card manager software that the
    >>>manufacturer of your wireless card supplies...

    >> Thanks. My problem is in trying to get an old Sony Laptop with Me
    >> connected to my network. When I was 100% Linksys, I had no problems.
    >> However, when I switched my LinkSys wireless cable modem/router for a
    >> 2Wire DSL wireless modem/router, with the same LinkSys 54g wireless
    >> adapters, nothing worked with the LinkSys software.

    >What else did you change when you moved from Linksys?

    Nothing. I got a new ISP on DSL instead of cable, installed their
    proprietary DSP wireless modem, and connected to the network using a
    cable for the main computer, and wireless LinkSys USB adapters for the
    others. Everything fired right up except for the laptop running
    Windows Me. The other computers are all running XP Pro or Home.

    RAH, Sep 12, 2006
  7. RAH <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:19:16 -0700, Axel Hammerschmidt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >RAH wrote:

    > >> Thanks. My problem is in trying to get an old Sony Laptop with Me
    > >> connected to my network. When I was 100% Linksys, I had no problems.
    > >> However, when I switched my LinkSys wireless cable modem/router for a
    > >> 2Wire DSL wireless modem/router, with the same LinkSys 54g wireless
    > >> adapters, nothing worked with the LinkSys software.

    > >What else did you change when you moved from Linksys?

    > Nothing. I got a new ISP on DSL instead of cable, installed their
    > proprietary DSP wireless modem, and connected to the network using a
    > cable for the main computer, and wireless LinkSys USB adapters for the
    > others. Everything fired right up except for the laptop running
    > Windows Me. The other computers are all running XP Pro or Home.

    You didn't change the encryption method? You seem to be able to associate
    with the access point, but authentication fails. Is that correct?

    Why did you want WZC? What Linksys card manager client are you using with
    Me?

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Sep 15, 2006
  8. RAH

    RAH Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:19:12 +0200, "Axel Hammerschmidt"
    <> wrote:

    >RAH <> wrote:

    >> >What else did you change when you moved from Linksys?

    >> Nothing. I got a new ISP on DSL instead of cable, installed their
    >> proprietary DSP wireless modem, and connected to the network using a
    >> cable for the main computer, and wireless LinkSys USB adapters for the
    >> others. Everything fired right up except for the laptop running
    >> Windows Me. The other computers are all running XP Pro or Home.

    >You didn't change the encryption method? You seem to be able to associate
    >with the access point, but authentication fails. Is that correct?
    >
    >Why did you want WZC? What Linksys card manager client are you using with
    >Me?

    Same WEP encryption method for all computers. I tried to use the
    LinkSys software that came with the 54g wireless adapters, but the
    2Wire router simply would not work with that software. Someone on
    this group advised me to use WZC. That worked perfectly, except for
    the laptop running Windows Me. WZC doesn't seem to be available for
    Windows Me.

    It is important to note that the system ran perfectly for over a year
    on all computers, including the laptop, when I was using a LinkSys
    WCG200 Cable Gateway. However, when I put a 2Wire DSL wireless router
    in place of the LinkSys WCG200, nothing I tried would let ANY of the
    computers access the Internet. I could see that there was a wireless
    connection with the router, but I could not get the WEP to work on
    anything until I switched to WZC.

    i'm OK with the way it is. I have 3 desktops and 2 laptops running on
    the network right now. The old laptop with Windows Me won't be used
    on the network anymore.

    RAH, Sep 15, 2006