Wireless Zero Configuration and USB adaptor

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by rybock@cox.net, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    New problem on my HP Pavillion (XP MC). Have a Linksys USB Wireless-G
    adaptor. Now, after a little while, it appears disabled. I can manually
    re-enable it, or "fix connection", and get it up and running for a
    short while (during which time it is running at 100%)

    The "View Wireless Connections" page says it cannot configure the
    connection, that there may be another program in charge (nothing new
    has been installed, and I've searched for any malware that might
    interfere), and to run the Wireless Zero Configuration (see KB #
    871122).

    Looking at the services, WZC is set to automatic and "started". It is
    dependant on "Remote Procedure Call" (also started and set to
    automatic) and "NDIS usermode i/o protocol". I'm thinking that might be
    where the problem is, but for no better reason than I can't find it (it
    has a different icon than other services, and I can't seem to find
    decent info on it online).

    So, I'm at a dead end. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    , Sep 19, 2006

  2. Hi
    The Wireless Utility that was installed by the Laptop manufacturer is taking
    over and disabling WZC.
    You have the disable the original utility if you want to use WZC.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 19, 2006

  3. Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > The Wireless Utility that was installed by the Laptop manufacturer is taking
    > over and disabling WZC.
    > You have the disable the original utility if you want to use WZC.
    > My New Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Thank you for the response. Actually, though, it is a desktop, with no
    built-in wireless. I am using an off the shelf Linksys Wireless-G
    adaptor, which has worked for several months with no problem.

  4. Newtechie Guest

    Hi Jack,

    So if I just wanted to use the WZC, could I just uninstall the
    utility/software that came with the adapter or do I need it in order for it
    to work?

    newtechie

    Newtechie, Sep 20, 2006
  5. "" wrote:
    > New problem on my HP Pavillion (XP MC). Have a Linksys USB Wireless-G
    > adaptor. Now, after a little while, it appears disabled. I can manually
    > re-enable it, or "fix connection", and get it up and running for a
    > short while (during which time it is running at 100%)
    >
    > The "View Wireless Connections" page says it cannot configure the
    > connection, that there may be another program in charge (nothing new
    > has been installed, and I've searched for any malware that might
    > interfere), and to run the Wireless Zero Configuration (see KB #
    > 871122).
    >
    > Looking at the services, WZC is set to automatic and "started". It is
    > dependant on "Remote Procedure Call" (also started and set to
    > automatic) and "NDIS usermode i/o protocol". I'm thinking that might be
    > where the problem is, but for no better reason than I can't find it (it
    > has a different icon than other services, and I can't seem to find
    > decent info on it online).
    >
    > So, I'm at a dead end. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    What do you mean is "disabled" - media disconnected, or a red X in device
    manager?

    This certainly looks like malware...

    --PA
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Sep 21, 2006
  6. Guest

    Pavel A. wrote:
    > "" wrote:
    > > New problem on my HP Pavillion (XP MC). Have a Linksys USB Wireless-G
    > > adaptor. Now, after a little while, it appears disabled. I can manually
    > > re-enable it, or "fix connection", and get it up and running for a
    > > short while (during which time it is running at 100%)
    > >
    > > The "View Wireless Connections" page says it cannot configure the
    > > connection, that there may be another program in charge (nothing new
    > > has been installed, and I've searched for any malware that might
    > > interfere), and to run the Wireless Zero Configuration (see KB #
    > > 871122).
    > >
    > > Looking at the services, WZC is set to automatic and "started". It is
    > > dependant on "Remote Procedure Call" (also started and set to
    > > automatic) and "NDIS usermode i/o protocol". I'm thinking that might be
    > > where the problem is, but for no better reason than I can't find it (it
    > > has a different icon than other services, and I can't seem to find
    > > decent info on it online).
    > >
    > > So, I'm at a dead end. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    > What do you mean is "disabled" - media disconnected, or a red X in device
    > manager?
    >
    > This certainly looks like malware...
    >
    > --PA

    Disconnected. The device is fine under Hardware Manager.

    For now, it seems to have gone away. While going through services, I
    found options to restart in the event of failure. I turned on that
    feature for all relavent services, and it seems to be working fine now.
    Time will tell.
    , Sep 21, 2006