    work.

    Where do I start to look to see where the problem might lie?

    Jeff
    Jeff, Nov 25, 2005

  2. Jeff

    Ryan Younger Guest

    Ok, have you eliminated a damaged Cat5 cable? Have you verified that the
    network adapter on your laptop is working (have you connected to any other
    wired networks successfully recently?). Do you have any other computers
    which you can connect to the ethernet port on the router as a test?

    It would seem sensible to assume that the problem is either your laptop
    (software or hardware or both), the wireless router or the Cat5 cable. You
    just need to eliminate two of these variables and you will have your
    culprit.

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog

    Ryan Younger, Nov 26, 2005

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thank you for replying. I had already eliminated all these. Turned out to
    be the router's MAC filter that was at fault.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Jeff

    Ryan Younger Guest

    So the router was the culprit. MAC address filtering can be an
    administratice headache if you use a number of different machines. Also
    remember that someone packet sniffing can acquire your MAC address anyway
    (wireless frames contain source and destination MAC addresses).

    --
    All the best,

    Ryan Younger.
    Networking Weblog