    the machines be going thru the router to see each other or go ad-hoc?

    Thanks for the help,
    Phil

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0xT?=, Aug 26, 2005

  2. I forgot to mention that while in the set up wizards, I told it to file and
    print share.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0xT?=, Aug 26, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q0xT?=

    Malke Guest

    CLS wrote:

    > I forgot to mention that while in the set up wizards, I told it to
    > file and print share.
    >
    > "CLS" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 2WIRE DSL modem/router. I've connected 2 laptops and 1 pc to
    >> the router-all wireless. I've set up all 3 machines in a workgroup
    >> called
    >> "2wireXXX". All 3 can connect to the internet ok thru the router.
    >> BUT, none of the machines can see each other, thus I can't file and
    >> print share. All 3 machines have been told to file and print share.
    >> I've gone thru the wireless network connection wizard and the "make
    >> new connection" wizard. No help.
    >>
    >> 1 laptop is XP home-HP, with built in wireless adapter
    >> the other laptop is a Dell-XP pro with built in wireless adapter,
    >> and the pc is a Dell is XP Pro with a D-link wireless adapter.
    >>
    >> The Dell laptop can't even see itself when I pull up the workgroups.
    >> I get a msg that says the "2wireXXX router can't be accessed.......".
    >> But it can access the internet!
    >>
    >> What did I do wrong? Should I have named the workgroup differently?
    >> Should the machines be going thru the router to see each other or go
    >> ad-hoc?
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help,
    >> Phil

    The name of the workgroup is irrelevant; Windows machines in different
    workgroups can see each other and share resources. It sounds like a
    misconfigured firewall. I'm assuming from your description that you
    have Service Pack 2. When you run the Network Setup Wizard, it
    automatically enables the Windows Firewall, which you correctly set to
    allow file/printer sharing. However, if you have a third-party firewall
    installed also you need to disable the WF. Check and see if your
    antivirus program includes a firewall and/or you are running a
    third-party firewall. For instance, Norton Antivirus 2005 includes
    "Internet Worm Protection" which is a firewall.

    You have the physical network set up correctly - you don't want ad hoc.

    In the meantime, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by MVP
    Hans-Georg Michna. If you take the time to go through it carefully it
    will pinpoint the problem area(s):

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --