    a way that they can be setup to connect to connect? Do we need to have
    them connect through something like IPSec?

    Brian
    Another Brian, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Well, wirless authentication may or may not require domain credentials:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/cryptographyetc/peap_2.mspx

    Once they are connected, non domain users can access domain resources by
    supplying domain credentials on a per connection basis:

    net use x: \\server\share /user:domain\user password

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Apr 24, 2006

  3. In news:,
    Another Brian <> typed:
    > I'm in charge of a network that is a Windows domain. We've added a
    > wireless router and would like members to be able to connect their
    > laptops that are not part of the domain but are part of a workgroup to
    > be able to connect to resources on the domain. This include the file
    > server and the Internet through the server and the printers in the
    > domain. The server is running Win 2003 Server SBS.
    >
    > The members do have accounts in the domain. Since most of these
    > laptops have Win XP Home, they cannot be added to the domain. Is there
    > a way that they can be setup to connect to connect? Do we need to have
    > them connect through something like IPSec?
    >
    > Brian

    One thing to mention - you may be opening up your network to lots of
    uninvited guests, if you allow non-domain/non centrally managed & locked
    down computers to access your network at all (whether wireless or wired). I
    wouldn't allow this if it were up to me.....I'd make it a company policy
    that all computers on the network are to run XP Pro (or Win2k Pro) and must
    join the domain and be managed by group policy/antivirus software/whatnot.

    Apart from that - it doesn't really matter if they're wired, or wireless.
    Once they're connected, they do the same thing - supply credentials to the
    domain controller to access resources on the domain.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Apr 24, 2006