    another pc, but that pc still doesn't appear in the network list.

    Can someone help before I go crazy and put all my wires back in?!

    Many thanks.
    ib, Apr 3, 2008

  2. Hi
    If you change your Network Topology IP assignment and other Network
    parameters probably changed.
    Un-map all you Drives/Folders, take care of Sharing, and Map it again.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 3, 2008

  3. I can't follow your description. But it is pretty straightforward to do:

    In my illustration I am refering to your "wireless router" as a NAT Firewall
    with a built in Switch and Wireless Access Point. It is a mouthful to say
    and no one is expecting you to call it that. But it is important that you
    understand that this is what it is when you are working with this stuff.

    {cable tv line}

    [Cable Modem]

    [NAT Firewall/Switch with WAP]-------<wireless devices connecting
    wirelessly>
    | |
    | --------<non-wireless devices to built in
    switch>

    [LAN Switch]-----<more non-wireless devices to stand-alone switch>

    You effectively have two Switches,...the one you mentioned,...plus the
    additional ports in the back of the NAT Box (typically 4). Your wired
    devices can be plugged into either place. All those ports do the same thing
    and go to the same place.

    The wireless devices obviously connect through the antennas on the NAT Box
    via the built in Access Point.

    To make sure all the machies have a compatible TCP/IP config,... set all the
    Connections (Interfaces/Nics) to get the Configuration "automatically".
    This is selected in two places within the same Dialog box. It needs to be
    automatic for both the IP Config and the DNS (yes, its possible to have auto
    TCP/IP yet have static DNS).

    As far as the sharing stuff,..I'm not sure. I usually just deal with the
    networking side of things here in this message group. At our place we run
    an Active Directory Domain and sharing is much more straight forward and
    controllable than in a "home user" situation. Maybe someone else can chime
    in with ideas on that part of it.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Apr 3, 2008
  4. ib

    ib Guest

    Great answers, many thanks, I'll work through this tomorrow and let you know
    how I get on.

    Cheers, Ian
    ib, Apr 3, 2008