    that can be setup without the Internet? The person I'm setting this for
    doesn't have the Internet nor do they plan on getting it. They just want to
    share a printer. The setup will have to be very basic. Thanks.
    =?Utf-8?B?bXJpY2g=?=, Jun 25, 2007

  2. Hi
    What is called a Wireless Cable/Router is actually a combo unit of 4 ports
    Switch, Access Point (the Wireless part), and Routing circuit.
    The Switch and the Access Point are on the private side and are used for
    Internal (private) Networking. If you connected the Internet to the WAN
    (Internet) side the private Network get the Internet connection too (the
    Routing circuits Route the Internet to the private side).
    In short ,Yes, Cable/DSL Routers can be used to form a wired/wireless
    network regardless of the existence, or None existence, of an Internet
    connection.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 25, 2007

  3. On Jun 24, 5:51 pm, mrich <> wrote:
    > This is a follow on to an earlier question. Are there any wireless routers
    > that can be setup without the Internet? The person I'm setting this for
    > doesn't have the Internet nor do they plan on getting it. They just want to
    > share a printer. The setup will have to be very basic. Thanks.

    You don't need a router to connect two wireless devices together. What
    you need is either (A) a Wireless Access Point (WAP) or (B) an "ad-
    hoc" setup where the two wireless stations communicate directly with
    each other, in a point-to-point fashion.

    You don't need additional hardware to run an ad-hoc link, although the
    potential for performance and range on your link will be reduced in
    this configuration.
    Justin Brown - SYNACS, Jun 25, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bXJpY2g=?=

    Jim Guest

    "mrich" <> wrote in message
    > This is a follow on to an earlier question. Are there any wireless routers
    > that can be setup without the Internet? The person I'm setting this for
    > doesn't have the Internet nor do they plan on getting it. They just want
    > share a printer. The setup will have to be very basic. Thanks.

    Of course you can setup the router without it being connected to the
    internet. It is easier to connect one computer to the router via an
    ethernet port for setup and management.

    Jim
    Jim, Jun 25, 2007