    Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
    cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
    promote for performance, not preferences.
    CWLee, Sep 9, 2009

  2. CWLee

    CWLee Guest

    "Eric Shune" <> provided a website
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial-up_Internet_access) which
    was interesting to read, but did not answer my (the OP)
    question, repeated below:

    A clerk at Staples told me that in order to add a wireless
    router to my system (so a friend's laptop could go online at
    my place) I had to have a DSL (instead of my current
    dial-up) connection. Is that correct?
    CWLee, Sep 9, 2009

  3. On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:18:44 -0700, "CWLee"
    <> wrote:

    >My computer has only a dial-up connection, via my ISP, to
    >the internet. A clerk at Staples told me that in order to
    >add a wireless router to my system (so a friend's laptop
    >could go online at my place) I had to have a DSL connection.
    >Is that correct?
    >
    >Thanks.

    No. I don't think that the clerk understands your setup. You'll get
    much better information here. :)

    You need to:

    1. Enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your computer's dial-up
    connection.

    2. Change the wireless router's LAN setup if it currently uses the
    same 192.168.0.x IP address range that ICS uses.

    3. Connect the wireless router's WAN (Internet) port to your
    computer's Ethernet port.
    --
    Best Wishes,
    Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd [MS-MVP], Sep 9, 2009
  4. Steve Winograd [MS-MVP] <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:18:44 -0700, "CWLee"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> My computer has only a dial-up connection, via my ISP, to
    >> the internet. A clerk at Staples told me that in order to
    >> add a wireless router to my system (so a friend's laptop
    >> could go online at my place) I had to have a DSL connection.
    >> Is that correct?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > No. I don't think that the clerk understands your setup. You'll get
    > much better information here. :)
    >
    > You need to:
    >
    > 1. Enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your computer's dial-up
    > connection.
    >
    > 2. Change the wireless router's LAN setup if it currently uses the
    > same 192.168.0.x IP address range that ICS uses.
    >
    > 3. Connect the wireless router's WAN (Internet) port to your
    > computer's Ethernet port.

    But if he doesn't have broadband, it's gonna suck.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Sep 9, 2009
  5. Hi
    This is rather old but the principle is still the same,
    http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Sep 9, 2009
  6. CWLee

    Lem Guest

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    > Steve Winograd [MS-MVP] <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:18:44 -0700, "CWLee"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My computer has only a dial-up connection, via my ISP, to
    >>> the internet. A clerk at Staples told me that in order to
    >>> add a wireless router to my system (so a friend's laptop
    >>> could go online at my place) I had to have a DSL connection.
    >>> Is that correct?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> No. I don't think that the clerk understands your setup. You'll get
    >> much better information here. :)
    >>
    >> You need to:
    >>
    >> 1. Enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on your computer's dial-up
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> 2. Change the wireless router's LAN setup if it currently uses the
    >> same 192.168.0.x IP address range that ICS uses.
    >>
    >> 3. Connect the wireless router's WAN (Internet) port to your
    >> computer's Ethernet port.

    > But if he doesn't have broadband, it's gonna suck.

    Which is why it's difficult to find a home-level router with a built-in
    dial-up modem these days (current link to the device Jack links to:
    http://www.bestdata.com/store/product.php?productid=16156&cat=10&page=1).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Sep 9, 2009
  7. CWLee

    John Guest

    "CWLee" <> wrote in message

    > "Eric Shune" <> provided a website
    > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial-up_Internet_access) which was
    > interesting to read, but did not answer my (the OP) question, repeated
    > below:
    >
    > A clerk at Staples told me that in order to add a wireless router to my
    > system (so a friend's laptop could go online at my place) I had to have a
    > DSL (instead of my current dial-up) connection. Is that correct?

    For best experience, yes, a broadband connection (DSL or cable) is needed.
    If you don't mind waiting several minutes for a web page to load, shared
    connection thru dial-up will do the job. Try watching youtube video clips on
    multiple computers thru your shared dial-up connection. You'll have fun
    talking to your friend while waiting for the video to load (if it doesn't
    time out).
    John, Sep 10, 2009