    literacy.

    Goodwill,
    Luke
    Luke O'Malley, Nov 16, 2005

  2. Luke O'Malley

    Tony Guest

    "Luke O'Malley" <> wrote in message
    news:%lOef.76820$...
    >I have three computers running XP and they are a home wired
    > networked. I subscribe to optonline and the cable comes into a
    > stand-alone cable modem. This is attached to a Belkin 5 port
    > network switch. No problems, b . .u . .t, I would like to run my
    > laptop wireless some times - it is set up for a wireless network and
    > I have used it on vacation.
    >
    > 1. Why am I using s 'switch' instead of a router'. I believe it
    > did not work with a router at first.
    > 2. If a wireless switch exists, should I be using it? Would I be
    > able to hook wired computers to a wireless switch?
    > 3. Would a wireless router work? Is it possible to connect wired
    > computers to a wireless router?
    >
    > I believe the incredible complexity of the questions I have posed
    > will serve as a reference to my extremely high level of computer
    > literacy.
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    Simplest way would be to get a wireless access point and plug it into the
    network switch.

    Up until today, I had a separate modem, switch and access point but have
    just bought and installed a wireless router. It seems to be a faster
    connection and the wireless signal is better all over the house. It also
    looks a lot tidier with less wires cluttering up the place!
    Tony, Nov 16, 2005

  3. Luke O'Malley

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Luke O'Malley <> wrote in news:%lOef.76820
    $:

    > I have three computers running XP and they are a home wired
    > networked. I subscribe to optonline and the cable comes into a
    > stand-alone cable modem. This is attached to a Belkin 5 port
    > network switch. No problems, b . .u . .t, I would like to run my
    > laptop wireless some times - it is set up for a wireless network and
    > I have used it on vacation.
    >
    > 1. Why am I using s 'switch' instead of a router'. I believe it
    > did not work with a router at first.
    > 2. If a wireless switch exists, should I be using it? Would I be
    > able to hook wired computers to a wireless switch?
    > 3. Would a wireless router work? Is it possible to connect wired
    > computers to a wireless router?
    >
    > I believe the incredible complexity of the questions I have posed
    > will serve as a reference to my extremely high level of computer
    > literacy.

    Simply go get yourself a wire/wireless AP router and be done with it. You
    can plug the switch into the router if you need more wire LAN ports.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 17, 2005