Wireless WinXP Laptop Won't Connect to Internet

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by lycralout@gmail.com, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Perhaps someone can help? My laptop won't connect to the Internet
    through my home wireless network, even though other PCs do.

    Here's the setup: One computer, running WinXP Home, connects directly
    to the Internet through a USB modem with Internet Connection Sharing
    enabled. It also connects (using a powerline network) to a Dlink Access
    Point. The computer is set to be the DHCP server -- I think that *has*
    to be the case under Windows XP in this configuration, though I may be
    wrong.

    Other desktops have Dlink wireless cards, also run WinXP home. They get
    IP addresses from the DHCP Server/ISC computer and access the Internet
    without a problem.

    The laptop runs WinXP Pro and has a Netgear PCMCIA card. It doesn't
    receive an IP address and reports that connection to the wireless
    network is "limited" -- this even though the laptop and access point
    are within several feet of one another. If I manually set the IP
    address, it reports "excellent" connection to the network. But it
    doesn't find any web pages, and can't even open the access point's
    maintenance screen. This problem occurs even when I turn off Windows
    Firewall on both the laptop and the ISC computer.

    Can anyone explain what's going on, please? I've spent hours fiddling
    and getting nowhere.

    , Nov 9, 2005

  2. Quaoar Guest

    wrote:
    > Perhaps someone can help? My laptop won't connect to the Internet
    > through my home wireless network, even though other PCs do.
    >
    > Here's the setup: One computer, running WinXP Home, connects directly
    > to the Internet through a USB modem with Internet Connection Sharing
    > enabled. It also connects (using a powerline network) to a Dlink
    > Access Point. The computer is set to be the DHCP server -- I think
    > that *has* to be the case under Windows XP in this configuration,
    > though I may be wrong.
    >
    > Other desktops have Dlink wireless cards, also run WinXP home. They
    > get IP addresses from the DHCP Server/ISC computer and access the
    > Internet without a problem.
    >
    > The laptop runs WinXP Pro and has a Netgear PCMCIA card. It doesn't
    > receive an IP address and reports that connection to the wireless
    > network is "limited" -- this even though the laptop and access point
    > are within several feet of one another. If I manually set the IP
    > address, it reports "excellent" connection to the network. But it
    > doesn't find any web pages, and can't even open the access point's
    > maintenance screen. This problem occurs even when I turn off Windows
    > Firewall on both the laptop and the ISC computer.
    >
    > Can anyone explain what's going on, please? I've spent hours fiddling
    > and getting nowhere.

    Google a copy of winsockxpfix.exe to repair the TCP/IP stack. Check
    TCP/IP properties, advanced button, Options tab, TCP/IP Filtering
    properties. Verify that Filtering, if Enabled, is set to Permit All for
    all ports/protocols, Apply, then turn off filtering. Set the wireless
    to Infrastructure only, uncheck the bit about automatically connecting
    to unpreferred networks.

    Is this a *broadband* USB modem? If it is, then you will find superior
    performance with a router or an ethernet NIC in the host computer.

    Quaoar, Nov 9, 2005

  3. Hi
    May be this can Help.
    In General you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following
    these steps.
    Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
    Make sure that the drivers are installed correctly; there is No IRQ
    conflict, and No Ghost installation. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
    Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify
    If the above two Steps indicates that every thing looks good but
    functionally it does not work.
    Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
    or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
    If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
    instructions for Windows Network Installation -
    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 9, 2005
  4. lycralout Guest

    Folks, thanks for the suggestions. Will take a look when I get home
    tonight.

    lycralout, Nov 10, 2005
  5. zidanz_cn Guest

    may be u didn't set your dns? o

    zidanz_cn, Nov 11, 2005
  6. lycralout Guest

    > may be u didn't set your dns?

    That was it! I was hoping it would use the ISP's DNS automatically, but
    looks as though I had to give it the IP address. This means it now
    works with an assigned IP. The "get address from DHCP server" route
    isn't wokring, but at least I can now use the damned thing.

    lycralout, Nov 15, 2005
  7. lycralout wrote:

    >> may be u didn't set your dns?

    > That was it! I was hoping it would use the ISP's DNS automatically, but
    > looks as though I had to give it the IP address. This means it now
    > works with an assigned IP. The "get address from DHCP server" route
    > isn't wokring, but at least I can now use the damned thing.

    The two parts go hand in hand. If you "get address from DHCP server" it
    will set up DNS as well. Otherwise, you need to set both the IP _and_ the
    DNS addresses.
    --
    derek

    Derek Broughton, Nov 15, 2005
  8. Derek Broughton <> wrote:
    >lycralout wrote:
    >>> may be u didn't set your dns?

    >> That was it!

    >The two parts go hand in hand. If you "get address from DHCP server" it
    >will set up DNS as well. Otherwise, you need to set both the IP _and_ the
    >DNS addresses.

    Yeah, XP will allow you to set static DNS with dynamic IP, but not the
    other way around. Dunno what the appropriate RFC allows.

    William P.N. Smith, Nov 15, 2005
  9. BklynArtie Guest

    Hi,

    A quick test for your DNS resolution.

    Go to Start------Run ----type in CMD and hit OK

    Type in nslookup

    then type in www.yahoo.com

    This should return an IP address for yahoo.com

    If you get a time out, then you know DNS is not working...if you get an
    IP address for Yahoo.com then DNS is OK.

    If your DNS is not working, you need to ensure that you are using the
    DNS servers from your ISP.....if you have a Broadband Router that is
    assigning you IP Addreess, then the DNS server is the IP address of the
    router.........if you have a broadband connection with a Static
    Address, then the ISP needs to provide you with the DNS servers.

    Hope this helped.

    BklynArtie, Nov 17, 2005
  10. Helpisontheway

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Im experiencing a similar problem, my laptop connects for like 15 seconds then it disconnect ofr get the "limited or no connectivity" pop-up. I did the dns test the poster above suggested, and found that it did time out when i typed www.yahoo.com in. I'm just not sure how to find the ip of my router, and how to set my DNS to that ip. Can somebody give me some help on how to do this?

    Helpisontheway, Aug 28, 2006