    Newbie question.

    Is there a wireless Voip that can be used without the computer running?

    Thanks

    binza, Mar 31, 2006

  2. binza wrote:
    > Newbie question.
    >
    > Is there a wireless Voip that can be used without the computer running?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes, there are lots.

    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 31, 2006

  3. binza

    binza Guest

    Thanks for your answer.
    Could you tell me some brands for me to check?
    Thanks again.

    binza, Mar 31, 2006
  4. binza wrote:
    > Thanks for your answer.
    > Could you tell me some brands for me to check?
    > Thanks again.

    Cisco do some, linksys has one, dlink don't have one yet Starcom do one.
    IIRC Myson century have an SoC that is specifically designed for this
    application, so you should see piles of cheap ones from chia at some stage.

    Last I heard, they all suffered from poor battery life, Very soon there
    will be some mobile phones available that also support WLANs (like the
    nokia e series).

    Of course the cheapest route is still to buy an ATA and a dect phone.

    Thomas Kenyon, Mar 31, 2006
  5. binza

    binza Guest

    Thank you Thomas.

    binza, Mar 31, 2006
  6. binza

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Thomas Kenyon" <> wrote in
    message news:CO5Xf.9059$
    > binza wrote:
    > > Thanks for your answer.
    > > Could you tell me some brands for me to check?
    > > Thanks again.
    > >

    > Cisco do some, linksys has one, dlink don't have one yet
    > Starcom do one. IIRC Myson century have an SoC that is
    > specifically designed for this application, so you should
    > see piles of cheap ones from chia at some stage.
    >
    > Last I heard, they all suffered from poor battery life,
    > Very soon there will be some mobile phones available that
    > also support WLANs (like the nokia e series).
    >
    > Of course the cheapest route is still to buy an ATA and a
    > dect phone.

    Which is what I do. The DECT phone is an extension off my analogue PABX
    and is configured to ring for an incoming call on any line.

    Ivor

    PS to the OP could you not top post in this group please, thanks..!
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    Ivor Jones, Mar 31, 2006
  7. binza

    alexd Guest

    Thomas Kenyon wrote:

    > Of course the cheapest route is still to buy an ATA and a dect phone.

    ....which is probably the most sensible option, as the frequency band used by
    DECT phones is much less chaotic than the band used by WiFi phones, and
    therefore less likely to drop out or suffering irritating intermittant
    connection issues.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    19:00:59 up 1 day, 21 min, 3 users, load average: 0.38, 0.26, 0.28

    alexd, Mar 31, 2006
  8. binza

    > Guest

    As a newbie to this I used viop for about 5 days before I bought a lynksys
    pap2 hooked this upto my computer router, then my dect house phone, 12 hours
    later and lots of help from the guys here (thank you), signed up with
    sipdiscount and got a local 0121 number and now it works fine, free uk phone
    calls.

    Good look