    networkâ€>.

    Both workgroups are MSHOME.

    Any ideas?
    mr-espresso, Sep 30, 2008

  2. mr-espresso

    smlunatick Guest

    On Sep 30, 4:20 pm, mr-espresso <mr-
    > wrote:
    > My Vista laptop is sharing an Internet connection with my XP desktop via a
    > D-Link 615, but the two computers can't see each other in any network.
    >
    > The laptop connects to “my wireless network” but its network map only sees
    > the wireless router and the Internet - and not the desktop. This network is
    > “private.”
    >
    > The desktop doesn’t display “my wireless network” among the network
    > connections, although when I run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard, one
    > option presented is to <add new computers or devices to “my wireless
    > network”>.
    >
    > Both workgroups are MSHOME.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    It doe not matter if either are connected wirelessly. You need to
    have:

    1) Both part of the same workgroup
    2) Both using same IP address scheme (ie: 192.168.xxx.yyy
    192.168.xxx.yyy+1)
    3) Firewall settings to let File / Printer sharing thru
    4) Anti-virus settings so that NetBIOS name resolution is permitted.
    If not, you will only be able to see PCs by IP addresses
    smlunatick, Sep 30, 2008

  3. mr-espresso

    mr-espresso Guest

    mr-espresso, Sep 30, 2008
  4. mr-espresso

    smlunatick Guest

    On Sep 30, 7:19 pm, mr-espresso <>
    wrote:
    > Both part of the same workgroup
    >
    > > Yes, both workgroups are MSHOME

    > Both using same IP address scheme (ie: 192.168.xxx.yyy, 192.168.xxx.yyy+1)
    >
    > > No, Desktop is 192.xxx.2.4 and Laptop is 192.xxx.0.199. How do I fix this?

    > Firewall settings to let File / Printer sharing thru
    >
    > > Yes

    > Anti-virus settings so that NetBIOS name resolution is permitted.
    >
    > > I'm using AVG Free edition and there is no setting for this

    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > On Sep 30, 4:20 pm, mr-espresso <mr-
    > > > wrote:
    > > > My Vista laptop is sharing an Internet connection with my XP desktop via a
    > > > D-Link 615, but the two computers can't see each other in any network..

    > > > The laptop connects to “my wireless network” but its network map only sees
    > > > the wireless router and the Internet - and not the desktop. This network is
    > > > “private.”

    > > > The desktop doesn’t display “my wireless network” among the network
    > > > connections, although when I run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard, one
    > > > option presented is to <add new computers or devices to “my wireless
    > > > network”>.

    > > > Both workgroups are MSHOME.

    > > > Any ideas?

    > > It doe not matter if either are connected wirelessly.  You  need to
    > > have:

    > > 1) Both part of the same workgroup
    > > 2) Both using same IP address scheme (ie: 192.168.xxx.yyy
    > > 192.168.xxx.yyy+1)
    > > 3) Firewall settings to let  File / Printer sharing thru
    > > 4) Anti-virus settings so that NetBIOS name resolution is permitted.
    > > If not, you will only be able to see PCs by IP addresses

    You need to change the IP address in the Network settings and change
    so both are on the same network scheme.
    smlunatick, Sep 30, 2008
  5. mr-espresso

    mr-espresso Guest

    Problem solved. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

    After getting the IP addresses aligned, I still had to identify and cure
    another dozen or so XP-Vista headaches. All in all, this experience was
    enough to make me think seriously about an Apple instead of a PC next time.

    mr-espresso, Oct 1, 2008