Wireless USB problem with large files?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Rick Gibson, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. Rick Gibson

    Rick Gibson Guest

    I have a TrendNet TEW-452BRP wireless router and a TEW-444UB USB wireless
    adapter. They are both working fine although the speed is limited by the
    fact that the computer that the TEW-444UB is connected to only has USB 1.1
    ports. The computer is running Windows XP SP2 home edition.

    I just installed a USB 2.0 PCI adapter in that computer and plugged the
    TEW-444UB into a USB 2.0 port.

    I was able to transfer several files and transfers were much quicker.

    The problem came when I tried to transfer a file greater that about 100 MB.
    Part way through the large file transfer the wireless connection dropped. I
    tried restoring the connection via the 802.11g wireless client but was
    unable to because the TEW-452BRP access point did not show up in the list of
    available networks. I tried rebooting the computer but then the device
    manager showed the 802.11g wireless network adapter as "unable to start
    (code 10)".

    If I disconnect the TEW-444UB and plug it back into either the USB 2.0 or
    USB 1.1 port the connection restores immediately.

    Signal strength varies between very good and excellent. All advanced
    wireless settings are at default. I tried both static turbo and dynamic
    turbo modes with the same result.

    I sent this to TrendNet tech support and they suggested that the new USB
    card is not providing sufficient power to the USB wireless adapter ?? I
    doubt that this is the problem.

    Any idea why the connection is dropping on large files transfers?

    Rick Gibson, Feb 22, 2006

  2. Rick Gibson

    James Gockel Guest

    You'll probably be better off transfering large files via a wired network
    anyway. You're also going to be better off buying a wireless card and
    tossing the USB device...
    So your options are really... get a new wireless card, or temporarily hard
    wire the computer to transfer the large file... or third option is find a
    good download manager, something that can halt or pause file transfers!
    =)
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Feb 22, 2006