Wireless USB Adapters: A Probable List Of Supported Brands

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?R2FsZW4=?=, Sep 27, 2005.

  1. I just installed a Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter (model WUSB54G) in my Win
    x64 box, and it installed right from the git go. I just connected Linksys,
    booted Win x64, and directed the driver installer to the directory where I
    had extracted the Ralink drivers. The thing picked up my access point right
    away.

    This is version 4 of the Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter. I have had version
    1 for a long time before my Win x64 install, and it does not work under Win
    x64.

    There is no way for one to tell from the box which version of Linksys
    Wireless -G USB adapter that is inside. I bought my Wireless-G from Buy.com,
    so I guess they don't have earlier versions.

    Note that, in the .inf file that comes with the Ralink drivers, there is a
    list of other brands of wireless USB adapters that uses the Ralink chipset
    and probably works in Win x64.

    I say "probably works" because I really don't know.

    The string of letters and numbers, like "VID_148F&PID_9020", are the numbers
    you will find under the Details tab of the Properties of a device in the
    Windows Device Manager. The VID for my Linksys that shows up in Device
    Manager is the exact same one as the very last one on this page.

    I do not know if any brand of wireless USB adapter listed below, other than
    the Linksys models, can be found or purchased in the US or elsewhere.

    As a general proposition, unproven by me, if the manufacturer or brand
    listed below has a wireless USB adapter (a 802.11g unit), it probably has a
    Ralink chipset and, accordingly, will work in Win x64 using Ralink's 64bit
    drivers.

    Amigo_1 USB\VID_148F&PID_9020

    Amigo_2 USB\VID_0EB0&PID_9020

    Amigo_3 USB\VID_0EB0&PID_9021

    MSI:

    m2500usb_6861 m2500usb_6861 USB\VID_0DB0&PID_6861

    m2500usb_6865 m2500usb_6865 USB\VID_0DB0&PID_6865

    m2500usb_6869 m2500usb_6869 USB\VID_0DB0&PID_6869

    SMC USB\VID_0707&PID_EE13

    ASUS:

    ASUS USB\VID_0B05&PID_1706
    ASUSGEN USB\VID_0B05&PID_1707

    ZINWELL USB\VID_5A57&PID_0260

    VTech USB\VID_0F88&PID_3012

    SURECOM USB\VID_0769&PID_11F3

    Gigabyte USB\VID_1044&PID_8007

    Siemens USB\VID_0681&PID_3C06

    BUFFALO:

    BUFFALO_5E USB\VID_0411&PID_005E

    BUFFALO_66 USB\VID_0411&PID_0066

    BUFFALO_67 USB\VID_0411&PID_0067

    Sagem USB\VID_079B&PID_004B

    Linksys

    WUSB54GPv4 USB\VID_13b1&PID_0011

    WUSB54Gv4 USB\VID_13b1&PID_000d

    =?Utf-8?B?R2FsZW4=?=, Sep 27, 2005

  2. Thanks for that report. Ralink has been good about x64 drivers. I, for one,
    very much appreciate it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 28, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?R2FsZW4=?=

    Mirko Guest

    I know this is OT here, but I am always getting a bit confused when I read
    the term "Wireless USB adapter" somewhere.

    I figured that the term is usually being used to refer to "USB-connected
    Wireless LAN" adapters.

    But shouldn't a "Wireless USB adapter" really be something like a hardware
    device that plugs into your computer and provides you with connectivity to
    devices (future printers, scanners, webcams, mouses, etc.) that follow the
    "Wireless USB" (WUSB) standard? http://www.usb.org/developers/wusb/
    (I believe there's no such hardware on the market yet, though)

    I hope the industry will find ways to clearly distinguish bewteen the two,
    to prevent users from accidentally buying the latter hardware when they
    actually wanted to buy one of the former mentioned (or vice versa), since
    probably not every computer user knows what things like "802.11g" mean.

    (just some thoughts)

    "Galen" <>
    :...

    Mirko, Sep 28, 2005