Wireless Troubleshooting (HELP!)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?ZGRhbWljbw==?=, Aug 18, 2007.

  1. Greetings,

    Does anyone know the best way to track what is causing a wireless device to
    drop from SSID or go to the Limited or no connectivity state? We have a few
    different types of devices, Wyse thin client with Cisco a,b,g cards, and
    Lenovo laptops that use the Intel pro wireless. We are seeing that they will
    have 100% Signal Strength, Excellent Signal Quality and running at 54.0 Mbps
    but they disconnect and then get the 169.254.x.x address. We either have to
    repair the connection or restart. We have the latest drivers from Lenovo and
    all the latest Microsoft patches. I read that we can enable logging within
    Windows Xp but the log looks a little confusing. Any ideas how to narrow down
    if it's the client or if it's something with the access point and beyond? I’m
    responsible for the desktop side and the network group keeps telling us it’s
    the client and we need to figure out what to do next. We also have the
    settings on the client set for no power management and we have tried setting
    the roaming aggressiveness to high.

    Wireless Properties:
    Network Authentication - WPA
    Data encryption - AES
    EAP type - Protected EAP (PEAP)
    Validate sever certificate
    Enable fast connect
    Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
    =?Utf-8?B?ZGRhbWljbw==?=, Aug 18, 2007

  2. To troubleshoot limited or no connectivity issue, try these:

    1. Obtain and install the most recent version of the wireless network adapter driver and/or wireless router firmware..

    2. Re-configure NIC speed.

    3. Install Microsoft wireless update

    4. check the wireless security settings or windows security software settings.

    These links may help too.

    Microsoft update

    Troubleshooting limited or no connectivity

    "This connection has limited or no connectivity. " ... check this page, Sent packets only on a wireless computer and Limited or no connection ...
    www.chicagotech.net/troubleshooting/noconnectivity.htm

    NIC

    Limited connectivity with ...

    Solved: Limited connectivity with Vista notebook ... A135-S4427 Satellite notebook that was just released with Vista Home Premium, ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=246

    Security

    Limited or no connectivity because ...

    Emptied my temporary folder. Purged my recycle bin and restarted. Upon restart my wireless connection said limited or no connectivity to the internet. ...
    www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=1644&sid=042a9d3be7db290781b4cda3f33cccd9

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Aug 18, 2007

  3. Hi Robert.

    1. I just wanted to go over the steps you suggest. We do have the latest
    driver for the Wireless adaptor but we use Nortel Access points at the place
    I work, so I can do nothing to them. It's hard becasue we tweak the clients
    over and over and the people that handle the AP's keep saying it's client
    issues.

    2. Im not sure what you mean by nic speed. We have adjusted the roaming
    aggressivness and changed the power managment so that the nic is always on
    and running at full power. Any other suggestion would be great in this area.

    3. As far as the Wireless update, we have XP SP2 loaded and the WPA2 update
    installed. The image has all the latest patches from Microsoft as well. Am I
    missing anything if I have SP2 and the WPA2 patch loaded?

    4. The wireless security settings I'm not sure where to chesk that. Can you
    help me out in this area at all as far as checking this? I only have access
    to client side settings and security.

    Thanks for the links...I will go through those now and see if anything helps.

    Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Dave

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGRhbWljbw==?=, Aug 18, 2007