Wireless Transfer Rate

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Harvey Gratt, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Minmal response on other newsgroups so I'll try here!

    I have a wireless G router with an XP machine wired to the router and a
    laptop (win98se) with a wireless pc card. I have 128bit WEP enabled and
    am using G mode only. The laptop is about 10 feet from the router and
    the pc card reports excellent signal strenght and the highest nominal
    transfer rate (54mbits/sec). Based on published labtests, I only expect
    about 40 to 50% of this at best.

    I noticed the following using NETPERSEC to monitor the transfer speed
    (consistent with a stopwatch).

    (All transfers are thru Windows Explorer, typically from the win98se
    machine to the xp machine).

    1. If I transfer a large set of text files in a folder, I average only
    about .5-.75 Mbytes/sec.

    2. If I transfer a large binary file (compressed by winzip), I average
    close to 2.2 MBytes/sec. - which is sort of what I expect.

    What is the reason for the lower speeds on the text file transfer?

    Thanks,
    Harvey
    Harvey Gratt, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Harvey Gratt

    M Mullen Guest

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:13:54 -0600, Harvey Gratt <> wrote:
    (e-mail sent if a reply)

    |> Minmal response on other newsgroups so I'll try here!
    |>

    |> I have a wireless G router with an XP machine wired to the router and a
    |> laptop (win98se) with a wireless pc card. I have 128bit WEP enabled and
    |> am using G mode only. The laptop is about 10 feet from the router and
    |> the pc card reports excellent signal strenght and the highest nominal
    |> transfer rate (54mbits/sec). Based on published labtests, I only expect
    |> about 40 to 50% of this at best.
    |>
    |> I noticed the following using NETPERSEC to monitor the transfer speed
    |> (consistent with a stopwatch).
    |>
    |> (All transfers are thru Windows Explorer, typically from the win98se
    |> machine to the xp machine).
    |>
    |> 1. If I transfer a large set of text files in a folder, I average only
    |> about .5-.75 Mbytes/sec.
    |>
    |> 2. If I transfer a large binary file (compressed by winzip), I average
    |> close to 2.2 MBytes/sec. - which is sort of what I expect.
    |>
    |> What is the reason for the lower speeds on the text file transfer?

    Do you have compression on? you might try turning it off.
    or visa versa.Text should fly through a transfer (straight text)
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    M Mullen, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    M Mullen wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:13:54 -0600, Harvey Gratt <> wrote:
    > (e-mail sent if a reply)
    >
    > |> Minmal response on other newsgroups so I'll try here!
    > |>

    > |> I have a wireless G router with an XP machine wired to the router and a
    > |> laptop (win98se) with a wireless pc card. I have 128bit WEP enabled and
    > |> am using G mode only. The laptop is about 10 feet from the router and
    > |> the pc card reports excellent signal strenght and the highest nominal
    > |> transfer rate (54mbits/sec). Based on published labtests, I only expect
    > |> about 40 to 50% of this at best.
    > |>
    > |> I noticed the following using NETPERSEC to monitor the transfer speed
    > |> (consistent with a stopwatch).
    > |>
    > |> (All transfers are thru Windows Explorer, typically from the win98se
    > |> machine to the xp machine).
    > |>
    > |> 1. If I transfer a large set of text files in a folder, I average only
    > |> about .5-.75 Mbytes/sec.
    > |>
    > |> 2. If I transfer a large binary file (compressed by winzip), I average
    > |> close to 2.2 MBytes/sec. - which is sort of what I expect.
    > |>
    > |> What is the reason for the lower speeds on the text file transfer?
    >
    > Do you have compression on? you might try turning it off.
    > or visa versa.Text should fly through a transfer (straight text)

    No compression. There are over 1100 text files in the "text file"
    folder. I guess what I'm seeing is due to windows explorer overhead for
    1100 files as opposed to one larger zipped (compressed file).

    Harvey
    Harvey Gratt, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Harvey Gratt

    Zknb Guest

    Your wireless setup has nothing to do with it.

    One big file always transfers faster than a bunch of little files even
    on a wired network.

    Must have something to do with opening and closing all the little
    files takes longer than opening one big file and closing it once.

    Zknb, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Harvey Gratt

    IC Guest

    Zknb wrote:
    > Your wireless setup has nothing to do with it.
    >
    > One big file always transfers faster than a bunch of little files even
    > on a wired network.
    >
    > Must have something to do with opening and closing all the little
    > files takes longer than opening one big file and closing it once.

    Correct. It's called overhead. There are more headers, more checks for
    CRC, so it takes longer.

    IC, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Thanks guys. That seems to be the consensus. I was just surprised at how
    much overhead was involved. FWIW, the "text folder" contained over 1100
    text files.

    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Dec 10, 2003
  7. Harvey Gratt

    bjsol Guest

    Overhead and overhead... The overhead is only partly due to communication.
    Files are written sequencly to the disk one by one and that takes time as
    well.

    Regards

    bjsol

    På Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:45:36 -0600, skrev Harvey Gratt

    bjsol, Dec 11, 2003