    --
    Thank you,
    Angie

    =?Utf-8?B?QW5naWU=?=, Jul 24, 2006

  2. "Angie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been using wireless internet pretty much since I bought my laptop a
    > year
    > ago. All of a sudden yesterday my wireless isn't working. When I go to the
    > list of available networks it says to make sure my wireless switch on the
    > computer is on. How do I know how to turn it on? And how did it turn off
    > without my doing so?
    >
    > I have a Dell Inspiron 600m if that helps.
    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Angie

    While watching the tray where the time resides, hold down the blue FUNCTION
    key and tap (only a tap like a drum of a finger on the desk) the F2 key at
    the top of the keyboard. The computer, if working properly, will either
    signal to you, down near the time, that the wi-fi signal is ON or OFF.
    Holding the Function down and tapping the F2 key is a toggle. Hit it once
    and it is on, hit it again and it is off. So, be sure to be looking near the
    time. If it comes on, problem solved.

    Another thing you can check - hold down the Windows key and tap the
    Pause/break key. System Properties will come up. Now go to Hardware tab and
    click on the Device Manager button. When that window comes up, look at the
    "Network Adapters" section. If there is a yellow exclamation mark, a yellow
    question mark or a red "X" in there next to the wi-fi NIC (Network Interface
    Card), then you have a problem. A simple solution to POSSIBLY fix this
    problem is to run the Restore function by going to Start button, All
    Programs, Accessories then System Tools and clicking on System Restore. Now
    choose to restore the computer to an earlier date. When the calendar comes
    up, choose a date before all this started and OK it. The computer will now
    reboot and take a much longer time to come back. When it comes back, it
    should be OK. If it isn't, you have a hardware problem and need to take it
    to a Dell authorised place to fix.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 24, 2006

  3. right click on wireless icon in tray. Under windows firewall settings->
    advanced, uncheck the wireless network connection.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGlsZXNo?=, Aug 3, 2006
  4. That wont help actually. I guess it is possible that a windows firewall can
    be stuffed somehow and block wireless but otherwise, at least under SP2, it
    doesn't.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Aug 3, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QW5naWU=?=

    BuddhaDimple

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I have the same problem with my laptop. I have a Gateway MX3558; it could possibly be because it doesn't have a strong signal or something, or maybe there just aren't any networks around... but that's improbable since my friends with laptops can get signals in areas that I can't (in fact, I've never been able to). It does say to make sure my wireless switch is turned on, and after looking all over my physical computer for this "switch", I realized it must be something internally that I'm not aware of. I tried pressing Function F2, but the computer gave me no signal that it even recognized that I was pressing it.

    Can anyone help??

    BuddhaDimple, Aug 3, 2006
  6. Hi,

    Is there a similar thing to do on a desktop computer which suddenly
    can't see a wireless network and advices to "make sure the wireless
    switch on the computer is on"???? The desktop keyboard doesn't
    have a blue FUNCTION key as described for the laptop.
    --
    Doug Botkin

    =?Utf-8?B?RG91Zw==?=, Sep 18, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?QW5naWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    Doug wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a similar thing to do on a desktop computer which suddenly
    > can't see a wireless network and advices to "make sure the wireless
    > switch on the computer is on"???? The desktop keyboard doesn't
    > have a blue FUNCTION key as described for the laptop.

    Try looking at the "properties" of the driver for the wireless adapter
    in Device Manager.

    Lem, Sep 19, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?QW5naWU=?=

    urdrwho

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Must be the time of year because I have the same darn problem. I can't get a connection nor can I get anything showing in the wireless networks connection box.

    I did recently do a MS update on their auto update site. Maybe I'll try to remove it and see. I'm not sure when this started because I haven't been on WiFi for a month.

    It only came to light when I tried to access wifi on my new DSL router's wifi.

    urdrwho, Oct 5, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QW5naWU=?=

    sweetteept

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I have a Toshiba laptop, and encountered the same issue. Found the "switch". It is on the front edge (needed a flashlight), to the right. Switch it and a gold light came on, and I was connected.

    sweetteept

    sweetteept, Mar 22, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?QW5naWU=?=

    knownotmuch

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Dell Latitude D630

    On the left side of the laptop (Dell Latitude D630) - a real on/off switch for wireless connection. It had been switched off, I turned it back on and found all my wireless networks again.

    knownotmuch, Mar 3, 2009
  11. =?Utf-8?B?QW5naWU=?=

    kchilders

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Harvester, Missouri, USA
    Wireless Switchs

    The switches vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model.
    Google is your friend here and you can also try beeping computer bleepingcomputer.com), I post a list there for wireless switches and update it as time and information are available. :drky2:

    kchilders, Dec 28, 2009