"Wireless switch not on"?? Prev good network, now gone.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Doc, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. Doc

    Doc Guest

    I have a desktop, ~4 yr old very reliable Gateway. For at least two years,
    we've been running a wireless network (I use a microsoft MN-510 wireless
    adapter), without any issues of note until recently.
    Now, the wireless never connects. I've repaired the connection, restored to
    previous "good" restore point (or at least attempted, most tries I'm told it
    will not work, despite there being what I thought was a valid restore point.)
    My Wireless Zero Configuration is still loaded.
    I've unplugged the wireless adapter and tried other USB ports on my computer
    I've verified the wireless network is working normally using a laptop
    previously properly configured without any changes whatsoever.
    But now, with this connection, I'm told there are "no wireless networks in
    range" although the above-mentioned laptop can find at least four, including
    my neighbors'. and "make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on".
    Which is cryptic as hell, as there is no "switch" on this desktop.
    Hardware manager reports wireless adapter is working normally.
    It might also be of note, launching command prompt, ipconfig command returns
    only "Windows IP Configuration", as does ipconfig /renew, and ipconfig /all.

    PLEASE assist in any way you can. I can't help but think this is a fairly
    simple fix, but it's apparently beyond me.
    I've reached the end of my limited technical knowledge.

    Doc, Apr 15, 2008

  2. Doc

    smlunatick Guest

    Re: "Wireless switch not on"?? Prev good network, now gone.

    On Apr 14, 10:21 pm, Doc <> wrote:
    > I have a desktop, ~4 yr old very reliable Gateway.  For at least two years,
    > we've been running a wireless network (I use a microsoft MN-510 wireless
    > adapter), without any issues of note until recently.
    > Now, the wireless never connects.  I've repaired the connection, restored to
    > previous "good" restore point (or at least attempted, most tries I'm told it
    > will not work, despite there being what I thought was a valid restore point.)
    > My Wireless Zero Configuration is still loaded.
    > I've unplugged the wireless adapter and tried other USB ports on my computer
    > I've verified the wireless network is working normally using a laptop
    > previously properly configured without any changes whatsoever.
    > But now, with this connection, I'm told there are "no wireless networks in
    > range" although the above-mentioned laptop can find at least four, including
    > my neighbors'.  and "make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on".
    > Which is cryptic as hell, as there is no "switch" on this desktop.
    > Hardware manager reports wireless adapter is working normally.
    > It might also be of note, launching command prompt, ipconfig command returns
    > only "Windows IP Configuration", as does ipconfig /renew,  and ipconfig /all.
    >
    > PLEASE assist in any way you can.  I can't help but think this is a fairly
    > simple fix, but it's apparently beyond me.
    > I've reached the end of my limited technical knowledge.

    Several "laptops" come with a physical switch to your the "wireless"
    network adapter on / off so that is why the "switch" suggestion was
    given.

    Have you tried un-installing the wireless card drivers and re-
    installing them?

    Do you have other USB devices on this PC? Do they work? Can you move
    one to this USB port??

    I have encountered this before but it was my incompatible USB ports.
    USB ports / chips can "blow" so you need to know if they still work.

    smlunatick, Apr 15, 2008