Wireless suddenly extrememly slow except right by router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by scarlettal@gmail.com, Jun 4, 2007.

  1. Guest

    We have a Linksys wireless router in the office and a couple of
    wireless laptops and an Xbox using the wireless connection. These
    have all always connected extremely fast two or three rooms away, or
    even outside, until a couple of weeks ago when the modem (DSL) got
    reset when a storm came through. We set everything back up on the
    modem and the router, and could connect from two rooms away, but it
    was extremely slow. If both wireless laptops were connected, you
    couldn't get to anything.

    We've replaced the router with another Linksys and have tried a DLink,
    and have switched to cable modem. I've replaced the wireless card in
    the laptop running Win2k. We've changed the encryption around
    different ways, and even tried running with no security...all with the
    same results. If we are right by the router, we get 100% strength and
    can surf super fast...but it drops to 30% or less if we move into
    another room. The Xbox can not even see the wireless network any
    longer.

    Any ideas on what would be causing this suddenly?
    , Jun 4, 2007

  2. Hi
    Could be that as a coincidence at the same time some strong environmental
    noise was introduced in the area.
    Try to change the Channels of communication in the Router and choose the one
    that provides the best Speed.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 4, 2007

  3. Guest

    OK, we figured it out. The one thing we hadn't replaced/eliminated
    was the Xbox wireless network adapter. We took that out and
    everything is great!

    On Jun 3, 7:10 pm, wrote:
    > We have a Linksyswirelessrouter in the office and a couple ofwirelesslaptops and an Xbox using thewirelessconnection. These
    > have all always connected extremely fast two or three rooms away, or
    > even outside, until a couple of weeks ago when the modem (DSL) got
    > reset when a storm came through. We set everything back up on the
    > modem and the router, and could connect from two rooms away, but it
    > was extremelyslow. If bothwirelesslaptops were connected, you
    > couldn't get to anything.
    >
    > We've replaced the router with another Linksys and have tried a DLink,
    > and have switched to cable modem. I've replaced thewirelesscard in
    > the laptop running Win2k. We've changed the encryption around
    > different ways, and even tried running with no security...all with the
    > same results. If we are right by the router, we get 100% strength and
    > can surf super fast...but it drops to 30% or less if we move into
    > another room. The Xbox can not even see thewirelessnetwork any
    > longer.
    >
    > Any ideas on what would be causing thissuddenly?
    , Jun 5, 2007