    can provide more info if needed.

    Thanks,
    Wyman

    Wyman, May 2, 2009

  2. Wyman

    GTS Guest

    It's a router issue. The number you're looking at shows the speed of the PC
    / Router connection. If you haven't already done so, I suggest powering the
    router off for a minute or two and then back on. Interference is another
    possible cause particularly from 2Ghz wireless phones, a microwave oven, or
    another nearby wireless router or access point on the same channel.
    Changing the channel on your might help (1,6, or 11 are the discreet
    possibilities). There could also be an issue at the computer, but I would
    start with these.

    GTS, May 2, 2009

  3. Hi
    To rule out Modem you can connect the computer directly to he Modem with a
    wire.
    Similarly you can try the Router with a wire.
    Otherwise it might be a newly generated electronic environmental noise.
    Try to change the transmission channel in the router, may be you would get a
    better result with another channel (1 or 11 are usually the best).
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], May 3, 2009
  4. Wyman

    Wyman Guest

    Thanks GTS and Jack for your responses. My router was already set to
    channel 11 but I switched it to channel 6 so I'll see if this helps. This
    drop in speed usually happens at night but for some reason yesterday it
    happened during the day.

    Wyman

    Wyman, May 4, 2009
  5. "Wyman" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks GTS and Jack for your responses. My router was already set to
    > channel 11 but I switched it to channel 6 so I'll see if this helps. This
    > drop in speed usually happens at night but for some reason yesterday it
    > happened during the day.

    Why does it always have to be the Router?

    The time I had this happen it was the Wireless nic in the PC.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, May 4, 2009
  6. Wyman

    GTS Guest

    You're welcome.

    GTS, May 4, 2009
  7. Hi
    Load Netstumbler and check the Wireless environment.
    The timing issue points toward environmental noise.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], May 4, 2009
  8. "Wyman" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Jack,
    >
    > I don't understand Netstumbler but I've attached a couple of pics and
    > maybe you can explain them to me. One thing I don't understand is why it
    > has my encryption as WEP when it's setup as WPA2.

    NetStumbler displays *all* encryption forms as WEP no matter what they are
    really using.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, May 5, 2009
  9. Wyman

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Ignore the WEP/WPA (Phillip is right).
    In Netstumbler choose the SSID Analysis, it shows you all the WIFI sources
    in the area that can be received by your wireless card, see if there are
    other Wireless sources that transmit strong signal, and choose in you Router
    a Channel that it is away from the others.
    Do it when the actual slowdown occurs.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, May 5, 2009
  10. Wyman

    Edify Guest

    On May 2, 2:34 pm, "Wyman" <> wrote:
    > For the past couple weeks, I've noticed that my wireless speed has been
    > intermittently dropping from 54.0 mbps to 1.0 mbps.  Really haven't bothered
    > me until now since I've got a lot to do today.  I'm using WinXP Home and I
    > have a Linksys WRT54G router.  Is this a router or cable modem problem?  I
    > can provide more info if needed.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wyman

    any chance you have someone living close by stealing bandwidth?

    Edify, May 6, 2009
  11. Wyman

    Wyman Guest

    It could be but I don't know how. My SSID isn't broadcasted and I have a
    strong security key.

    Wyman, May 6, 2009
  12. Wyman

    Wyman Guest

    Ok Jack, I'm not sure how to read this netstumbler analysis. I have done a
    screen shot of all the wifi signals it picked up. Can you please take a
    look at it and let me know if channel 6 is ok for me? Thanks. Here's the
    link: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/smileychgo/netstumbler.jpg

    Thanks,
    Wyman

    Wyman, May 6, 2009
  13. It's not likely to be related to somebody stealing bandwidth and it's
    not a cable modem problem. Have you tried resetting your WRT54G? Do
    you have the most recent firmware on the WRT54G?

    --
    -Ben-
    Ben M. Schorr, MVP

    Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote), May 6, 2009
  14. Wyman

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    Ch 9 looks the cleanest.
    However I notice that you mentioned that your SSID is Off.
    Since you use a strong security key SSID Off does Not do any thing for you
    and it might destabilize your Wireless.
    Switch it On.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ssid
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, May 6, 2009
  15. Wyman

    Wyman Guest

    Hi Ben - yes the router firmware is up to date. I've reset it several times
    before. I'm going to try Jack's suggestion and set the channel to 9.
    Thanks for replying.

    Wyman

    Wyman, May 7, 2009