wireless speed

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Linea Recta, Apr 1, 2008.

  1. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    I installed a wireless router SITECOM WL-174 (54 Mbps!) which is connected
    by wire to PC (fast ethernet), and wireless to a laptop. Internet access
    from all computers works OK.
    Today I made connections for transfer to & from the computers directly
    (shared folders). This also seems to work, but I was disappointed about the
    speed. A 1 GB test file was transferred with a speed of about 2 Mbps. What
    can be done to increase speed?

    PC has Windows2000SP4
    Laptop has Vista
    Signal strength = max.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Apr 1, 2008

  2. Hi
    It is probably the speed that your Wireless is functionally providing.
    802.11g when the Wireless client is few feet away from the source and there
    is No electrical interferences should provide 14 to 20 Mb/sec.
    Try to change the Wireless channel and optimize both computers TCP/IP stack.
    Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    Otherwise, keep a spare network cable plug the laptop to the Router and use
    it when large file transfer are needed.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 1, 2008

  3. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <> schreef in bericht
    > Hi
    > It is probably the speed that your Wireless is functionally providing.
    > 802.11g when the Wireless client is few feet away from the source and

    there
    > is No electrical interferences should provide 14 to 20 Mb/sec.

    Yes, that's what I thought, so I'm not getting anywhere near those values.
    :-(
    At the time of testing the wireless distance is about 1.5 meters and signal
    strength is max.

    > Try to change the Wireless channel and optimize both computers TCP/IP

    stack.
    > Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    > Otherwise, keep a spare network cable plug the laptop to the Router and

    use
    > it when large file transfer are needed.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    The internet speed is OK: 321.8 KByte/sec down and 31.3 KByte/sec up. These
    values are the same wireless and wired. They are restricted maxima by my
    provider.

    But I had a problem with the (wireless) inter-computer speed... No solution
    to that?

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Apr 1, 2008
  4. Hi
    Optimizing the TCP/IP according to the Internet might increase the local
    transfer too since it probably would increase the RCwin.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 1, 2008
  5. Linea Recta

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Linea Recta" <> wrote in message
    > I installed a wireless router SITECOM WL-174 (54 Mbps!) which is connected
    > by wire to PC (fast ethernet), and wireless to a laptop. Internet access
    > from all computers works OK.
    > Today I made connections for transfer to & from the computers directly
    > (shared folders). This also seems to work, but I was disappointed about
    > the
    > speed. A 1 GB test file was transferred with a speed of about 2 Mbps. What
    > can be done to increase speed?
    >
    > PC has Windows2000SP4
    > Laptop has Vista
    > Signal strength = max.

    In addition to Jack's advice, try also smaller files - less than 200 MB.
    Both Vista and XP have known performance issues
    with copying large files (MS claims that SP1 fixed this... )

    By the way, most of XP registry tweaks for tcpip behavior won't work on
    Vista.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Apr 2, 2008
  6. Linea Recta

    > Hi
    > Optimizing the TCP/IP according to the Internet might increase the local
    > transfer too since it probably would increase the RCwin.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    So this is actually "normal"??? Initially I hoped I'd just done something
    wrong...
    Thanks for the link, I'll get into the program asap.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk