    I should disable Wireless Zero Configuration in services and use the 3COM
    software that came with the card or use both the Windows XP SP-2 wireless
    and 3COM wireless software at once.

    Clayton, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Clayton

    TW Guest

    You are really only using one or the other. If you enable the "use windows
    to configure my wireless network settings" checkbox, then you are using the
    WZC service. If you uncheck this box you are using the software that came
    with your card. Try each one and note any performance differences, then use
    the best choice. Some cards work better using their own software and some
    work better using the WZC service.

    TW, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Clayton

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    If the manufacturer clearly states that the hardware is compatible with
    WinXP WZC you might as well go with WCZ (AS an Example: Buffalo Tech. States
    so.)

    However some of the Wireless Stuff is sloppy and the manufacturer might not
    bother to make sure that their Hardware/Software is compatible with WCZ.

    So you try WCZ and if it is not working you do not know why, you call the
    manufacturer support and they would tell you that they support their stuff
    and not Windows OS. You call Microsoft and would try to help but you can not
    hold them account to every manufacturer follies.

    Before you know it you would feel like you are in Limbo.

    My policy in lack of clear statement is to start with the manufacturer stuff
    and make sure that the Hardware is in working condition. If it does not work
    the manufacturer have to make it work, or RMA the hardware since you are
    using their Hardware/Software solely. Once it is working you can try to
    switch to WCZ, and as said above choose what seems to work best for you.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 20, 2004
  4. I use a 3 com ADSL router and PC cards with the 3 com software, it works
    fine. Haven't tried the WINXP software but 'why fix it if it ain't broke?'
    Any differences I think would be imperceptible for practical purposes.

    Edward W. Thompson, Oct 20, 2004
  5. One thing I would add - always update to the latest firmware and drivers
    before deciding if there is a problem.

    A lot drivers that had initially buggy releases have been updated and the
    newer ones typically work better.

    --
    Standard Disclaimers -
    and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

    Carl DaVault [MSFT], Oct 21, 2004
  6. Clayton

    Clayton Guest

    The reason I ask is that I had a Linksys WAG54G router and WPC54G PCMCIA and
    with the wireless card in the laptop it would disconnect several times a day
    and getting it reconnected was a mission and ending sometimes with the
    router being powered off then on, so I gave up with Linksys and brought the
    3Com 11g firewall router and the wireless card went all day without
    disconnection until my phone rang and it would disconnect then it starts
    searching and connecting again without too much fuss, so I have improved
    somewhat with the new hardware, strange it didn't do this with the Linksys
    but I guess it's take the good with the bad, since it only happens with 50%
    of incoming calls with the cordless phone.

    Clayton, Oct 21, 2004
  7. Clayton

    TW Guest

    I use ALL Dlink cards and wireless router, and my phone doesn't effect my
    network at all. In fact I get the reverse. I hear static on my cordless
    phone from the router. The closer the phone is to the router, the louder the
    static. Sometimes the static is so strong, I have to unplug the router to
    use the phone.

    TW, Oct 22, 2004
  8. Clayton

    Clayton Guest

    Only if we can find the perfect wireless router, the world would be a better
    place

    Clayton, Oct 22, 2004