    the Intel A/B/G. Is this typical of wireless? I'm getting about 6mb on the
    hardwired desktop and about 3mb on the wireless laptop using speakeasy speed
    test from the same location.

    Greg, Nov 22, 2006

  2. "Greg" <> posted this esurient inquiry in

    > I have cable internet at home. The cable modem is running into my Dlink
    > 524G wireless router. I'm getting almost twice the download speed on the
    > desktop that is plugged into the router as opposed to the speed I am
    > getting downloading to my laptop via the wireless. The laptop is a dell
    > 1705 with the Intel A/B/G. Is this typical of wireless? I'm getting
    > about 6mb on the hardwired desktop and about 3mb on the wireless laptop
    > using speakeasy speed test from the same location.

    Speakeasy gives ya the up and down values - but I guess you just didn't
    want to brag... That's very nice of you. Oh you did tell us! WOW, both are
    very *fast*! Run each of their target locations and you get some differing
    values, and if you're running a software firewall, if you'll shut that
    down, you'll perhaps get faster values as well.

    Yes! It's typical of wireless to be slower. Part of that is rooted in RTF
    issues, and the other part is rooted in your encryption (WEP) security if
    you're using that - I should say if you're *wisely* using that. It's worth
    it. Sometimes, even as you go out by the pool, over by the guest house, it
    will get slower yet because of the radio interference. Someone told me
    cigar smoke will screw it up too. I guess she wasn't smoking Cohibas.

    Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday season.

    --

    If trees could scream,
    would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 22, 2006

  3. Greg

    Plato Guest

    Greg wrote:

    > I have cable internet at home. The cable modem is running into my Dlink 524G
    > wireless router. I'm getting almost twice the download speed on the desktop
    > that is plugged into the router as opposed to the speed I am getting
    > downloading to my laptop via the wireless. The laptop is a dell 1705 with
    > the Intel A/B/G. Is this typical of wireless? I'm getting about 6mb on the
    > hardwired desktop and about 3mb on the wireless laptop using speakeasy speed
    > test from the same location.

    My neighbor has wireless,but all the teens in their homes use it from
    their house. Protect your self

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 23, 2006