    wireless signal around the building using wireless network. Anyone know what
    is wrong?

    Wilson
    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsc29u?=, Oct 2, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsc29u?=

    Neo Anderson Guest

    My setup is a DI-614+ connected to my cable modem and it;s about 35 feet
    away from my other computer that has a usb DWL-G120.

    The signal goes through two hall walls at very acute angles. My signal
    strength stays right at 11 Mbps (Very Strong) most of the time.

    Are all the other signals you mention strong? I'm not too knowledgeable on
    RF stuff but I know what interference can do.

    Neo Anderson, Oct 2, 2004

  3. In news:,
    Wilson <> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
    > I am using a D-Link DI-614+ router and a DWL-122 usb wireless
    > adaptor. I am living in an apartment, and the adaptor is about 20 ft
    > away with a dry wall. The signal strength goes up and down from 11
    > mps to 5.5 to 2, and then up again, and it goes in a circle. I
    > wounder if it is something wrong with my hardware or it is too far
    > away to the router. There are about 5 other wireless signal around
    > the building using wireless network. Anyone know what is wrong?
    >
    > Wilson

    Try changing the channel your wifi is on so that its oon a different
    channel to the other networks

    --
    Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

    http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
    Steve Parry [MVP], Oct 4, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsc29u?=

    silkphoenix Guest

    My signal strengh signal varies quite often, usually between 50-65% and
    my tx rate is always at 11mbps. I called D-Link help desk and they
    couldn't really help me as usual. Does anyone has any suggestion to
    improve my tx rate and my signal strengh? I have tried many different
    locations for my DWL-G120 adapter and so far it's at about 9 feet from
    the router! which is very very close already. But I still only get
    maximum of 65% and tx rate remains at 11mbps. It supposed to be able to
    get a maximum of 54 mbps! I am using a Gateway Desktop and Windows
    98SE. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you
    silkphoenix, Jan 8, 2005
  5. Silk,
    Are you sure that you sure that you have the card configured to use the "G"
    mode? Most "G" cards/routers can do both B and G (but not at the same
    time). 11MBps is the maximum data rate that B supports.

    When I look at the D-Link page, I see the disclaimer:
    * Maximum wireless signal rate based on IEEE Standard 802.11g
    specifications. Actual data throughput will vary. Network conditions and
    environmental factors lower actual data throughput rate.

    This is definitely very true. However, when you are very close the wireless
    router, you would expect the most ideal conditions, and the most ideal
    throughput. Environmental conditions include interference (portable phones,
    microwave ovens, anything that uses the 2.4 Ghz spectrum). You can try to
    change channels on the Access Point. Test the channels to find which one
    gives the best Rx signal strength. Also make sure that the antenas are
    well-connected and aligned properly (read the manual that came with the
    devices about this topic).

    Now, another good question to ask is, "Do I need this throughput?" I, for
    example, have a low-speed DSL connection to the internet. 11 MBps is way
    faster than that connection, and I don't stream media at home. So, for me,
    11 Mbps is plenty. 2Mbps would be plenty.

    Assuming that you do need this bandwidth, the problem could be in the card
    or in the router. Have you tried connecting to other "G" wireless networks?
    If the equipment does not appear to work, you may have to return it to the
    manufacturer.

    --
    Brian Wehrle

    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Jan 12, 2005