    So I am dwed in the water. Where do I go from here?
    Thanks
    Doug
    =?Utf-8?B?SGF2ZSB0aHJlZSBjb2x1bW5zICBSLFMsVA==?=, Sep 2, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SGF2ZSB0aHJlZSBjb2x1bW5zICBSLFMsVA==?=

    Malke Guest

    Have three columns R,S,T wrote:

    > I am working to setup 3 XP Pro computers into a wireless network.
    > The wizrd walks me thru the setup using a USB flash card. Then I am
    > advised to insert the card into my router's usb port. I have a Linksys
    > router w/o a USB port.
    >
    > So I am dwed in the water. Where do I go from here?
    > Thanks
    > Doug

    You aren't supposed to put anything into the router. You are supposed to
    put the USB card into your other *computers* to copy over the wireless
    settings to them. Routers are usually configured from a web browser
    interface by putting the router address in the browser's address bar.

    Normal sequence of events:

    1. Set up router by putting router CD into a computer's drive. This
    computer should be attached to the router with an ethernet cable, even
    if you plan to use that computer wirelessly later.

    2. After you have installed the router, set its wireless security by
    entering the router address in a browser. Change the SSID to something
    unique to you and set up the encryption - WPA is best but all hardware
    must support it.

    3. Now all machines that connect wirelessly will see the router. When
    you want to connect, enter the encryption key and there you go.

    4. As for setting up the local area network for sharing between the
    computers, if you are using the Network Setup Wizard you would then use
    your USB card (or thumbdrive) on all the other computers. You don't
    have to do this, though. You can just run the Network Setup Wizard on
    all the machines, making sure you enable File & Printer Sharing. If you
    have a third-party firewall, make sure you disable the XPSP2 Windows
    Firewall afterwards because the Network Setup Wizard will automatically
    enable it. With a third-party firewall, you will need to configure it
    to allow the lan as trusted.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Sep 2, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SGF2ZSB0aHJlZSBjb2x1bW5zICBSLFMsVA==?=

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Have three columns R,S,T" <> wrote in message
    >I am working to setup 3 XP Pro computers into a wireless network.
    > The wizrd walks me thru the setup using a USB flash card. Then I am advised
    > to insert the card into my router's usb port. I have a Linksys router w/o a
    > USB port.
    >
    > So I am dwed in the water. Where do I go from here?
    > Thanks
    > Doug

    It's very simple :) Ask the wizard to print the
    SSID and crypto key, and enter them into router manually,
    thru it's web interface or utility.
    --PA
    Pavel A., Sep 3, 2005