Wireless setup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tweety, Mar 10, 2009.

  1. tweety

    tweety Guest

    Hi All,

    I have to set up wireless access to a local area network for about 20+
    users.

    Could someone point me in the direction of the sort of hardware i
    would need.

    I was thinking about Cisco AIR-WLC2006-K9 and a couple of Cisco
    Aironet 1100's.

    Do you think this would be a good solution and is the Aironet 1100
    compatible with the Cisco AIR-WLC2006-K9 .

    Apologies if my questions are foolish, any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks guys and girls.

    Andrew

    tweety, Mar 10, 2009

  2. tweety

    Uli Link Guest

    tweety schrieb:
    > I have to set up wireless access to a local area network for about 20+
    > users.

    Any thoughts about user authentication?

    > Could someone point me in the direction of the sort of hardware i
    > would need.
    >
    > I was thinking about Cisco AIR-WLC2006-K9 and a couple of Cisco
    > Aironet 1100's.
    >
    > Do you think this would be a good solution and is the Aironet 1100
    > compatible with the Cisco AIR-WLC2006-K9 .
    >
    > Apologies if my questions are foolish, any help would be appreciated.

    What about using 1121 or 1131 APs without a WLAN controller using the
    IOS version of the APs?
    If your WLAN becomes larger, the IOS APs can be converted to LWAPP.

    If you have to change the WLAN configuration often for many APs you'll
    find pushing the config through a controller a smart solution.
    The WLC is a single point of failure and the configuration is even more
    complex than a single standalone AP.

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, Mar 10, 2009

  3. tweety

    tweety Guest

    On Mar 10, 10:36 am, Uli Link <> wrote:
    > tweety schrieb:
    >
    > > I have to set up wireless access to a local area network for about 20+
    > > users.

    > Any thoughts about user authentication?
    >

    > > Could someone point me in the direction of the sort of hardware i
    > > would need.

    > > I was thinking about Cisco AIR-WLC2006-K9 and a couple of Cisco
    > > Aironet 1100's.

    > > Do you think this would be a good solution and is the Aironet 1100
    > > compatible with the Cisco AIR-WLC2006-K9 .

    > > Apologies if my questions are foolish, any help would be appreciated.

    > What about using 1121 or 1131 APs without a WLAN controller using the
    > IOS version of the APs?
    > If your WLAN becomes larger, the IOS APs can be converted to LWAPP.
    >
    > If you have to change the WLAN configuration often for many APs you'll
    > find pushing the config through a controller a smart solution.
    > The WLC is a single point of failure and the configuration is even more
    > complex than a single standalone AP.
    >
    > --
    > Uli

    Hi Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated, so the hosts connecting
    wirelessly, will their dhcp requests be forwarded across the AP
    towards the doamin controller/dhcp server, the hosts will connecting
    wirelessly will be in the same domain ip subnet as the AP address?

    Thanks for any information and help.

    Andrew

    tweety, Mar 10, 2009
  4. tweety

    Uli Link Guest

    tweety schrieb:

    > Hi Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated, so the hosts connecting
    > wirelessly, will their dhcp requests be forwarded across the AP
    > towards the doamin controller/dhcp server, the hosts will connecting
    > wirelessly will be in the same domain ip subnet as the AP address?

    WLAN APs are usually transparent bridges.
    You map a SSID on the wireless side to a VLAN on the wired side.
    Same for standalone APs compared to LWAP/WLC solution.

    The port configuration of the switchports connecting to the APs differ:
    You may need trunk ports for standalone APs.

    LWAPP APs only need accessports on a VLAN routed to the AP Manager
    logical interface of the WLC. The bridging (layer2!!!) is done on the
    WLC physical management port to the SSID's mapped logical interface VLAN.

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, Mar 10, 2009