    initial set up.? Any expert out there tell me how to get around this or do I
    need connection direct on set up.

    thanks

    807, Nov 13, 2006

  2. 807

    - Bobb - Guest

    With no security ( not recommended) you can turn both on and find each
    other.
    It comes with a Cd - or go here:
    http://www.linksysfix.com/check/HomePage/index.htm?callerID=WS

    You SHOULD turn on security - to keep out pests and for privacy reasons.
    Browse here - it is an often asked question

    - Bobb -, Nov 13, 2006

  3. 807

    807 Guest

    Bobb thanks for the reply but it still does not answer my question, I
    realise once wireless is established I can set up security, my question is
    do I need to hardwire the usb or ethernet cable to set up from scratch
    before literally taking the pc into another room Trying to setup at my sons
    house got into the setup programme of the router and it said unable to find
    signal, obviously as not set up. hence hardwiring in first instance, however
    I feel this must be wrong and would have thought a new setup can take place
    without modem directly wired to pc ?. This ms my question.

    807, Nov 13, 2006
  4. 807

    - Bobb - Guest

    "807" <> wrote in message
    > Bobb thanks for the reply but it still does not answer my question, I
    > realise once wireless is established I can set up security, my
    > question is do I need to hardwire the usb or ethernet cable to set up
    > from scratch before literally taking the pc into another room

    If you're ISP does not care about the new equipment, then the answer is
    no.
    Turn on the router and turn on the Pc and if you are close enough they
    will find each other eventually. That's how free wireless internet
    works at hotels/stores etc. It works like that every day. BUT if you are
    too far away or have a bad fluorescent light nearby or radio station
    next store or anything generating interference then you may have issues.
    I'm sorry but we cannot tell you if it will work at your house until you
    try it. You might have to move around or you might find that you have 3
    neighbors all using the same channel and have to select which to use -
    you won't know until you try.

    If you WANT to use a ... certain frequency ... security ... etc THEN you
    need to plug into port #1 of the ROUTER and go to 192.168.1.1 etc ...
    ( unless they've automated that too)

    from that earlier link:

    "EasyLink Connect is a first-time setup application that automates the
    setup of your Linksys router, including:
    a.. Cabling Instructions
    b.. Internet connection configuration
    c.. Wireless connection and security setup
    d.. Other devices and computers addition
    Click on the arrow at the link to run the program if you DO want to set
    it up.
    Go there and click on the arrow to have it set it up for you.
    Or insert the CD.

    - Bobb -, Nov 13, 2006
  5. 807

    Pen Guest

    807 wrote:
    > Bobb thanks for the reply but it still does not answer my question, I
    > realise once wireless is established I can set up security, my question is
    > do I need to hardwire the usb or ethernet cable to set up from scratch
    > before literally taking the pc into another room Trying to setup at my sons
    > house got into the setup programme of the router and it said unable to find
    > signal, obviously as not set up. hence hardwiring in first instance, however
    > I feel this must be wrong and would have thought a new setup can take place
    > without modem directly wired to pc ?. This ms my question.

    I've never been able to set up a Linksys wireless section unless I'd set
    it up while hard wired. Go to the URL and get the manual and see for
    yourself.

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...roductDownloadSearch&sp_prodsku=1126536698937

    Pen, Nov 13, 2006
  6. "Pen" <> wrote in message
    > 807 wrote:
    >> Bobb thanks for the reply but it still does not answer my question, I
    >> realise once wireless is established I can set up security, my question
    >> is do I need to hardwire the usb or ethernet cable to set up from scratch
    >> before literally taking the pc into another room Trying to setup at my
    >> sons house got into the setup programme of the router and it said unable
    >> to find signal, obviously as not set up. hence hardwiring in first
    >> instance, however I feel this must be wrong and would have thought a new
    >> setup can take place without modem directly wired to pc ?. This ms my
    >> question.

    > I've never been able to set up a Linksys wireless section unless I'd set
    > it up while hard wired. Go to the URL and get the manual and see for
    > yourself.

    Linsky must be different to the one's I've setup. You just follow the
    instructions. Install the software before inserting the wireless adapter
    in the system and configue. Set up and configure the wireless router.
    Switch everthing off and back on again.

    The range of Wi-Fi in a building is determined by the surroundings and will
    generally be between 25 and 50 metres. I set up my laptop in the garden
    with no bother - just a few restarts.

    Boscoe Pertwee, Nov 13, 2006
  7. 807

    807 Guest

    Once my sons was setup it was great, ragne etc, the only problem was the
    requirement to be hard wired to the router in the first place to set up the
    connection.

    807, Nov 13, 2006
  8. It's best to be hardwired first,
    first goto control panel then administrative tools-services- then find
    windows zero configuration, ensure this is enabled.
    close that down and go back to control panel and enter network connections,
    you will see your wireless connections,
    right click on the wireless connections and find your router, click connect
    and enter the wep key it should connect.
    if not enter the router address (192.168.1.1) and disable wireless security
    and then connect as before

    David Harrison, Nov 22, 2006