wireless setup query

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Person, Jul 15, 2008.

  1. Person

    Person Guest

    I have a netgear wireless router (set to open/wep) that has an Ethernet
    connection to one of my laptops (xp). Also connected wirelessly is an
    old laptop (win98) and another laptop (vista). My problem is that when
    I try to connect my laptop that has xp wirelessly no matter what
    configuration I try I can't seem to get it to work. Looked at the
    Network connections page and have got the following setup:

    Network Bridge:
    1394 connection
    enabled, bridged
    1394 net adapter #2

    Local area connection
    Network cable unplugged (taken Ethernet cable out)

    Network bridge (network bridge) 2
    Enabled
    Mac bridge miniport

    Wireless network connection 2
    wireless connection unavailable

    When I click on 'advanced' I can sometimes see my 'ssid' but most of the
    time it has a 'red' bar across it. Occasionally after selecting
    different options it has a 'blue' circle a the top - but still shows up
    as unconnected in the network connections page.
    Not quite sure why I have the 'network bridge' setup as there isn't
    anything like on my 'vista' laptop. - I can view 'shared' files on
    either laptops (perhaps that's the reason?).

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thankyou
    --
    Des
    Person, Jul 15, 2008

  2. Get rid of the bridged connection first. It should not be there. Rightclick
    on one of the bridged connections,...the option to remove it should be on
    the popup menu. Since bridging requires two interfaces it should
    automatically remove from the last one.

    Once that is cleaned up go to the wireless nic and find the option to "View
    available wirless networks". Choose the SSID when it shows up. Enter the
    WEP Key.

    Strongly recommend you move from WEP to WPA (any variant).

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Technet Library
    ISA2004

    Phillip Windell, Jul 15, 2008

  3. Hi
    1394 is Firewire socket. If you do not need it Disable it and it will not
    create a bridge any more.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 16, 2008
  4. Person

    Person Guest

    In message <>, Phillip Windell
    <> writes
    >Get rid of the bridged connection first. It should not be there. Rightclick
    >on one of the bridged connections,...the option to remove it should be on
    >the popup menu. Since bridging requires two interfaces it should
    >automatically remove from the last one.

    Removed
    >Once that is cleaned up go to the wireless nic and find the option to "View
    >available wirless networks". Choose the SSID when it shows up. Enter the
    >WEP Key.

    Still had the problem - 'ssid' was circled in both available & preferred
    but kept connecting to my neighbours router. Then I added my mac
    address for wireless onto my router and now works fine.

    Thanks
    >Strongly recommend you move from WEP to WPA (any variant).

    I've got a couple of pda's (hp4150 & HP4700) that use wm2003/se. Had
    problems connecting the hp4150 to the router when I had it set to wpa.
    That's why I think it's set to wep
    --
    Des
    Person, Jul 16, 2008
  5. Person

    Person Guest

    In message <>, "Jack
    (MVP-Networking)." <> writes
    >Hi
    >1394 is Firewire socket. If you do not need it Disable it and it will
    >not create a bridge any more.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Thanks............Now working OK

    --
    Des
    Person, Jul 16, 2008
  6. "Person" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>, "Jack
    > (MVP-Networking)." <> writes
    >>Hi
    >>1394 is Firewire socket. If you do not need it Disable it and it will not
    >>create a bridge any more.
    >>Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > Thanks............Now working OK

    You told me you removed the bridging and still had the problem. So what's
    the story?
    Disabling the 1394 Connection will prevent it from bridging but it should
    not need disabled for the wireless to work,..just don't have it bridged
    that's all. The laptop I am typing this from is using Wireless (with
    WPA),...has the 1394 Connection enabled, but not bridged,..everything is
    fine.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Technet Library
    ISA2004
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc302436(TechNet.10).aspx
    ISA2006
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb898433(TechNet.10).aspx

    Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
    http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html

    Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/1/8/918ed2d3-71d0-40ed-8e6d-fd6eeb6cfa07/ts_rules.doc

    Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
    http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.mspx

    Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
    http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/partners/hardwarepartners.mspx
    Phillip Windell, Jul 16, 2008
  7. Person

    Person Guest

    In message <>, Phillip Windell
    <> writes
    >"Person" <> wrote in message
    >> In message <>, "Jack
    >> (MVP-Networking)." <> writes
    >>>Hi
    >>>1394 is Firewire socket. If you do not need it Disable it and it will not
    >>>create a bridge any more.
    >>>Jack (MVP-Networking).

    >> Thanks............Now working OK

    >You told me you removed the bridging and still had the problem. So what's
    >the story?

    Disabled & then removed bridging but still couldn't access the Internet.
    Had to type my wireless mac address onto my router settings then it
    worked.
    >Disabling the 1394 Connection will prevent it from bridging but it should
    >not need disabled for the wireless to work,..just don't have it bridged
    >that's all. The laptop I am typing this from is using Wireless (with
    >WPA),...has the 1394 Connection enabled, but not bridged,..everything is
    >fine.

    Thankyou
    --
    Des
    Person, Jul 16, 2008
  8. "Person" <> wrote in message

    > Disabled & then removed bridging but still couldn't access the Internet.
    > Had to type my wireless mac address onto my router settings then it
    > worked.

    Ok. That means you have MAC filtering enabled on the device and you had not
    entered the correct MACs to the allow list. That was effectively your
    trouble all along.
    Phillip Windell, Jul 16, 2008
  9. Person

    Person Guest

    In message <>, Phillip Windell
    <> writes
    >"Person" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Disabled & then removed bridging but still couldn't access the Internet.
    >> Had to type my wireless mac address onto my router settings then it
    >> worked.

    >Ok. That means you have MAC filtering enabled on the device and you had not
    >entered the correct MACs to the allow list. That was effectively your
    >trouble all along.

    It wasn't a case of incorrect MAC - It was just that I hadn't entered
    the wireless details of the laptop. Just had the MAC of the laptop
    entered. I was just surprised that I had to enter it in the first place
    to communicate with my router. Though that just by entering the wep
    keys should be enough to get me connected.

    --
    Des
    Person, Jul 18, 2008
  10. "Person" <> wrote in message
    > entered. I was just surprised that I had to enter it in the first place
    > to communicate with my router.

    You wouldn't. That is my point. You have MAC Filtering enabled,...which
    normally isn't. When it is enabled you have to give it a list of allowed
    MACs or nothing works. Disable the filtering, and MACs become irrelevant,
    which is the normal way since large LANs don't want to inventory all the
    MACs and try to keep the Allow List current for hundreds of machines on
    possibly multiple wireless devices.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jul 18, 2008
  11. Person

    John Guest

    "Person" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>, Phillip Windell
    > <> writes
    >>"Person" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Disabled & then removed bridging but still couldn't access the Internet.
    >>> Had to type my wireless mac address onto my router settings then it
    >>> worked.

    >>Ok. That means you have MAC filtering enabled on the device and you had
    >>not
    >>entered the correct MACs to the allow list. That was effectively your
    >>trouble all along.
    >>

    > It wasn't a case of incorrect MAC -

    Oh really? That's how it sounds to me. What was it then?

    > It was just that I hadn't entered the wireless details of the laptop.

    What exactly is "wireless details" of the laptop? Where did you enter the
    "details" into?

    > Just had the MAC of the laptop entered.

    So, there's a laptop MAC and a laptop "wireless details" that you must enter
    into something (router?). I've never heard of the latter.

    > I was just surprised that I had to enter it in the first place to
    > communicate with my router.

    No you wouldn't have to if MAC filter is disabled (the default MAC filter
    setting is disabled).

    > Though that just by entering the wep keys should be enough to get me
    > connected.

    It is. MAC filter is just a P.I.T.A. Bump up your security to (at least) WPA
    with a long and hard to guess shared key. Disable the rest such as: MAC
    filter, hide SSID etc.

    John, Jul 18, 2008
  12. Person

    Person Guest

    In message <>, Phillip Windell
    <> writes
    >"Person" <> wrote in message
    >> entered. I was just surprised that I had to enter it in the first place
    >> to communicate with my router.

    >You wouldn't. That is my point. You have MAC Filtering enabled,...which
    >normally isn't. When it is enabled you have to give it a list of allowed
    >MACs or nothing works. Disable the filtering, and MACs become irrelevant,
    >which is the normal way since large LANs don't want to inventory all the
    >MACs and try to keep the Allow List current for hundreds of machines on
    >possibly multiple wireless devices.

    OK - thankyou
    --
    Des
    Person, Jul 18, 2008
  13. Person

    Person Guest

    In message <O#>, John <a@?.?.invalid>
    writes

    >It is. MAC filter is just a P.I.T.A. Bump up your security to (at least) WPA
    >with a long and hard to guess shared key. Disable the rest such as: MAC
    >filter, hide SSID etc.

    I have an ipaq hp4150 that will only work using wep security

    --
    Des
    Person, Jul 18, 2008
  14. Person

    DeeJay Guest

    "Person" <> wrote in message
    > In message <O#>, John <a@?.?.invalid>
    > writes
    >>
    >>It is. MAC filter is just a P.I.T.A. Bump up your security to (at least)
    >>WPA
    >>with a long and hard to guess shared key. Disable the rest such as: MAC
    >>filter, hide SSID etc.
    >>

    > I have an ipaq hp4150 that will only work using wep security

    Have you upgraded the firmware? 4150 supports WPA according to this:

    Is this the correct firmware?
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...wEnvOID=2008&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=3

    DeeJay, Jul 19, 2008
  15. Person

    Person Guest

    In message <e1CR
    >, DeeJay <>
    writes

    >"Person" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have an ipaq hp4150 that will only work using wep security

    Recently upgraded firmware to 1.10. To be honest I've not tried WPA
    since the upgrade (will try later today). One other question that I'd
    like to ask is that a couple of years ago I used to be able to use SKYPE
    on this pda. Had a few problems with the machine earlier this year and
    lost most of the things I had installed. Tried to re-install skype but
    the pda comes up with 'not a valid windows setup or file? Tried all
    sorts of download methods but it seems that the latest skype doesn't
    support hp4150 (wm2003). Is this correct and is there a place that I
    could download an earlier version of skype?

    Thanks

    >Have you upgraded the firmware? 4150 supports WPA according to this:
    >http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3458

    Will try later today

    --
    Des